Flying ex-DUB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold
Flying ex-DUB

Morning

I think I might have a problem.....

...so, I live near London and have booked flights DUB-LHR-SFO & IAH-LHR, LCY-DUB for our upcoming trip to the USA. On the return to DUB, the flight is from LCY so I will just get my luggage routed IAH-LHR so this shouldn't be an issue.

However, for my positioning flight to DUB, I have not booked any luggage allowance as I was going HBO. I was then planning to not check any luggage in DUB-LHR, go through security at T5, go home to get my cases, return to T5 and check my luggage in......will this be possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Semtex
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
If there is sufficient time between arriving at LHR from DUB, and then departing LHR to SFO, I think you should be able to simply exit through the UK border when you land from DUB, and then exit the airport and come back with your luggage later and check it in. Just make sure that when you check in at DUB that you mention this, and so don't check 0 all the way through. And perhaps don't mention your flyertalk handle whilst doing so!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by semtex1871
However, for my positioning flight to DUB, I have not booked any luggage allowance as I was going HBO. I was then planning to not check any luggage in DUB-LHR, go through security at T5, go home to get my cases, return to T5 and check my luggage in......will this be possible?
Yes, this is absolutely fine. If you don't want to take your luggage to DUB your options are:

1. Check your luggage at T5 for LHR-SFO before flying LHR-DUB-LHR. This is usually not a problem to do, but there are reports of agents refusing. This only works if LHR-DUB-LHR and LHR-SFO are on the same day.

2. Leave your bags at the left luggage in T5 (landside ground floor between international and UK arrivals at the northern end of T5, opposite Giraffe), do LHR-DUB-LHR, come out landside and collect the bag, check in for LHR-SFO. Obviously requires you have enough time to do this.

3. Do LHR-DUB-LHR and leave bag in car or at home, have enough time between arriving back at LHR and LHR-SFO to go and get bag, check it in for LHR-SFO. Again requires you have enough time to do this between ariving at LHR and leaving on your longhaul.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, this is absolutely fine. If you don't want to take your luggage to DUB your options are:

1. Check your luggage at T5 for LHR-SFO before flying LHR-DUB-LHR. This is usually not a problem to do, but there are reports of agents refusing. This only works if LHR-DUB-LHR and LHR-SFO are on the same day.

2. Leave your bags at the left luggage in T5 (landside ground floor between international and UK arrivals at the northern end of T5, opposite Giraffe), do LHR-DUB-LHR, come out landside and collect the bag, check in for LHR-SFO. Obviously requires you have enough time to do this.

3. Do LHR-DUB-LHR and leave bag in car or at home, have enough time between arriving back at LHR and LHR-SFO to go and get bag, check it in for LHR-SFO. Again requires you have enough time to do this between ariving at LHR and leaving on your longhaul.
Thanks for the replies...

My flight DUB-LHR lands at 09.05 and my flight LHR-SFO is not until 14.00 so time between flights is not an issue. For some reason, I have suddenly thought that because I will have checked in for the entire flight in DUB, that if I go through security at LHR to get my bags and check in again at LHR they might wonder why????

*snuffi* I won't mention my forum name for obvious reasons!!!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For some reason, I have suddenly thought that because I will have checked in for the entire flight in DUB, that if I go through security at LHR to get my bags and check in again at LHR they might wonder why????
Not a problem. No one will ask if you go out landside between arriving from DUB and before your SFO flight departs, and even if they do you can just tell the truth that you went to get a bag you need to check in.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:03 am
Original Poster

thanks KARFA & snuffi for your replies....much appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
This also only works if you are entitled to use the First or CW check-in desks. It may be that the OP is flying in First or CW, or has appropriate status, but there are some passengers who wouldn't be able to do this because T5 will only accept a bag from them three hours (or whatever the current limit is) before the LHR-SFO flight.
My flight DUB-LHR lands at 09.05 and my flight LHR-SFO is not until 14.00 so time between flights is not an issue.
It's not an issue if everything is on time.

However, what if your DUB-LHR flight is running (say) 3 hours late? You'll need to have a contingency plan for that. You may then not have enough time to go home and get your bag between flights.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
I did exactly this, so long as you have enough time to go and collect your luggage there is no issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.