Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally a decent single malt in GC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It's a step in the right direction if only temporarily ^

What's needs is a real whisky. Perhaps one of my favourites: Laphroaig, cask strength. I can hope

H
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Talisker 18, the rest is just details.

Horrific siting of Haig in the south lounge for those who like their whisky tasteless , overpriced and in aftershave bottles
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Talisker 18, the rest is just details.
If there was Talisker 18 in the lounge I'd turn up very early for flights...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by icestealth
nothing at all its just not a Glenlivet 18.
I have to say that at home one of our staples is Glenlivet 18. The first time I tasted the 15 was in GC. You know what? It's completely different from the 18, and I rather liked it. I'm not saying it's better, but it does make for variety - especially as I don't get it at home!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
And in North a decent claret 2004 Cantanac Brown. And the quiche is much better than a few weeks ago..
I was very impressed by the brie and cranberry quiche in the T5B lounge last week - sadly the brie didn't serve to soak up as much champagne as I needed it to on my flight!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:19 am

Horrific siting of Haig in the south lounge for those who like their whisky tasteless , overpriced and in aftershave bottles
I thought exactly the same thing when my wife bought me a bottle last December. It took me about a month (one a week) to get used to the stuff and not want to pour it down the drain. It's not great but I have now finished the bottle.

A propos, Talisker 18 is a very nice whisky ^

H
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Quick OT question, what cognac brand do they have in the FLounge or the CCR? I've never been to both, but would like to know what is the offering compared to the Baron Otard in GC (which honestly isn't that bad )
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:36 am

Big fan of Glenlivet 18 not tried the Talisker 18 will give that a shot
I can't remember if it was VCE of CDG but they had 1L bottles of Glenlivet 18 on sale for €54, so cheaper than the non EU duty free. I should have stocked up but that would only encourage me to drink.
I also have to confess although not the biggest fan, when not travelling with work, I do feel obligated to have some Johnnie Walker Blue when in the F lounge just out of principle.
Most recently I've been in the Gatwick F lounge pre 7AM and see the JWB winking at me but alas when working that's just too early for a drink.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Not to be too pedantic, but whilst most scotch malt whisky does involve mixing the whisky from a batch that has been stored in many casks (as compared to a 'single cask' malt), it is only, legally, 'blended' if it is either a) a mix of whiskies from different distillaries or b) a mix of malt and grain whiskies.

A Lagavulin for me as a standard, though the Edradour cask strength finished in Moscatel casks is a winner too.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, GHA - Pan Pacific Hotels
If airlines would cask their net a bit wider the selection be better but alas the bean counters would rule it out. I prefer the cask strength 14 year old Scapa and an Old Pulteney (any age) hits the spot as well.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by JohnSnow
A Lagavulin for me as a standard
Ah yes, now you're talking proper whisky - wonderfully strong peaty taste and a lovely oily texture as you drink it. Perhaps not a 10am drink though ...

I spent a very happy day cycling between the Islay distilleries on a visit to the island one summer (well, at least the bits I can remember after three tours and tastings in the space of two hours), so I'm also partial to a drop of Laphroaig and Ardbeg.

Sadly I somehow doubt any of those will be appearing in a lounge anytime soon - as with Old Pulteney, which has that unique salty taste, they're not exactly a mainstream choice, and pretty expensive as well.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Quick OT question, what cognac brand do they have in the FLounge or the CCR? I've never been to both, but would like to know what is the offering compared to the Baron Otard in GC (which honestly isn't that bad )
Same in GF, used to be Otard XO but BA obviously realised that
most of their customers are clueless and mix it with Coke anyway.

How many Cognac glasses have you seen in any of the lounges.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:52 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
They really need to start getting some Islay distilleries in the lounges. Something to put hairs on your chest!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Same in GF, used to be Otard XO but BA obviously realised that
most of their customers are clueless and mix it with Coke anyway.

How many Cognac glasses have you seen in any of the lounges.
Cognac and coke? ugh, wouldn't dream of it, I rather like my cognac pure or in the old fashioned cocktail

Otard XO is excellent, tastes very good and is not too expensive for an XO.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by rxfleming
They really need to start getting some Islay distilleries in the lounges. Something to put hairs on your chest!
Both times I have flown on a redemption in F I completed a comments card to that effect ... I'll keep trying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.