Search

T3 Disabled Loos - ONLY for Disabled??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:34 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
T3 Disabled Loos - ONLY for Disabled??

I caught a BA flight yesterday from T3 and it went from Gate 5A. Pretty much opposite the entrance to Gate 5A is a solitary disabled loo...but no other loos.

So having missed the loos further back at the end of the long walkway I used this loo opposite gate 5A as it seemed easier than doubling back. But on me exiting this loo (I was only in there for 2 minutes) I was met by a very angry lady, mid 50s with a walking stick who shouted at me that this was a disabled toilet and I should not be using it. Not content with having said that she repeated it, called me selfish and a few other names too

Now I always thought toilets labeled "Disabled" were not exclusively for the use of disabled people, more that it was a toilet that could be used by anyone but it had facilities for disabled people too? There are exceptions of course because some need the RADAR key issued to disabled people....but in these situations there are usually separate "normal" Ladies and Gents for everyone to use in the immediate vicinity.

I did try pointing out politely to the lady that there were no separate Ladies and Gents next to this loo and this was why I had used it...but she wasn't listening as she was just shouting at me as she went in. Her rant was loud enough for people queing at Gate 5A to stop their conversations and look up at the altercation.

So....are solitary disabled loos (with no normal loos adjacent) exclusively for disabled folks as she was ranting? Because I never thought they were but am happy to be educated and not use them again
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
I would have to agree with you, and I have always understood that disabled toilets were able to accommodate those with special needs but were not exclusively for people with special needs.

I infrequently use the disabled toilets if its an 'urgent' need and I can't find the Gents close by...

I am not sure how I would have responded to a ranting person had I been in your situation, but walking away seems to be the best policy when dealing with someone who is exhibiting irrational behaviour...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I share your view: no exclusivity...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Was this lady Heathrow Airport staff or just another passenger? Probably a job-worths if the former.

I appreciate being considerate to disabled people but some toilets are very poorly placed.

To be honest, the same issue arises at London City Airport with the LCYCW service. The Lounge is at the gate but nearest toilets are the disabled one is the only toilet in the eastern extension without heading back into the terminal which I am not sure you can do nowadays.

If she was not blocking my path, I would just say "emergency' bad curry and just head on in. But it is have the sense of mind to think quickly.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
How dare she assume that you were not disabled!

People have to use disabled toilets for a variety of reasons, not all of them obvious. I think she was totally in the wrong, and rude to call you out on it.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The signs don't say 'disabled only' but it is intimated that they would have priority - especially where there are a bank of toilets.

And in these days where people have hidden disabilities it's no one elses business who uses them. They are not solely for the wheelchair or walking stick user. So she was showing her ignorance of the 'who is disabled' issue

A friend of mine used to have a stoma bag. From looking at him you would think he was a fine figure of a strapping lad but he needed extra space when sorting out his bag so would use the disabled ones.

And what would this woman have said if she was at the coffee shop I was at last week when the 'normal' loo was closed and the only available one was the disabled one? Would she have insisted that it be only for disabled people?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
As the parent of a disabled daughter, it is incredibly frustrating when apparently able bodied people occupy disabled toilets, particularly when they are located in close proximity or next to other toilets. My daughter can't use a regular toilet so I do think it is inconsiderate.
Worse are able body drivers who occupy disabled parking bays, even for a few minutes.
Until you are disabled or have a disabled child, you won't understand the problems faced on a daily basis. I hope you aren't ever placed in my daughter's position so you know just how difficult life is for her. If you are, you will look at things differently and every little act of consideration is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I never use a disabled toilet unless instructed to do so....for example, if the gents is out of order.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The signs don't say 'disabled only' but it is intimated that they would have priority - especially where there are a bank of toilets.
Likewise the 'Ladies' don't say 'Ladies Only' but they do intimate that ladies will have priority.

My personal opinion: if all others occupied, and you're desperate, use the disabled. Otherwise they should be kept available.

I don't agree with the woman shouting at you, but I'm not sure "seemed easier than doubling back" is a good enough reason IMHO.

It's difficult trying to enforce use of disabled toilets because disabled is difficult to define and a wide spectrum. Offence is easily caused.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I was instructed to use the disabled loos in T3 two weeks ago.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by gcuk
it is incredibly frustrating when apparently able bodied people occupy disabled toilets
Context aside (and I have personal experience of your situation gcuk), I think that the issue here is the assumption that just because someone is able to walk without an aid that they are not able to use the disabled toilets. There are all manner of situations were someone who is able to walk without a stick, or not to display any outward indications that they are not able-bodied, need to use the loo. Just because the woman in the OP did not see this, does not mean that she can judge someone coming out, or that they did not need to use the toilet.

Accessible loos are there to help eveyone, and it is considerate to save them for people who most need them; but if there is no alternative then they are fair game. That woman just needs to be a little bit more tolerant, in my humble opinion.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:09 pm

Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk
As the parent of a disabled daughter, it is incredibly frustrating when apparently able bodied people occupy disabled toilets, particularly when they are located in close proximity or next to other toilets. My daughter can't use a regular toilet so I do think it is inconsiderate.
Worse are able body drivers who occupy disabled parking bays, even for a few minutes.
Until you are disabled or have a disabled child, you won't understand the problems faced on a daily basis. I hope you aren't ever placed in my daughter's position so you know just how difficult life is for her. If you are, you will look at things differently and every little act of consideration is greatly appreciated.
I don't believe that you can equate parking for the disabled with use of a washroom equipped for use by the disabled. The former is clearly exclusive and requires the legitimate use and display of a blue badge. The latter is a joint use facility which is additionally equipped to make it easier for those with disabilities.

It is rare for example to find male and female disabled washrooms adjacent to one another and where they do exist, common courtesy would be that men use male designated facilities and women the female variant.

At LHR T5 baggage reclaim the washrooms are inconveniently located almost at each of the terminal whilst in the centre there is a single disabled facility. I have used this on many occasions and have no compunction of doing so ( aside from the fact that is generally in a disgusting state thanks to the lack of cleaning of toilets in general at LHR) either at Heathrow or anywhere else. Would I give a disabled person priority if there was a queue? Of course I would but I would not leave one empty on the off chance someone was going to come along, when I am in need!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by HilFly
How dare she assume that you were not disabled!

People have to use disabled toilets for a variety of reasons, not all of them obvious. I think she was totally in the wrong, and rude to call you out on it.
Indeed - maybe she should take a read of this blog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.