Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance multi-city

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Baggage allowance multi-city

I'm mid way through a multi-city trip on a single booking. Last outbound London segment I had an allowance of 2 free checked bags but this mornings flight from Italy only 1. Not a HBO fare and I could pre-assign seats as normal. Is this a change to Silver benefits I'm unaware of?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I thought that the most generous baggage allowance on any one flight applies to all the flights on the same booking. Isn't that the case?

Only yesterday I was considering making a 13 flight booking which contains one WT+ sector, so I'd assume that the 2 free bags would apply to all the 13 flights.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by headingwest
I thought that the most generous baggage allowance on any one flight applies to all the flights on the same booking. Isn't that the case?

Only yesterday I was considering making a 13 flight booking which contains one WT+ sector, so I'd assume that the 2 free bags would apply to all the 13 flights.
Are all flights on BA? The allowance is calculated per check in ( except where the destination is USA ) . If all is on BA, you should get 2 pieces per check in but if there are other airlines in the mix the allowance could vary check in by check in
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are all flights on BA? The allowance is calculated per check in ( except where the destination is USA ) . If all is on BA, you should get 2 pieces per check in but if there are other airlines in the mix the allowance could vary check in by check in
all BA coded, but on BA, IB, CX, AY, AA, US metal! So the allowance is different? I didn't know that, not that it's an issue for me as I usually fly HBO.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
all BA coded, on BA, IB, CX, AY, AA, US metal! So the allowance is still different?
For tickets issued prior to 1 April, The allowance is that of the operating carrier ; if after the 1st april then that of the marketing carrier applies

The CX website nicely describes the rules ( http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...r-journey.html )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 28, 2015 at 5:05 am
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:00 am

Aha, good to know. Thanks Dave Noble
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For tickets issued prior to 1 April, The allowance is that of the operating carrier ; if after the 1st april then that of the marketing carrier applies

The CX website nicely describes the rules ( http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...r-journey.html )
So is the BA website "off the pace" (again) as it states:

If your journey includes connecting flights with more than one airline, the checked baggage policy of the airline that operates the longer leg will apply.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...#otherairlines
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:33 am

YES- For tickets issued from 1 April, the use of MSC has changed and is now not longer the most significant operating carrier but the most significant marketing carrier

The use of MSC is not determined necessarily by length of the flight, though the example of US-EU with AA-BA is correct

The CX site wording is much better at describing how to determine allowance , though even that is not exhaustive in examples
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

My flights are all BA ticketed and operated. Flight 1/4 =2 bags. Flight 2/4 =1 bag. See what Tuesday brings I guess.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

As an update it appears all sectors to or from LGW offer 2 bags at OLCI whereas LHR offer only 1. All flights on BA in economy and in same booking.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:17 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by rosswill
My flights are all BA ticketed and operated. Flight 1/4 =2 bags. Flight 2/4 =1 bag. See what Tuesday brings I guess.
Originally Posted by rosswill
As an update it appears all sectors to or from LGW offer 2 bags at OLCI whereas LHR offer only 1. All flights on BA in economy and in same booking.
Are you being told this at checkin or are you using information from MMB?
MMB often incorrectly displays baggage allowance, especially for mixed class and status passengers.

As per the BA baggage page, as BA Silver you have a minimum 2x32kg allowance.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

Also for single bookings, the highest allowance applies for the whole journey. So if you had a CW segment and the rest WT then the CW allowance carries through.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Are you being told this at checkin or are you using information from MMB?
MMB often incorrectly displays baggage allowance, especially for mixed class and status passengers.

As per the BA baggage page, as BA Silver you have a minimum 2x32kg allowance.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

Also for single bookings, the highest allowance applies for the whole journey. So if you had a CW segment and the rest WT then the CW allowance carries through.
No this is with OLCI rather than the airport. Flight tomorrow back to LGW is showing 2 bags. Flight out of LHR showed 1. Maybe just the system as you suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.