Wiki Posts
Search

A split of the massive TP-run thread?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think this is a bad idea. We have been down this road before and people didn't stick to adding validity dates etc. Maybe it would work this time.

If we did this change do you see yourself becoming a more regular contributor of TP runs and posts to the TP run thread henkybaby?
Unfortunately I rarely just look for cheap flights but sometimes I am amazed by a fare for a flight I actually need. I posted those once or twice but got scolded because they were not cheap enough.

EDIT: I think I would actually prefer a solution where the main info is in the Wiki and you use a link to a pre-formatted post.

So:

£0.76/TP | £757 | 560TPs | BRU-DOH-BKK-DOH-BRU | I/I/I/I | QR | link
And the Post:
£0.76/TP | £757 | 560TPs | BRU-DOH-BKK-DOH-BRU | I/I/I/I | QR |
Found by:
Source:
Validity if known:
Travel dates if known:
Other information:
We already know when it was posted because that is part of the post information.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 16, 2015 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
The problem with validity is that it changes. Constantly.

Even if there is a sale that is supposed to end on a certain date, it is often extended, adding to confusion. There are also many fares that are just regular fares, ie without expiration dates but that doesn't mean they will never go away - they may still be removed at any time.

I'm all for having a current list, but the best way of doing so imho, is to list the fare basis and then everyone can use ExpertFlyer to check on the fare when needed.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agehall
I'm all for having a current list, but the best way of doing so imho, is to list the fare basis and then everyone can use ExpertFlyer to check on the fare when needed.
Not everyone knows what a 'fare basis' is... Sometimes they just find a really good deal...

But OK. Let's add "Fare Basis if known" to the information in the post ^
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's not how cheap they are henkybaby which solely determines whether things should go on the TP run thread, there are separate threads for sale fares.

The TP run thread is concerned with fares which deliver 1 TP for £3 or less as noted at the top of the wiki. So a cheap Y fare in the discounted fare buckets would probably never appear in the thread - even a £150 return for LHR-JFK in O class would be above £3 per TP and therefore not be in the thread.

Basically if you did post a deal which was above £3 per TP it wouldn't be added to the wiki, but obviously you should add it to one of the sale fare threads instead. I suspect that is why when you did post something it was suggested that there were other more appropriate threads.

EDIT: btw Calchas's suggestion that a fare delivering >£6 per TP was hardly a scolding! He was in that post, and I find always is, very polite and friendly in his posts.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not how cheap they are henkybaby which solely determines whether things should go on the TP run thread, there are separate threads for sale fares.
I know.

It was just above GBP 3 per TP but as it was on CX F I figured it should be additionally valued.

I'd rather pay GBP 3 per TP in CX F than GBP 1,8 in BA J. I'm not just buying it; I'm flying it !

Get your point though. No worries. ^
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Not to be too critical (because what people do here is all out of the goodness of their hearts) but 3 examples from the WIKI

Certainly expired...
Then you should remove it from the wiki, that is why an expiry date is there. We don't yet have a robot who deletes fares automatically.

Can I suggest:

Price per Tier Point | Total Price | Total Tier Points | Route | Booking Classes | Booking Channel | Credit | Airlines | Posting Date | Travel Dates (if known) | Validity (if known | Notes (if applicable)
Alas the fares are a wee bit more complicated than this. For example, the current DUB-HNL ILR28AP fare has the following restriction:
Code:
   PERMITTED 25JUN THROUGH 22AUG OR 23NOV THROUGH 30NOV
   OR 18DEC THROUGH 04JAN OR 28MAR THROUGH 12APR ON THE
   OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON DATE
   OF ORIGIN.
Alternatively post the additional information in the thread and simplify the wiki
^

Not everyone knows what a 'fare basis' is... Sometimes they just find a really good deal...

But OK. Let's add "Fare Basis if known" to the information in the post ^
We can find it for them if they post enough detail about the deal they found. No one is required to know about fare details but most of us in the thread to prefer to discuss things in more precise detail than "I found this price on expedia it seems to work in November". Or at least, I do

Unfortunately I rarely just look for cheap flights
but sometimes I am amazed by a fare for a flight I actually need. I posted those once or twice but got scolded because they were not cheap enough.
If my reply to that qualified as a scolding, I really do not know how I can be nice about it.

EDIT: I think I would actually prefer a solution where the main info is in the Wiki and you use a link to a pre-formatted post.
^ Sounds good. One problem is that only the original poster or a moderator can amend his posts. So we could agree that an old fare can be re-posted and re-linked if it changes (or needs correction), but the original post is to be cited?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Then you should remove it from the wiki, that is why an expiry date is there. We don't yet have a robot who deletes fares automatically.
Yes, sorry I haven't yet removed the link to the recent ILR28SALE fare from the top of the wiki. It does have a clear book by date though so I don't think anyone is wasting any time trying to book it now.

Alas the fares are a wee bit more complicated than this. For example, the current DUB-HNL ILR28AP fare has the following restriction:
It is certainly the format I have adopted for the headline exEU sale fare listed at the top of the wiki, i.e. brief details in the wiki with a link to a post with full details in it. I think it works well (?), and is fine for those kinds of sale like the new QR one mentioned on HFP today - anyone want to go to BKK btw?

I don't think the wiki + detailed post model works as well for other listed runs though and I don't think many people are going to be bothered to do it. So I think something betweeen what we have now and add perhaps an "added to wiki" date and "expiry/book by date" if known.

I certianly don't think telling people to conform to pre-formated or template posts details TP run fare details is going to work and is far more likely to discourage posting and drive people away which is precisely what some seem to think is the current issue.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 17, 2015 at 2:34 am Reason: spelling/typos
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it OK if I don't quote ?

Nobody really scolded me. They did 'bring it to my attention'. However, that is at the same time my point. At the time I was a pretty heavy user of the forum but I had no idea how this particular section worked. I was looking at it from time to time but rarely could find the fares posted.

The ILR28SALE was a recent positive exception which was very well explained and which I could find immediately. Probably because someone took the effort to enlighten me with normal English instead of IATA speak.

As I stated recently, until a few weeks ago I figured that the WIKIs were monitored... I know it makes no sense because it sort of contradicts the principle, but as FT became more commercial and controlled it would not have surprised me. Now I know better but still feel 'unqualified' to remove someone else's fare. Do I just delete it ? Move it ? Move it where ? Etc...

If you don't monitor or provide rules for posting in this thread the information to noise ratio becomes too low, except for people who look at it frequently or have a more profound understanding.

I am not trying to be a smartypants but just trying to provide some insight in the way an average user may think.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:55 am

I feel we are starting to go around in circles here. Like all committees we are in danger of talking a lot and doing nothing.

Can I suggest the following changes then:

1. Copy all current runs in to a post and link to as an archieve
2. Wipe all the current fares listed apart from the handful which are clearly still valid.
2. Change the format of the TP run fare to ask people to add "added to wiki" and "expiry/book by" dates
3. Keep the reference information in teh botoom section in the wiki and continue to keep it updated (it is currently up to date)

Other than that I can't see any clear and popular suggestions in this thread that are probably going to work.

Beyond that, we need to add some linked posts on things like:
1. How to search for, book, and maximise exEU runs to the US
2. General suggestions for runs to match TP ranges (e.g. 10-200, 210-500, 500+ etc.)
3. Some tips on itamatrix beyond those already linked in the wiki

In terms of the original suggestion of splitting, I don't get the sense there is much appetite for it apart from if we have another very cheap exUK pre-Christmas sale like last year where that was split off.

I am interested in hearing from those who are heavy posters on the thread, and also those who sometimes post (around 30 and above a year say).

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 17, 2015 at 4:05 am Reason: added the archieve point
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
And that is fine, but please post that in the thread and let someone who can figure out all the details post it in the wiki. Most of the time, that is the key to finding all the other info we want anyhow...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am interested in hearing from those who are heavy posters on the thread, and also those who sometimes post (around 30 and above a year say).
Here are the statistics so far for this year ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/misc....readid=1642006
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:53 am

Here are the statistics so far for this year ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/misc....readid=1642006
Thanks. I guess I am just trying to get a feel what regular/semi-regular posters want and agree with. I wouldn't want changes to happen which are disliked by all of those regular/semi-regular posters and contributors.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I guess I am just trying to get a feel what regular/semi-regular posters want and agree with. I wouldn't want changes to happen which are disliked by all of those regular/semi-regular posters and contributors.
^
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Wow. I'm pretty high up that list for someone who has never actually done a proper TP run!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.