Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting from LHR T5 to T3 - how long?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Connecting from LHR T5 to T3 - how long?

Morning,

Just had a search, but wanted to ask the question I have a flight in August from Milan to Chicago via LHR, coming into T5 and then leaving on American from T3, I have a connection time of just under 2 hours. Will that be enough, and once into T5 does the connection bus to T3 stay airside, so I do not have to re-clear security in T3.

Sorry for all the questions, but have only ever connected T5 - T5 in the past, and that was easy.

Many thanks,

AAF
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Yes it is long enough.

The bus does stay airside but I suspect you will have to clear security at t3 as you do at t5 unless it is a connection from a domestic flight
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can do it gate to gate in 45 minutes, an hour would be a bad day for me, so you should have a good 40 minute contingency in there if you have a 2 hour connection. In other words you have a reasonable connection period there, if on one ticket, are hand baggage only, or your checked bag is interlined between the terminals.

The bus leaves downstairs from Flight Connections and takes 11 minutes, 6 minute service frequency. Then there is security immediately upon arrival at T3, but no passports or customs. This used to be a bit sticky in the evenings, but the changing arrangements at T3 means this is less of a problem now. So you should be fine.

The only oddity to note, and it would be unusual from MIL to T5, is if you ended up at T5B, terminal B. In which case you can get your transfer bus from the ground floor level of that building rather than going all the way to T5A, the main building. See the Dashboard for a pictorial guide to that detail, which I reiterate is unusual, though not impossible, for LIN/MXP flights.

If you are on 2 tickets then there may be a risk in doing this, which you may want to examine.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
One thing to add to the above, the security staff in T5 will want to see proof that you have a flight from T3 before they let you downstairs to the bus so make sure you have something handy. On my first T5 to T3 transfer I had to faff around to get my iPad connected to the Heathrow WiFi and get my itinerary up whereas if I'd known I would have taken a screenshot in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can do it gate to gate in 45 minutes, an hour would be a bad day for me
Out of interest CWS, what is your par time for the reverse, T3 to T5?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Out of interest CWS, what is your par time for the reverse, T3 to T5?
The same, 45 minutes, but I go via the UK Border at T5 if I perceive Flight Connections is going to be sticky. Best time so far: 29 minutes.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
One thing to add to the above, the security staff in T5 will want to see proof that you have a flight from T3 before they let you downstairs to the bus so make sure you have something handy.
Only on domestic T5 arrivals -> Flight Connections should that happen (or I guess if you look splendidly lost). The OP is travelling from Milan so that won't apply.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Only on domestic T5 arrivals -> Flight Connections should that happen (or I guess if you look splendidly lost). The OP is travelling from Milan so that won't apply.
Does that mean you can get to T3 without a T3 BP if coming from international, or do they check again at the entrance to T3 security?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, to add that if you are doing a T5 INT -> T3 (or indeed T1/2/4 connection), the first time your bp will be checked once you leave your plane at T5 will be at security when you get to T1/2/3/4. There is no bp check at T5 in this situation and therefore you could just ride around on the airside buses all day if you wish.

The same also applies in reverse, so if you are doing T3 -> T5 then you just get the bus at T3 and there is no bp check until T5 FCC. In fact you can take advantage of this and use the airside bus to move around LHR even as an arriving passenger. I once left a bag at left luggage in T5 but was arriving at T3, so even though I had no further flights that day I got the airside bus to T5, cleared immigration in T5, and exited landside to collect my bag.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Does that mean you can get to T3 without a T3 BP if coming from international, or do they check again at the entrance to T3 security?
Well you don't need a boarding pass if coming from international or domestic. The boarding passes can be collected at the customer service desks at T3. Not having a boarding pass won't stop you using Flight Connections. If coming from domestic T5 you do need to show a reason for being airside (this is for a separate and now archaic reason related to customs and excise), so a printed or electronic itinerary will do.

That said, it's obviously best practice to have a boarding pass with you before flying, either by print or App.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for all the replies, if I can beat 29mins, I'll let you know, and hopefully the flight from LIN will not leave me at T5B or C, but as you say, get the bus from there direct to T3.

Thanks again,

AAF
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Got a similar situation but on separate tickets. I land at T5 from NCL at 0905 and got a flight from T3 on VS at 1055. I know its cutting it fine but that's the only option I have that day.

Will be travelling on my own and don't need any time in lounge so need to be at T3 check in by 0955.

Should be possible right? The flight is the first departure from NCL for BA so there should be no delays and the aircraft would have come in the night before. Worst case scenario if there is a 20 minute delay till I get my luggage I should be able to make it to T3 in 15 mins?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
So these are separate tickets?

The 0905 might be the first departure from NCL, but I very much doubt it is a nightstop - it most likely comes in from LHR that morning, which makes it prone to delays.

Baggage delivery can take a while - especially on shorter domestics where most pax connect, as it seems like connecting baggage is dealt with first. That said, I have only waited a couple of minutes once or twice.

It takes up to 20 minutes to get to T3 if you have just missed the HEX, in which case I'd check to see when the next Tube is.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BA6501
So these are separate tickets?

The 0905 might be the first departure from NCL, but I very much doubt it is a nightstop - it most likely comes in from LHR that morning, which makes it prone to delays.

Baggage delivery can take a while - especially on shorter domestics where most pax connect, as it seems like connecting baggage is dealt with first. That said, I have only waited a couple of minutes once or twice.

It takes up to 20 minutes to get to T3 if you have just missed the HEX, in which case I'd check to see when the next Tube is.
So say if I get in at 0905 is it reasonable to assume I should be in T3 by 0945?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Got a similar situation but on separate tickets. I land at T5 from NCL at 0905 and got a flight from T3 on VS at 1055. I know its cutting it fine but that's the only option I have that day.

Will be travelling on my own and don't need any time in lounge so need to be at T3 check in by 0955.

Should be possible right? The flight is the first departure from NCL for BA so there should be no delays and the aircraft would have come in the night before. Worst case scenario if there is a 20 minute delay till I get my luggage I should be able to make it to T3 in 15 mins?
Probably fine to do with hand baggage only. I'd say you have a more than 50% chance of missing your VS flight with checked bags.

Even assuming you arrive on time and get your bags within 20 mins of landing, you'll be landside and need to get the HEX or tube to T3. That could take up to a further 20 mins depending on how long you have to wait. I'd budget another 5-10 to walk to VS check in. All this takes us around to around 0955 meaning a 5-10 min delay anywhere along the line means you'll miss check in.

Why don't you come down the night before and overnight in london? Or travel with hang baggage only? Will be much less stressful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.