Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your BA pricing point?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by chris1979
I don't want to be the guy who tells you that Santa doesnt exist, but, Paul, sadly, I'm afraid, you WILL get older.....

Chris, not only does he exist, but the "Ryan Bingham" character in "Up in The Air" seems to modelled on him - flying all over distributing packages. Albeit Santa has a shorter and a more international travel schedule - probably Hollywood screen adaptation there though.

Back on thread .... I had an interesting price point decision two weeks ago. I needed a short notice one way Nairobi- London, clients will pay BA WTP and I can pay extra to upgrade, fly different airline etc.

BA could offer WTP for £1600 with CW about £3000, Emirates, with a stop in Dubai offerred F for £1630. I had to recheck the figures a few times there, thinking I had the calculations wrong. When I realised my calculations were correct, I had a think about that for a few milliseconds before deciding a short stay in Dubai was worth the inconvenience and the cash surcharge.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by michalis

What about Indian carriers? Russian? US? Indonesian? the list can go on.

I don't agree with a lot of the US government foreign policy and unnecessary military actions over the years but that doesn't make me avoid US carriers or not visit the US.

What about 37% of Irish opposing gay marriage in the referendum? Shall I avoid going to Ireland too?

My point being is that there will always be something that I disagree with, but I am not sure I understand the avoidance of specifically ME carriers on the grounds of 'corruption'.
It isn't for other people to understand, those are just my principles which others may disagree with, find irrational, or support.

I don't think it's wise to derail the thread with a discussion on my objection on giving money to Middle Eastern businesses. There's OMNI for that - and even then you'll get a very American perspective on the issue (not that that's a problem, just it doesn't lend itself to a rounded discussion.). Specific to this thread, I'm concerned about anti-competitive airlines backed up by medieval or oppressive governments.

My point is, I'm a very flexible customer and I can afford to have principles. I don't have family or a business out there either. That all feeds into my "price point" when deciding on an airline and destination.

Other equally valid principles are available.

PS: Did you know 37% of Ireland's population are priests? It's true you know.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I don't want to be the guy who tells you that Santa doesnt exist, but, Paul, sadly, I'm afraid, you WILL get older.....
I might not if I fly TK.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There are so many factors that go into the equation, it's a) complicated and b) entirely personal. How much do you value miles in each currency? How much do you value your own time? How much disincentive is the extra stress from connections / switching airlines / more stops? How much do you prefer better food? How much do you prefer better seats? How much do you prefer one style of service over another, or do you care at all? Which lounges do you prefer? And many more factors.

I do have my own value system for the route I do regularly (in economy booking class) which is roughly as follows: £10 for lounge access per direction, £40 per extra hour of travelling on the way out, £60 on the way back, £100 for being in UA's Economy Plus over regular economy on BA, per direction, UA miles at 1p per mile, Avios at 0.5p per mile, better service (BA over UA) £5 per direction, better food (the two are similar) £10 per direction. LHR over LGW £20 and so on. It's my rule of thumb so I can quickly compare lots of available options at prices varying wildly.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Interesting feedback - I will do a TR (including my FR positioning flight!)

The cabin actually seems relatively busy on my outbound sector already - WW has indicated that this route has had some strong forward bookings, so that's good news.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: ABBA
I've rarely flown BA this year. My first trip was off to LA, with lots of notice (4 weeks). I believe BA wanted £2700 in WTP. I found a US J/F via PHL out, BA back for £2k. No brainer.

Later in the year it was a trip to Singapore and Syndey, aobut a weeks notice. BA wanted £3750 in WTP via LHR and SIN. Finn air wanted £3800 in J to HEL/SIN, and CW SIN-SYD and back. Got an op-up to F on the return leg.

This trip was a 4 day notice to Singapore. BA wanted £2700 in WTP. Qatar wanted £1800 in J.

Since meeting my BA account manager who told me I should fly with someone else, I have flown 2 BA flights, spent £60, and 6000 avios. I've spent far less with Iberia, Finnair and Qatar in business than I would have on BA in WTP, and renewed GGL (1740tp rather than 880), which there's no way I would under BA only.

My BA pricing point collapsed because BA decided to charge me an extra £200 twice a year for a european city break. It's lost BA nearly £10k in revenue over the last 5 months, of which they've picked up, I would estimate, £2k in code shares.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Since meeting my BA account manager who told me I should fly with someone else
Now there's a honest salesman. What was his argument?
Old May 25, 2015, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by paulwuk

My BA pricing point collapsed because BA decided to charge me an extra £200 twice a year for a european city break. It's lost BA nearly £10k in revenue over the last 5 months, of which they've picked up, I would estimate, £2k in code shares.
As long as they can sell tickets to those who are prepared to pay more than you then they won't care about your £10k.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
So, for me it seems, BA is worth £600 difference compared to TK. All the more when I found they wanted £1,300 for a WTP return from London or £700 odd for Traveller. I wouldn't pay that, but I have paid £1,600 for J.

Am I mad or is this good value?!
Bit confused about the logic regarding avios collection being the main driver here. Sure I'm being dim as usual!

The EK fare is 270 cheaper, plus your positioning flight gives a difference of 330. That can buy you about 20k in avios. How many will you earn from the trip?
Old May 25, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
There are so many factors that go into the equation, it's a) complicated and b) entirely personal. How much do you value miles in each currency? How much do you value your own time? How much disincentive is the extra stress from connections / switching airlines / more stops? How much do you prefer better food? How much do you prefer better seats? How much do you prefer one style of service over another, or do you care at all? Which lounges do you prefer? And many more factors.

I do have my own value system for the route I do regularly (in economy booking class) which is roughly as follows: £10 for lounge access per direction, £40 per extra hour of travelling on the way out, £60 on the way back, £100 for being in UA's Economy Plus over regular economy on BA, per direction, UA miles at 1p per mile, Avios at 0.5p per mile, better service (BA over UA) £5 per direction, better food (the two are similar) £10 per direction. LHR over LGW £20 and so on. It's my rule of thumb so I can quickly compare lots of available options at prices varying wildly.
Crickey. That's one formula!
Old May 25, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
For me it's a subjective "Does this feel like good value?" with some consideration based on whether I'm paying just for myself or whether my girlfriend is also travelling. Hence my trip home for Christmas is J with AA overnight from LAX but WTP on the return to LAS as the price difference for a J return was just too much when multiplied by the three of us!

The current BA sale for flights starting in the USA is pretty good value to / from LHR but once you add on feeder flights and flights within the UK it's not quite so good. That said, had it been just me flying I'd have booked J throughout.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Crickey. That's one formula!
But hasn't lhrsfo forgotten to also multiply by the price of tea in China?
Old May 26, 2015, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Brilliant - makes price comparison a breeze! I especially like the value you put on the extra hours of flying.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: BA
This is a great thread - thanks to the OP. I would have gone TK, I like TK but I still think you got a very good price with BA. Also encouraging to see some good old fashioned prejudice against TK - that infamous corrupt middle eastern airline.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by trustmeimastomach
Also encouraging to see some good old fashioned prejudice against TK - that infamous corrupt middle eastern airline.
Like for Genius1, TK is on my "no fly" list, but not because it's either corrupt (I don't know) or Middle Eastern (I don't think so).

I think paul4040 summed it up best!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.