Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

what to expect compensation wise for broken F seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Hello all

I was just wondering what the compensation expectation would be for this. We recently travelled in F from LAX to LHR and at check in we were told that my dad's seat was stuck in the upright position and there was no power going to the mechanism that moves the seat. They said an engineer would try to fix it but if that failed the only option was a seat in club world. My dad didn't want that, and he didn't make much of a fuss as it wasnt the check in lady's fault and in the scheme of things not the end of the world! In the end they couldn't fix it and F was full so they told him to contact customer services for compensation. He hasn't done this as yet so I thought if I had some idea as to what he would get I could let him know in advance.

Thank you for any help you can give me
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
The standard for this is actually a rather healthy 100,000 Avios or £750, certainly in paid F. Not sure if there is a difference if the ticket is a reward ticket. I took the Avios the last time it happened to me. It was on a daytime flight to MIA, so not the end of the world. I would have been thoroughly miffed had it been a night flight though.

The CSD/CSM should actually have been pro-active on board and filled in the compensation claim for your Dad. Did anyone approach him?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: BA GGL
Deleted - clearly fat fingered between edit and reply buttons this morning!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Brill thanks for that! Nope no one filled one in for him. In fact the only thing anyone on board did was witter that it might not be in the take off mode, they asked my dad if it was, how would he know, there was no power to it ha.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:57 am

Did the crew not try to make a bed manually? If it was just the power to the seat that was not working, the crew should've at least offered to make a bed using manual power. It's pretty easy to do (we're all trained in it) and might have made your dad's journey more comfortable.

I've no idea about the compensation level, sorry.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
The standard for this is actually a rather healthy 100,000 Avios or £750, certainly in paid F.
I got a slightly less impressive 10k after my OF crowbar experience, although that was paid J OpUp to F at the gate.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I got a slightly less impressive 10k after my OF crowbar experience, although that was paid J OpUp to F at the gate.
As well as it being an OpUp, you only had a jammed table
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yesitsme
Did the crew not try to make a bed manually? If it was just the power to the seat that was not working, the crew should've at least offered to make a bed using manual power. It's pretty easy to do (we're all trained in it) and might have made your dad's journey more comfortable.

I've no idea about the compensation level, sorry.
Well perhaps it wasn't just that the power wadnt working then because they didn't do it manually.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
As well as it being an OpUp, you only had a jammed table
With hindsight I should have insisted the Purser stop trying to fix things. With the table jammed in its stowed position, I could have ignored the table and continued using the seat. Once the table was jammed out at 45 degrees, it was apparently unsafe to stay...
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:13 am

Urgh, my sympathies to your Dad. An upright seat on a long overnight flight like that is about as bad as it can get (bar disasters etc) when you've stumped up to fly F.

Hope BA sorts something decent out by way of compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.