Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary downgrade - What Avios and TP?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Voluntary downgrade - What Avios and TP?

I've already shared my experiences of my trip last week from DUB to LAS via LAX.

On the LAX to LAS route we found ourselves at the gate in the for the earlier flight. The AA gate agent explained that First was full but she could let us travel on the earlier flight in a Y exit row, which we accepted.

The TP and Avios have now posted, but they are the Y ones. IE. 20TP and 500 Avios with no cabin bonus.

Am I entitled to more?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:51 am

Normally no - on AA and US - you get what you're given.

I did a sort-of-voluntary downgrade a few weeks back to get where I needed to be in time. I was offered an F seat on a later flight - but the next flight was a Y-only flight.

As a result - I get Y TPs and Avios.

Same for you.

The exception I've found to this rule is where a BA flight causes you to misconnect and you result in the wrong cabin with an auto-rebooking. THEN you can protest and get the right points.

M.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: MUCCI
Just to be clear:

You arrived with time to catch an earlier flight than the one you were booked on?
There was space in the booked cabin on the originally booked flight?
There was no forecast problem with the later originally booked flight or weather?

If you elected to go earlier, and there was no problem with the flight you were booked on, then all your strong ammunition is gone.
They have given you something different from what you booked - at your choice.

That said, you could try arguing that - since no refund was given on the amount you had paid for the ticket - you assumed you would still be given miles and points based upon the cabin that you paid for, and you were invited to travel earlier, etc.

Doesn't hurt to ask and plead ignorance / reasonable expectation, but the change was at your request - and you have received points based upon what you elected to fly.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I've already shared my experiences of my trip last week from DUB to LAS via LAX.

On the LAX to LAS route we found ourselves at the gate in the for the earlier flight. The AA gate agent explained that First was full but she could let us travel on the earlier flight in a Y exit row, which we accepted.

The TP and Avios have now posted, but they are the Y ones. IE. 20TP and 500 Avios with no cabin bonus.

Am I entitled to more?
AA awards you the TPs for the cabin you fly in, so you aren't entitled to more. As you voluntary downgraded yourself then you've no case to put to them I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.