Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"On line check in is not available for this flight"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

LHR-AMS 25th March showing as above.

First time ever that I've seen this message. Why would this be?

Thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Have you made any changes to the booking? I would check you have a valid e-ticket using classic.checkmytrip.com. If you do then I would try again in another hour.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
I had this on my last flight, turned out my cabin was overbooked. We ended up getting bulkhead seats. 90% of the time it sorts itself out after a couple of hours though.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Have had it when they're still to load flight into system as well
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loads of reasons - flight being edited, flight not loaded on system, booking issue, ticketing issue, OLCI itself not working, something happening with your booking. Mostly it clears, occasionally it doesn't. Have had all of the above at various points since OLCI was implemented.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:41 am
SK

"Sorry, we can't check you in at the moment"

Tried to check-in online for a IST-LHR flight, and the website doesn't let me.
The flight is with an AA codeshare number (at LHR I transfer to continue my trip to the USA with AA).

Clicking on the "Check-in unavailable - why?" link, I get:

Sorry, we can't check you in at the moment but don't worry, if you give us a call, our agent may be able to 're-validate' or 're-issue' the ticket. Otherwise we can fix it at the airport.

So, I called, twice (Turkish and UK numbers) and they tell me the reason is that this is a AA codeshare, otherwise the ticket is fine. I know that's not true, because I have done this many times. Any ideas what may be going on?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by SK
The flight is with an AA codeshare number (at LHR I transfer to continue my trip to the USA with AA).

So, I called, twice (Turkish and UK numbers) and they tell me the reason is that this is a AA codeshare, otherwise the ticket is fine. I know that's not true, because I have done this many times. Any ideas what may be going on?
Is it a ticket issued by BA or by AA? If AA, call them to ask if anything is wrong with the ticket.

You may also need to use the record locator for the prime code (which is not normally revealed to you) rather than the codeshare record locator that you have now. BA will tell you it if you ask (and they're clued up enough). However, OLCI to a codeshare should work...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:18 am
SK

Cool

The ticket is by AA. And I have the BA record locator too. BA told me again that the codeshare is the reason I can't check-in online (as I said, I have checked in online similar codeshares dozens of times with no issues).

Anyway, neither BA nor AA have found anything wrong with the reservation or the ticket. At least BA managed to assign me a good seat, so that I don't get stuck with leftovers by the time I show up at the airport.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Absolute pain in the arse in Spain, esp when operating on IB metal - this is the reason. When I have a connection from a remote Spanish airport and HBO I still have to queue in the shambolic late line-up at LEI.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by SK
The ticket is by AA. And I have the BA record locator too. BA told me again that the codeshare is the reason I can't check-in online (as I said, I have checked in online similar codeshares dozens of times with no issues).

Anyway, neither BA nor AA have found anything wrong with the reservation or the ticket. At least BA managed to assign me a good seat, so that I don't get stuck with leftovers by the time I show up at the airport.
How complex is the itinerary? Sometimes there are actually three or more record locator numbers, but they only give you two of them by default. For example, I had a trip booked via AA:

CPH-BA-LHR-BA-JFK-AA-PHX-AA-LAX-AA-JFK-BA-LHR-BA-ARN

I was given BA and AA locator numbers. However, I couldn't pick a seat for the first segment. AA had that segment on a separate record locator number, likely due to the open jaw on the return, even though the CPH-LHR-JFK is all on the same day.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I have made two bookings in the last two days. One a BA ticket to BOM and the other an AA ticket to ZUR with return on BA metal. Both have not offered seat selection but phoning got them (key for upper deck on BOM). Never happened to me before.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have the same issue with seat selection not being available online. I am not sure whether it's because I have made a change to the booking and the ticket has yet to be reissued, but I was able to get the UD by phoning BA.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Last time it happened to me it was BKK to LHR and I suspect that it was because of overbooking, because on arrival at the airport it turned out that the flight was heavily overbooked, and I had been downgraded. Doubt that's the case with the OP though...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:04 am
SK

Update: check-in at the airport was completely routine, and nothing unusual was mentioned.
Oh, the seat that was supposedly assigned to me by a BA phone agent was not in my record.... The plane was less than half full though, so I still got a decent seat.

To answer the question about the itinerary, no, it was not particularly complicated. A standard one with three oneworld carriers, like dozens I've done before. BA had only one flight in it, and one pnr. Iberia had three pnrs, and AA one. I always make sure to get all the pnrs for my trips.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:15 am

Had it happen twice to me. Once was because the ticket hadn't been issued because apparently tickets brought from TAs are not automatically ticketed but rather held as reservations until BA get paid. Sorted this out on the phone to BA and have never used a TA since.

Second time was a flight which was overbooked. I was unable to check in at LHR either and was sent to the "flight services??" desk at T5. After a few phone calls discussing the possibility of up or down grading me (I was booked in WT+), they found me a space in my booked cabin and issued a BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.