Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cowell travels with baby, says BA crew are great but upset with tutting passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cowell travels with baby, says BA crew are great but upset with tutting passenger

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Not baby

But what the original post didn't make clear was the "sighing and tutting" was not aimed at the baby at all but at the older one!!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Lgwfan
It always helps to remember, that we were all one once.
I can't remember that so it probably did not happen to me. Loud TUT.

Originally Posted by JesW
…….when our 15 month old was getting pretty restless before passing out.
Good move to give him/her twelve bottles of Monopole; always works for me too.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ah, babies on aeroplanes....we can't seem to get away from this fun debate
I had been feeling an over-preponderance of entirely sensible, non-controversial posts recently and my attempt to 'stir-up-a-storm' over on the trains v. planes fatal accidents thread (aka. LCY equipment change) was having no success.

Originally Posted by wemyss
But what the original post didn't make clear was the "sighing and tutting" was not aimed at the baby at all but at the older one!!
Ahhhh- it all makes sense now!!

Last edited by crazy8534; Mar 20, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was never a baby on a plane, never mind in a premium cabin.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I had been feeling an over-preponderance of entirely sensible, non-controversial posts recently and my attempt to 'stir-up-a-storm' over on the trains v. planes fatal accidents thread (aka. LCY equipment change) was having no success.
I hear ya. It worked!

Now I'm left to wonder, would you rather sit next to a real fatty who spills into your seat, or a screaming baby?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: FT
i think i will bring along our "blue badge" for our daughter on a flight next month in F so as to head off the tutting pax...sort of like this mom does.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2015/02/...ns-autism.html
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I hear ya. It worked!

Now I'm left to wonder, would you rather sit next to a real fatty who spills into your seat, or a screaming baby?
screaming baby for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by ppp909
Yes, kids can be annoying, but on planes I've discovered that crying babies are incredibly easy to drown out using noise cancelling headphones or earplugs.
Noise cancelling headphones do not drown out the sound of crying babies. That is not how they work.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SteveF
Noise cancelling headphones do not drown out the sound of crying babies. That is not how they work.
Nor do earplugs.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
My experience of flying in premium cabins with the children has been fairly consistent across most airlines, except for BA.

Best experience was in LH F when the eldest was 5.5 months old. Middle aged German bloke takes one look at her and demands the purser moves him immediately (which she did as there were spare seats). American guy takes his chances by staying put. She slept for 95% of the 11 hour flight, and resulted in him changing his view of kids in premium cabins. Lovely man.

Worst experience was on SFO-LHR in F on BA. Guy in 2A sees our 2 children sitting behind him in 3A and 4A. They are 3 and 5 by this time. He threw a strop and demanded to be moved. F was full, so no dice. The kids ate their supper and went to sleep immediately. No fuss, no noise. 2A is still obnoxious next morning, despite having a full nights sleep and no disturbance from the children. My husband complained to the senior staff member in F but they were indifferent at best.

My children are well drilled in how to behave, especially on a flight. If they are unobtrusive, then there's no issue. I have an issue if they misbehave, it's not tolerated.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:53 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
And some adults still act as if they are

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
My experience of flying in premium cabins with the children has been fairly consistent across most airlines, except for BA.

Best experience was in LH F when the eldest was 5.5 months old. Middle aged German bloke takes one look at her and demands the purser moves him immediately (which she did as there were spare seats). American guy takes his chances by staying put. She slept for 95% of the 11 hour flight, and resulted in him changing his view of kids in premium cabins. Lovely man.

Worst experience was on SFO-LHR in F on BA. Guy in 2A sees our 2 children sitting behind him in 3A and 4A. They are 3 and 5 by this time. He threw a strop and demanded to be moved. F was full, so no dice. The kids ate their supper and went to sleep immediately. No fuss, no noise. 2A is still obnoxious next morning, despite having a full nights sleep and no disturbance from the children. My husband complained to the senior staff member in F but they were indifferent at best.

My children are well drilled in how to behave, especially on a flight. If they are unobtrusive, then there's no issue. I have an issue if they misbehave, it's not tolerated.
Which is the way it should be but unfortunately I've been witness in F cabins to parents who seriously couldn't care less what their spoiled 5 year old brats did. Babies are a totally different thing. I for one screamed for most of the 17 hour flight emigrating to Canada on a DC-7 according to my mother
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by smala01
I appreciate i might be in the minority.

I’m still in the category that feels long haul premium travel is "special" as i don’t get the opportunity to do it often, and when i do i pay for it out of my own wallet. It is not a default choice by any means, it is a considered purchase and I look forward to the trip and appreciate the comfort.

The fact remains, that if I cannot sleep because of any reason (wailing infant, broken seat, broken heating etc.) then my experience is degraded to WT+ and I feel very annoyed that I have wasted £1.5k. The airline has compensated me for a broken seat and heating – so why should I not feel very annoyed at screaming kids?

This happened to me very recently (which is why it’s still raw!) – It wasn’t the odd cry which is irritating but tolerable – the infant was wailing for hours on end.

In my opinion infants in a premium cabin is highly likely not to equate to premium experience for everyone else.

^
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over the years I have had far more annoyance from adults talking and getting drunk. On board bars are a very, very, very stupid idea.In fact I don't recall a single badly behaved child in over 1500 sectors in a premium cabin.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Over the years I have had far more annoyance from adults talking and getting drunk. On board bars are a very, very, very stupid idea.In fact I don't recall a single badly behaved child in over 1500 sectors in a premium cabin.
I don't mind kids. If you can afford it fly j or f with them why not? My most annoying experience was on ek parents in front two kids maybe 5/6 behind. Parents had earphones on as did kids but kids were shouting/ making a lot of noise, basically ignored by parents but irritated a lot of people - it wasn't the kids fault it was the parents for not looking after them properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.