Search

Help booking In-Laws flights please?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, VS Red, AMEX Plat Plus
Help booking In-Laws flights please?

hey everyone

I have never used the ITA matrix and am pretty useless when it comes to digging out good deals. Just wondering if you guys could help find me the cheapest price for the itinerary below, both in Y and W please?

14/06 LON-LAS
19/06 LAS-YVR
23/06 YVR-LON

Also be interested in a reasonable J class ticket also.

thanks so much in advance

Deno
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Price it as two tickets

Open Jaw London-Vegas/Vancouver-London (around £900!!!)

Then the "hop" between the two.

However if you can convince them to start in Dublin, they can get J class for £1100 each across the Atlantic, then the internal flight for £100 in Y or £230 in J.

If you pick the right flights, starting in Dublin isn't entirely crazy as you clear US immigration before boarding the flight, removing a degree of hassle & stress at the other end.

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Mar 6, 2015 at 4:00 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you only look ex-LON with BA and book all on one ticket then:
Y: £1,116
W: £2,985
J: £4,218

If you only look ex-LON with BA and book open jaw (you would need to book a separate LAS-YVR ticket):
Y: £882
W: £2,216
J: £3,129

ex-DUB open jaw (you would need to book a separate LAS-YVR ticket AND LON-DUB ticket):
Y: €619
J: €2,200
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note it seems BA are significantly more expensive that other carriers ex Dublin on this itinerary.

Kayak.co.uk was showing flights on lastminute.com with various Star Alliance options.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Price it as two tickets

Open Jaw London-Vegas/Vancouver-London (around £900!!!)

Then the "hop" between the two.

However if you can convince them to start in Dublin, they can get J class for £1100 each across the Atlantic, then the internal flight for £100 in Y or £230 in J.

If you pick the right flights, starting in Dublin isn't entirely crazy as you clear US immigration before boarding the flight, removing a degree of hassle & stress at the other end.
They live in Northern Ireland so could easily start from DUB. They would pay £1100 each in J as well. Is this looking on the ITA? They don't have to fly BA, but would fly another carrier in J if cheaper. From DUB would it be DUB-LHR-LAS return? and then buy a separate LAS-YVR return?

cheers guys
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:41 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deno86
They live in Northern Ireland so could easily start from DUB. They would pay £1100 each in J as well. Is this looking on the ITA? They don't have to fly BA, but would fly another carrier in J if cheaper. From DUB would it be DUB-LHR-LAS return? and then buy a separate LAS-YVR return?

cheers guys
You could either book DUB-LAS return and book a separate LAS-YVR return, or DUB-LAS//YVR-DUB open jaw and book a one way LAS-YVR.

On ITA Matrix either use the return option entering DUB-LAS, or multi-city with one flight DUB-LAS and second flight YVR-DUB.

AA and US fly from DUB so no reason to go through LHR.

Also the ~€1,200 fare is not available for your dates of travel, lowest I can find is €1,950 on *A or €2,200 on oneworld.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having checked on the lastminute.com site directly, I can now see that the £1100 fare is outbound on Air Canada Rouge in Premium Economy to Toronto then on to LAS in J class, returning YVR-LHR on Air Canada in J then back to Dublin on BA in Y; Returning Lufthansa in J all the way is another option.

Note if they fly on the Monday, the fare drops to £950

Just playing around and I see if they fly back from Seattle instead of Vancouver there's a fare for £1250, again via lastminute.com. Economy on the short hauls, business class on the long hauls.
EI Dublin-Manchester
VS Manchester-Las Vegas

DL Seattle-London
EI London-Dublin

Unfortunately none of these options allow you to take advantage of the pre-clearance in Dublin for US immigration, but given it's a daytime flight out that Air Canada Rouge fare doesn't look bad especially if they can get it down to £950...

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Mar 6, 2015 at 6:09 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info guys. when I try and use lastminute.com multi stop, I keep getting invalid date format when I search. Any ideas as to why?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the info guys. when I try and use lastminute.com multi stop, I keep getting invalid date format when I search. Any ideas as to why?
With Chrome I get a drop down list for selecting the date, so maybe try a different browser?

Otherwise put the dates into kayak.co.uk and that will punch them across to lastminute for you.

You could also try another online booking site - expedia, travelocity etc..
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for hassling all you knowledgable FF's, but the cheapest Y fare I can find for the dates they want is £606

BFS-EWR-LAS/YVR-EWR-BFS

Can anyone find anything better?

cheers

Last edited by deno86; Mar 6, 2015 at 2:52 pm Reason: Wrong airport
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
GBP 600 is about the going rate for a trans-Atlantic economy return flight these days.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for hassling all you knowledgable FF's, but the cheapest Y fare I can find for the dates they want is £606

BFS-EWR-LAS/YVR-EWR-BFS

Can anyone find anything better?

cheers
Yes, £428 on US and £518 on BA ex-DUB.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Yes, £428 on US and £518 on BA ex-DUB.
where are you getting that price from nux?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

where are you getting that price from nux?
ITA Matrix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.