Community
Wiki Posts
Search

64K or Space Available Upgrade to F ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Lightbulb 64K or Space Available Upgrade to F ?

Hi all,

just having this dilemma: shall I keep my actual seat on the UD (64K) or shall I risk row 5 in F on a 744 if my space available upgrade goes through?

It's a MIA/LHR, night flight leaving MIA at 8.40pm.

Upon arrival I also have a 3 hours stop at LHR before continuing my journey to DUB so if travelling F I could access the CCR.

What do you think?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Hi all,

just having this dilemma: shall I keep my actual seat on the UD (64K) or shall I risk row 5 in F on a 744 if my space available upgrade goes through?

It's a MIA/LHR, night flight leaving MIA at 8.40pm.

Upon arrival I also have a 3 hours stop at LHR before continuing my journey to DUB so if travelling F I could access the CCR.

What do you think?
I'd stick with 64K and the GF at LHR (assuming you have Gold status as per the profile).

TUF
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
I'd stick with 64K and the GF at LHR (assuming you have Gold status as per the profile).

TUF
Why would you do so?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I'd take F. Sheets, PJ's, and an LPGS nightcap followed by a little CCR time.

I would take 64K if I liked sleeping in my clothes and a bacon roll for breakfast.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Guess it also depends on where you might be able to use the upgrade next instead.

If you have a chance to enjoy it on a day flight in F, I'd save it for that as CW overnight does the trick for me.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
I'd take the upgrade to F but only if you're not stuck in the middle E/F seats.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Excuse my ignorance but what is a space available upgrade and how did you earn it?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I was upgraded from 64K to 4E on a flight to GRU.

It is not a seat I would choose if I had a F ticket, as I found it open and less private than 64K, but the F cabin is generally very quiet on night flights. I enjoyed the food and the service so was very happy with the upgrade especially as I was upgraded before OLCI opened and I was able to enjoy the CCR too.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Excuse my ignorance but what is a space available upgrade and how did you earn it?
In my case, it was service recovery for a bad inflight experience. I said that I wanted to use it on a particular flight (LHR to JNB) and was lucky that there was a seat available for the upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Space Available Upgrades (often a customer service recovery offer) is best deployed on a 777 service to avoid the Flying Dormitory. If you have one in the near-ish future I would use it for that, but if the 747 is the only possibility on the horizon you may as well use that.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stick with 64K. The risk of getting stuck with 4EF, 5EF, 3AK or 4 AK (in descending order of disappointment) is to high. I'd sleep as well on the UD as any of those. 5AK are, thanks to the seat angle and slightly wider angle, not too bad.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Why would you do so?
I find that I sleep fine in the UD, and that's presumably most of what you'll be doing on the overnight journey, so I don't see a reason to upgrade for that. Seating-wise, 64K is arguably one of the best seats in CW, while an upgrade my land you in one of the least desirable spots in F. As far as the CCR goes, I find the LHR one to be over-rated (JFK is another story), and would be happy with GF. Lastly, as others have said, save the upgrade for another time, perhaps a day flight or a special occasion.

TUF
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by chris1979
Guess it also depends on where you might be able to use the upgrade next instead.

If you have a chance to enjoy it on a day flight in F, I'd save it for that as CW overnight does the trick for me.
That would be my preference if I had a choice on such a servce recovery.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Space Available Upgrades (often a customer service recovery offer) is best deployed on a 777 service to avoid the Flying Dormitory. If you have one in the near-ish future I would use it for that, but if the 747 is the only possibility on the horizon you may as well use that.
OK but I must confess I do actually like the Dormitory on the 777-300 but I am probably in a small minority on that. I like the large open space feeling style of that cabin compared to smaller ones such as on the 747 LD.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Question for you guys: travelling to LAS at the end of the month - have the option of the middle 4EF OF as CW or the UD 64 pair. What do you think?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by dcbfencing
Question for you guys: travelling to LAS at the end of the month - have the option of the middle 4EF OF as CW or the UD 64 pair. What do you think?
Depends if you like a window or not as well?

Personally, although it is more open I'd take the middle OF seats as I think they are far more comfortable and they also have the independent leg rest which I really like.

Hopefully, there MAY be some movement in the OF cabin which I suspect may happen given your flight is still several weeks away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.