Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help, please! [adding a car rental to flight booking]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!

Hi, a friend in Sweden is telling me that she can book an Intermediate rental car (Chev. Cruze or Ford Focus) to pick up and return to MCO through BAEC(ticket and car deal) for $350 or so total cost for 2 weeks including all extra insurance, an extra driver, etc. She says this is through BA and Avis. I cannot find anything near to that price. The best I can find anywhere (and I get some great discounts through work,etc.) is about $1600 including extra driver and all the insurance as she doesn't get cover through a credit card or anything and wants to drive. Even without her driving so no insurance etc. (my insurance covers me completely here in the US), the best price I can find is about $650 for the same car. What do you all think? Is this price correct when booking through BA for car and flight? Is there really that much of a discount when booking a car with an F ticket? I've never seen it when I am flying BA but I don't often need a car when I'm flying with BA.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Probably completely correct. I added an SUV onto return CW flights to MCO, 2 weeks, full CDW, extra driver etc. for about £200 extra as part of a BA holiday.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Wow! That is a great deal! Thanks for letting me know and we'll book through her ticket, I think! AS doesn't get me anything like that price!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Oft-quoted here and very true that BA holidays prices for car rental can make the package quite astoundingly good value. Even adding a car rental on to already booked flights is usually much cheaper than going to Avis direct. Something BA doesn't get much credit for but has been very useful to me and others. Hope your friend has a great stay!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I just didn't want to get to the Avis counter and discover there was some error and the bill was 4 or 5 times the BA price as those are the figures I'm getting. I appreciate the input!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom
Thanks! I just didn't want to get to the Avis counter and discover there was some error and the bill was 4 or 5 times the BA price as those are the figures I'm getting. I appreciate the input!
Ha ha! I get less hassle at the Avis counter with a BA booking than if I book on their website. In fact, they have never tried to sell me anything extra on a BA booking and all I ever paid for was the child seats I asked them to provide!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

That's really good to know! My mistrust of car rental companies means I really question quotes that are "too good to be true" and it's good to know BA and Avis are a good deal! Thanks for taking the time to reply. KM
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:08 pm

I can only add to this, saying that without fail all my Avis bookings through BA have been extremely good value, hassle free and dealt with no problems whatsoever. The car was always what I wanted (or actually better), all the paper work was ready, thanks to Avis Preferred and no upsales or else were even attempted.
It's a great relationship and long may I book it.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Not always needing a rental car at my destination, I recently realised how much to save to book flight and hotel together, sort of same deal. Only caveat is not having the ability to reduce price with Avios on BA Holidays

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.