Wiki Posts
Search

Using a 2-4-1 but booking legs separately

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Using a 2-4-1 but booking legs separately

Hello,
Can anyone please talk me through how to use my AMEX 2-4-1 voucher and purchasing the outbound leg when/if it becomes available then adding the inbound at a much later date?
I'm looking at going to LAX next Spring but won't need the return until over a month later. Rather than wait and hope the LAX seats are still there I think there is a way I can book the outbound and add the inbound when/if they become available over a month later?
Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:41 am

Simple. Book the outbound using the 2-4-1 as soon as it becomes available. Then you need to phone to add the return when that becomes available.

Last edited by SteveF; Feb 23, 2015 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveF
Simple. Book the outbound using the 2-4-1 as soon as it becomes available. Then you need to phone to the add the return when that becomes available.
Wow that really is simple! Thank you.
I wasn't sure if the online system allowed one ways and I do not have the voucher yet to try a dummy booking.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NEMMIE
I wasn't sure if the online system allowed one ways and I do not have the voucher yet to try a dummy booking.
One ways are allowed. There have been times where I have used it as a one-way only. Assuming this is an UK BA Amex 2-4-1, the only requirement is that the outbound must be from the UK.

So you can use it to fly out to New York and take the Queen Mary 2 back to the UK. However, you cannot use it fly from New York to London after taking the the Queen Mary 2 to New York first; you would have to use two lots of Avios for that.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
One ways are allowed. There have been times where I have used it as a one-way only. Assuming this is an UK BA Amex 2-4-1, the only requirement is that the outbound must be from the UK.
Excellent news, thank you!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Forgot to mention, if you are struggling to get a return flight from LAX, try Las Vegas and San Diego as alternatives airports to return from. Las Vegas is about a 4 hour drive from LAX and San Diego about about a 2 hour drive. PHX is about a 6 hour drive so is pushing it a bit.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Forgot to mention, if you are struggling to get a return flight from LAX, try Las Vegas and San Diego as alternatives airports to return from. Las Vegas is about a 4 hour drive from LAX and San Diego about about a 2 hour drive. PHX is about a 6 hour drive so is pushing it a bit.
I'll def keep that in mind. Thanks again for your help.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Another question in relation to this and also the executive club changes coming on the 28th of April.
If I book the outbound before the changes then add the return after the changes I am presuming the outbound will be at current redemption prices (50K zone 6) and the inbound at the new redemption prices (62500 if off peak zone 6)
In this instance would it be better for me to book a dummy return flights before the changes come in and then change the dummy flight to the actual date once released which will definitely be after 28th April. I know this will incur a change fee but I think £70 is better than an extra 12500.
I hope that makes sense and someone can help with the answer.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Apologies for hijacking the thread slightly but I am in a similar situation. When adding the return leg of a 2-4-1 by phone, booking for a family of 4, I want to phone as soon as possible after the seats are available. The website states the call centre hours as 07:30-20:00, but I am sure I have phoned earlier than 7:30am before?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Ollie264
Apologies for hijacking the thread slightly but I am in a similar situation. When adding the return leg of a 2-4-1 by phone, booking for a family of 4, I want to phone as soon as possible after the seats are available. The website states the call centre hours as 07:30-20:00, but I am sure I have phoned earlier than 7:30am before?
You can call any office that is open:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by SteveF
Simple. Book the outbound using the 2-4-1 as soon as it becomes available. Then you need to phone to add the return when that becomes available.

Are you sure? The T&Cs say:-

21.All Companion Voucher bookings must originate and return to the UK.
If you can't book the return then you can't meet this condition.

When I wanted a booking on a popular route (BGI) I made the return for the same day as the outbound. I then waited until the return I wanted opened up and made the change. It cost the change fee but it was worth it to get the flights I wanted.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Gaza
Are you sure? The T&Cs say:-

If you can't book the return then you can't meet this condition.

When I wanted a booking on a popular route (BGI) I made the return for the same day as the outbound. I then waited until the return I wanted opened up and made the change. It cost the change fee but it was worth it to get the flights I wanted.
Yes. BAEC allows AMEX 241 bookings to be made oneway.

BAEC also allows a return to be added later when it opens up. If someone doesn't want to be charged when adding the return booking later then the agent can make a note to allow the addition without charge.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...urn-later.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23539316-post20.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-booking.html
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:18 am
Original Poster

So I spoke with BAEC and the very helpful lady said that even if I just book the one way before the changes, when I come to add the return it will be at the old redemption prices. She didn't however sound very sure. I went through the whole scenario again and she asked me why I would be booking a 2-4-1 as seperate legs. After I had explained my reasonings she again assured me that when I want to add the return leg it would be at the redemption rates before the changes. I hope this is correct but guess I have to trust the info given.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Hilton Marriott Hyatt
Booked Phoenix a couple of years ago when West Coast J redemptions were very scarce and, as it is a 6 hour plus drive, I decided to add a few days. The road trip from Phoenix through Sedona, Flagstaff and Las Vegas to Los Angeles turned out to be the best part of the trip!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
One thing to keep in mind is Southern California traffic can be horrendous. Time of day and direction of travel can greatly affect your travel time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.