Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a 2-4-1 but booking legs separately

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by NEMMIE
So I spoke with BAEC and the very helpful lady said that even if I just book the one way before the changes, when I come to add the return it will be at the old redemption prices. She didn't however sound very sure. I went through the whole scenario again and she asked me why I would be booking a 2-4-1 as seperate legs. After I had explained my reasonings she again assured me that when I want to add the return leg it would be at the redemption rates before the changes. I hope this is correct but guess I have to trust the info given.
I find it a little hard to believe what she has said to be honest: I'm speculating but I can't imagine their systems looking back at the old rates when you try and add the return post-April. I would think it more likely that either the whole trip is new-priced or at least the return leg.

However if it did work, presumably it would be possible to "stretch-out" the current pricing even further:
i) Before the changes book an April 2016 outbound
ii) Months later add a March 2017 inbound
iii) Change the outbound date to 2017.

This relies on (iii) being allowed and not triggering a re-price, but I think we've seen in the past that the website does not reprice the avios element on legal online changes (subject to the voucher's expiry date being 2017).
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I thought it was a bit fishy.
So my best option then would be to book a "placer" flight home and change the date when the one I need becomes available paying the change fee.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:35 am

Can you do this? As your return is a month later will you not be outwith the fly within a year rule?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:34 am

If I book a 2 for 1 on line with first out and club back will i be able to change the club booking back to a later date online or will I need to phone the BA Exec Club?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Gold
Sorry for the hijack - tried to find answer in other threads but couldn't find exact answer.

Planning open jaw: LHR-WAS out & GIG-LHR return. 4 passengers; 2 x 241s .

I like to be prepared so called BAEC about the booking process. Agent said:

1. If I book online LHR-WAS at T-355 days, when I call to add inbound I will be charged 4 x £15 booking fee plus 4 x £35 change fee = £200

2. If I call BAEC to book outbound, I will be charged 4 x £15 booking fee = £60, but additional fees will be waived when I call up to add return leg as it was out of range at date of booking outbound.

Is this right?

As seats are (mostly) being released in the middle of the night, I know it will be best to call any BA outpost - but will they be aware of the 241 voucher and fees situation?

Last edited by JonTY1; Mar 4, 2015 at 9:24 am Reason: poor spelling
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by tillyholly
Can you do this? As your return is a month later will you not be outwith the fly within a year rule?
What does this mean please and how does it affect changing the date of a 2 for 1 booking?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Flyerbunny
What does this mean please and how does it affect changing the date of a 2 for 1 booking?
In theory the trip must be completed within a year of the booking date. If you book the outbound today for 23-Feb-16 and then in 3 weeks book the inbound for 16-Mar-16, clearly the inbound is more than a year from today.

I don't know how this gets worked out but it's been done by enough of us to confirm it's no problem. I assume the one year window resets when you add the inbound. I'm also sure in the past people have booked dummy returns (i.e. have a one-day trip) then moved the inbound back online with no issue, so it doesn't rely on any clever workaround by an agent.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
In theory the trip must be completed within a year of the booking date. If you book the outbound today for 23-Feb-16 and then in 3 weeks book the inbound for 16-Mar-16, clearly the inbound is more than a year from today.

I don't know how this gets worked out but it's been done by enough of us to confirm it's no problem. I assume the one year window resets when you add the inbound. I'm also sure in the past people have booked dummy returns (i.e. have a one-day trip) then moved the inbound back online with no issue, so it doesn't rely on any clever workaround by an agent.
Thank you.
I was thinking of booking a dummy return day trip for example today outbound 23 Feb 16 and then in 6 weeks moving the inbound back to April 6 2016 online hopefully.
From what you have said this sounds like it is Ok.
Anyone actually done this successfully please?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:04 am

Thank you.
I was thinking of booking a dummy return day trip for example today outbound 23 Feb 16 and then in 6 weeks moving the inbound back to April 6 2016 online hopefully.
From what you have said this sounds like it is Ok.
Anyone actually done this successfully please?
You will have top pay the 2x £35 change fee that way. If you just book the outbound single for now, then call up to add the inbound you may get the fees waived all together, or just pay the £15 offline fee.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:05 am
Original Poster

My issue is I want an open jaw into LAX and out of MCO so I thought it better to call and add the return a few days later before the changes. Then call again at a later date to book the flight I actually need.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:20 pm

I tried to change a 2 day trip and ended up cancelling the whole trip as I couldn't change the return when the correct inbound opened up. I must have got an unhelpful agent. I have never tried again and now book one way and add the return
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, BAEC
As a follow-up to this thread, I have a similar question but with a variation. I have successfully booked my outbound leg using a 2-4-1 (BA Chase Visa in this case). I am set to book the return flights next week using the call center. However, my return flight is over two days. In waiting for the second leg of the return flight to open up I am afraid the first leg will lose availability. Can one (hypothetically) book the initial leg on one day (JNB-LHR) and then book the second leg (LHR-JFK) the next. Availability from LHR onwards is not an issue. There is usually plenty of availability. BUT, the JNB-LHR leg goes pretty quickly. Is this doable (recognizing there will be a fee for each phone reservation).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:35 pm

Which call centre is the best one to ring from the UK when seats are released at midnight, please?
Singapore and Hong Kong have been mentioned but these do not appear to be open at midnight our time (tried tonight).
Can anyone report any good experiences with any call centres when trying to add the inbound to an existing outbound 2 for 1 booking at midnight UK time please?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pauldb

I don't know how this gets worked out but it's been done by enough of us to confirm it's no problem. I assume the one year window resets when you add the inbound.
I suspect that it's because the ticket is reissued when you add the inbound. At that point, the inbound is less than one year from the date of issue of the new ticket.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Which call centre is the best one to ring from the UK when seats are released at midnight, please?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html

There are lots of reports of people successfully doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.