Wiki Posts
Search

Connection Time in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Connection Time in Madrid

Apologies for the newbie question in advance. I'm doing a TP run funded by business trip. I need to start my journey in Madrid. MAD-LHR at 10:55. If I catch a reward flight as a positioning flight that gets me in to Madrid at 09:40 will I be able to make 10:55 flight if I check-in beforehand and only take carry on. I've been told I need minimum of 2 hours between flights. Is this true? LHR-MAD is BA456. Outbound is BA457.

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:22 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Are both flights on BA metal? If so you should be okay. BA use T4S. If its on IB they use T4. MAD is usually a quick airport to transit and I have often transferred within 30 mins if on the same metal. On complication is if you have to transfer for T4S to T4 which is by underground train
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
BA456 and 457 are likely to be back to back on the same aircraft. You should be fine if you are HBO, you won't need to change terminals.

FYI - not all BA services use T4S, the LCY services often use T4.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk adamski1611,

Originally Posted by adamski1611
Apologies for the newbie question in advance. I'm doing a TP run funded by business trip. I need to start my journey in Madrid. MAD-LHR at 10:55. If I catch a reward flight as a positioning flight that gets me in to Madrid at 09:40 will I be able to make 10:55 flight if I check-in beforehand and only take carry on. I've been told I need minimum of 2 hours between flights. Is this true? LHR-MAD is BA456. Outbound is BA457.
As Oaxaca points out, this is not only a back to back, but one with a long turnaround time by BA's standards. You should be able to have a good 30 minutes in the lounge, which you will find via an awkward turn in the duty free emporium. It's one of the easier back to back locations, no passports or security normally. There is sometimes a bus offload (which can lead to a security check), but even then you should be fine. If it's a getty departure then don't rush to get on board. Iberia, who provide the gate services, love to pen people on the airbridge, so I'd take a seat until towards the end of boarding, so 20 minutes or so before advertised departure.

I know it's your second post, but you seem to have not got the ambassadorial greeting on your first endeavour. So welcome to Flyertalk adamski1611, welcome to the BA Forum, and please keep on posting!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Thanks for the responses. Really helpful and put me at ease. Yep both flights are on BA metal.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
FYI - not all BA services use T4S, the LCY services often use T4.
Any update on whether the MAD-LCY flights are currently using T4, T4S or a mix of both?

I'm considering a 50min connection (HBO, separate PNRs) arriving from JFK. It's technically below MCT for IB-BA but within MCT for IB-IB at T4S.

So if the LCY flights use T4S I think I'll give it a go. If they use T4, perhaps best not?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
T4. Separate PNR - I wouldn't, regardless of terminal, with 50 minutes. It can easily take 20 minutes to get to T4, then you still have to clear security, go upstairs and walk the best part of a mile (ok, maybe not, but certainly a good 10 minutes!) to H1-H8, passing passport control as well.

Assuming this is the early morning MAD-LCY, why not book the next MAD-LHR (also T4, and IB operated)?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
T4. Separate PNR - I wouldn't, regardless of terminal, with 50 minutes. It can easily take 20 minutes to get to T4, then you still have to clear security, go upstairs and walk the best part of a mile (ok, maybe not, but certainly a good 10 minutes!) to H1-H8, passing passport control as well.

Assuming this is the early morning MAD-LCY, why not book the next MAD-LHR (also T4, and IB operated)?
It's the difference between being on time or rather late for work.

Thanks for the advice. Shame it's T4 as would've been ideal from T4S. I'll have a rethink...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Figured as much

The first flight from 4S is the BA457 at 11:05 - with 2-3 IB flights from T4 before that.

Look carefully, though, as if one of the morning IB flights are operated by 330/340, they will leave from T4S. I haven't seen any of these recently, but I know it has happened in the past.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Also I'm quite a fan of the MAD T4S lounge, nice big windows and a good selection of treats ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.