Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exec Gold Card and Lounge access with children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exec Gold Card and Lounge access with children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Danelca

Welcome to Flyertalk Danelca, and welcome in particular to the British Airways forum. Thank you for joining us, and I hope that you will continue to play an active part in this forum. Welcome on board.

The reason why the question may seem to lack a definitive answer is that experiences in this area vary. According to the rule book, you are allowed 1 guest (contrary to BHD's more benevolent custom and practice). You would almost certainly get away with a toddler below 2 years old but if I have understood correctly it will be just the one guest in your case, not 2. If it is school holiday time you can't really expect much discretion at LHR or LGW. Indeed you are asking for a benefit reserved for a higher tier than Gold.

Now if it is quiet then they may allow it, there is some discretion, but in the case of LGW and LHR I would not be hopeful. The other alternative is to pay for admission - by buying a ticket with lounge access (though it would be to Galleries Club rather than First).
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Always amazes me how many families are in the FLounge. Must mean two frequently-flying parents. Sometimes see families of more than 4. Maybe they are escaping from the CCR.
Or just bog standard GGLs, or trips with First on non BA metal.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can a GGL take 2 guests into the F lounge? For some reason I thought that only applied to GC. That is quite a good benefit .
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Can a GGL take 2 guests into the F lounge? For some reason I thought that only applied to GC. That is quite a good benefit .
Yes. GGL can guest two in to the GF.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes, that is the case, Flounge is allowed for this. It can be GC instead/as well.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
It is a question of space that is at a premium. Those baby buggies will take up more space than just a roll-on bag. Most kids will wish to spread or have room to move around.
I often find it's the single travellers taking up a pod of 4 or 6 seats in my experience. Sat on 1 seat, jacket/coat on seats opposite (to reserve them), bag(s) strewn across neighbouring seats.

Whenever I've travelled with my children in lounges, the 4 of us take up 4 seats.

Not sure it's families clogging up lounges at all.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by oyster
I often find it's the single travellers taking up a pod of 4 or 6 seats in my experience. Sat on 1 seat, jacket/coat on seats opposite (to reserve them), bag(s) strewn across neighbouring seats.

Whenever I've travelled with my children in lounges, the 4 of us take up 4 seats.

Not sure it's families clogging up lounges at all.
Yep, families tend to want to sit together, whereas business travelers erect walls of bags and coats to prevent others from sitting down.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:58 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
I have no issues with families going into the lounge, however, for wee ones' it isn't the best place to play / let off some energy before a long flight. Doesn't T5 have a separate play area for children near A Gates? Might be more fun for them?

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 5, 2015 at 1:41 pm Reason: Remove reply to deleted post
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Brown
Originally Posted by Magic01273
A contensious issue for sure - however I for one am glad that these restrictions exists. Kids can be noisy and lounges are often already over-crowded. And I've seen too many examples of bad parenting to feel bad about this.
The big problem with these discussions is that the emotive issue of children is used, as above. It should not matter if it is a child or adult, BA should clamp down on some of their agents allowing ANY extra guests, it would stop any of these discussions as people would know where they stand, prob wouldn't stop the DYKWIA's but we could hope. If you book the correct ticket you can visit the lounges, I appreciate that you can not go into the FL or CCR on CE, but you make the choice to book your family in economy, you know the rules......

To be fair to the OP, he has said he is flying with his children in business, so they can go in the GC, he is at least not expecting the family into the lounges on an eco ticket.

FP
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by rxfleming
I have no issues with families going into the lounge, however, for wee ones' it isn't the best place to play / let off some energy before a long flight. Doesn't T5 have a separate play area for children near A Gates? Might be more fun for them?

Why is it that whenever I read a reply suggesting something like this, I form the strong impression that the poster has no children, yet likes to suggest what they might like best?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Oi...! That's me you're talking about...! Bog standard??

Of course the irony of GGL is that my whole family now has shiny cards, so from being able to get 2 into the lounge when I was a GCH, we could in theory now get 5 into GF or 9 into GC when we are all travelling together. For me, having no concerns about lounge access as a family is a BIG benefit of GGL. As long as the kids can sit down with their iPads / iTouches, (with the sound off!), they are happy.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by rxfleming
There's also a Kids' Zone in the Flounge near the buffet area.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
There's also a Kids' Zone in the Flounge near the buffet area.
Given the choice between a windowless room, and the rest of the lounge, which would you prefer?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC
I think we can all agree that by and large (not all but most) children in the Flounges behave very well and if they are entitled to be there, then there is nothing further to say.

But I’ve never yet seen a single traveller permanently take up more space than a family of four. When asked, bags and coats etc. are easily moved and additional seating becomes available for use.

I’ve occasionally asked if I may use a seat next to someone as the lounges are undoubtedly busy (Friday afternoons anyone?) and my fellow travellers have all been charming about making some space for me to use. Granted the seat may be closer to someone else than you would honestly like but that’s the way it is – reduce the number of Golds or build a bigger lounge so everyone can have 4 seats on their own. It’s not going to happen so we all need to make accommodations.

I wouldn’t dream of asking a family of 4 to move from a bank of six seats as they usually have more “stuff” to carry with them and the children have more room to wriggle.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Greg66
Why is it that whenever I read a reply suggesting something like this, I form the strong impression that the poster has no children, yet likes to suggest what they might like best?
Regardless of whether he has children, I do think rxfleming has a very good point; the F lounge isn't necessarily a fun place for children. However, it is worth noting that there is a small play / tv room for children near the buffet area.

As for getting more than one guest in, I think it would be quite ridiculous to turn the Op away if it's just him, his 8 year old and his 2 year old, especially if the lounge isn't too busy at the time. I'm very much of the opinion that children should not be considered as 'guests' as the parents can't just abandon them outside the lounge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.