Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-JFK POUG from WT to WTP ... would you?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
JFK-LHR POUG from WT to WTP ... would you?

Currently being offered a £169 (was £189) POUG for myself and my girlfriend on the return leg of an upcoming trip to JFK on BA174, which at the moment seems to be a 772 (with the odd 77W, I can dream!).

I'm trying to justify the cost to myself (and my girlfriend!), but I'm having trouble. The only difference is on-board, so no fast-track security or boarding. The flight is an overnight (landing at 6:20am) so we're doubting if what essentially amounts to £24 per hour each is worth it for quality of sleep.

So, my question is: would you pay the POUG fee, and if so, why?

Update

So ... my girlfriend has agreed to upgrade on the outbound BA117 flight instead, which is a 744 and doesn't have the "new WT+" cabin. Is it still worth it?

Last edited by CraigWatson; Feb 3, 2015 at 4:02 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:32 am

For a night flight yes, a day flight no.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
The flight is a sleeper service so we'd not really see/feel the benefits either, apart from having a 2-4-2 layout and more space.
Sleeper Service is only in CW.

As for the layout and the extra space, it sounds like the question about what have the Romans ever done for us. If you discount all of WT+'s benefits, of course there's no point in upgrading to it. The 2-4-2 layout and the extra space is mostly what WT+ is all about - that's what people are paying for.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would say yes, as if you get the two seats at the side, you have a fighting chance of getting some decent rest....

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Yes. But - qualifier - I fly BA only for work, haven't sat in Y for years, since had so many upgrades (UuA, POUG and Op-Ups) that I almost dread traveling in WTP. If I were spending my own money...?

All about context. Do what feels right from your own value perspective.

Programs: BA GGL
I took a WT to WTP POUG for £189 from LHR to HKG, albeit it a longer flight with the guaranteed newer WTP cabin on the A380. I then got upgraded to CW at the gate. I still consider it the best £189 I have ever spent.

You will need to be lucky of course, and I was travelling solo which increased my chances, but if you remain in WT you stand almost zero chance. Do you need the extra 55 TPs?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
On a 747, no, unless you need the TPs
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Agree with Globaliser. The space itself is the primary benefit. The space would be worth it to me, but only you can decide if that is worth £189 for you

Other things to consider, which may or may not be relevant to you:
> Some extra avios and TPs (still at current rates)
> Better food, if you eat. There should be choices from the CW menu for main. As mentioned above, Sleeper Service is only for CW, and BA174 is not a sleeper service flight anyway.
> Larger checked baggage allowance (2 bags), assuming your WT ticket is not fully flex Y class. Will you be doing a lot of shopping?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
All great points, thanks!

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
The space would be worth it to me
Why? I'm also trying to build an arsenal of reasons for my girlfriend, who is the overriding skeptic, if it was only me travelling, £189 is good value!

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Larger checked baggage allowance (2 bags), assuming your WT ticket is not fully flex Y class. Will you be doing a lot of shopping?
Good question, but the upgrade is one-way only, so any bags we return with will have to be taken over, unless we upgrade both ways (or buy the bag in NYC), and the POUG offer is currently only available on the return leg.

Originally Posted by snuffi
Do you need the extra 55 TPs?
Not particularly - main focus is on the experience/product (though I do selfishly have one eye on Bronze (yay?) as I may be making a trip to PDX later in the year).

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
On a 747, no, unless you need the TPs
BA174 is a 772

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Sleeper Service is only in CW.
My mistake, in my head, sleeper = overnight. I stand corrected

Last edited by CraigWatson; Jan 30, 2015 at 11:38 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Currently being offered a £189 POUG for myself and my girlfriend on the return leg of an upcoming trip to JFK on BA174, which at the moment seems to be a 772 (with the odd 77W, I can dream!).

I'm trying to justify the cost to myself (and my girlfriend!), but I'm having trouble. The only difference is on-board, so no fast-track security or boarding. The flight is an overnight (landing at 6:20am) so we'd not really see/feel the benefits either, apart from having a 2-4-2 layout and more space.

So, my question is: would you pay the POUG fee, and if so, why?
For an overnight flight, yes, always. Better seat, more space. Outside chance of an op-up to CW.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
If you upgrade 1 sector you get the higher allowance on all sectors.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Why? I'm also trying to build an arsenal of reasons for my girlfriend, who is the overriding skeptic, if it was only me travelling, £189 is good value!
It's a personal thing, but for me the greater legroom, more recline and quieter cabin (less pax) are worth it, to arrive feeling less squashed. Also something to be said for 2-4-2 if you are travelling as a couple. If you're lucky, you'd get a refitted 772 with the new WTP. Don't actually know if the seat is more comfy than the old one, but there is a new IFE.

Good question, but the upgrade is one-way only, so any bags we return with will have to be taken over, unless we upgrade both ways (or buy the bag in NYC), and the POUG offer is currently only available on the return leg.
BLHD mentions that you get the upgraded allowance on all sectors (which I didn't know as I'm practically evangelical about flying HBO), but you can also do the "one suitcase inside the other" thing on the outbound as long as you are within the weight/size allowance.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Jan 30, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
LHR-JFK POUG from WT to WTP ... would you?

No. You still won't get a flat bed or a decent sleep.

I find it bizarre that people upgrade from WTP to CW for £400-500 or so.

If I walked into a hotel and they said they could give me a tiny little room with a bed that will jump around in the night for £500, or just a tiny reclining chair in the lobby to sleep in, you wouldn't get £500 off me.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:21 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I might be in the minority here, but I'd be more likely to upgrade the day flight. When I'm sleeping, I'm sleeping, and a bit more leg room isn't really relevant to me. When I'm awake I get restless and want to move my legs about sometimes and that's when I am grateful for the extra space in WTP. Disclaimer: I'm only 5'5.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: ABBA
WT means a 3-3-3 Your girlfriend will have to sleep next to a leery pervy old man. WTP means a 2-4-2 layout, so she only has to sleep next to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.