Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk must take some of the blame for BA's onslaught

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk must take some of the blame for BA's onslaught

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
At that stage I think his 'Corporate' credibility was minimal
A bit like me come March, I'm heading (temporarily) the opposite way to yourself but hopefully back to shiny card towards the end of the year.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Sorry I don't agree with the OP.

It's easy as a regular FT reader or contributor to lose sight of the wider travel world and recognise that there are many millions of folks who have no idea that this forum exists, nor do they care. We are a tiny minority of generally savvy travellers.

I have no doubt that BA would move to prevent hemorrhaging significant amounts of money from a particular "thing" in use by FT'ers. However on balance we likely end up contributing more to their revenues; the fantastic TP run thread is evidence of folks spending more money with BA than they otherwise would.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: FT
come on folks. devalue miles, reduce the amount you have to carry these miles on their books.

at least they gave you notice unlike the last set of changes. stop the complaining...really. it wont matter.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree ... it's happened, interest rates are awful, weather's cold ... just suck it up and move on.

When you've been around as long as I have, and seen the changes to the basics of society, and the staggering evolution of technology, this "Dramatic Event" is a matchstick floating down the gutter of our existence. And 99.99997% of people in the UK won't even know or care that it has happened.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

To the op I believe the simple answer to be yes. While BA does maintain an official presence here, there will likely be a wider unofficial presence. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if select but generally more extreme quotes get cut and pasted to powerpoints to make a point about harm to revenues etc. These will generally be used in the best traditions of inaccurate journalism which neither provide sufficient context or right to reply.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Looking at the slow response times on Head for Points this morning his site must be generating loads of hits which will have a nice pleasing amount in his Adsense account. So he's definitely doing well out of these changes.

So will Internet Brands, FlyerTalk is packed with ads, unfortunately those who actually maintain this forum, the mods, don't see a penny of it as I believe they're all voluntary positions.
Unless you this is the only forum you visit you can't honestly believe the moderation here deserves compensation.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dc2447
Unless you this is the only forum you visit you can't honestly believe the moderation here deserves compensation.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by dc2447
Well the BA forum is the busiest one on FlyerTalk they probably make the largest percentage of revenue of the income generated by FlyerTalk for Internet Brands.

Anyway, I shouldn't have taken this off topic. We should move any more discussion of this into private.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Being charitable here, I read it as meaning thst some other forum moderators need to be paid danger money and supplied with a tin hat, and thst BTFT is lagely peaceful and self moderating.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Being charitable here, I read it as meaning thst some other forum moderators need to be paid danger money and supplied with a tin hat, and thst BTFT is lagely peaceful and self moderating.
^

The BA forum is a nice friendly fluffy place but we know that hard work goes on behind the scenes
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Dangerously staying OT ... it has improved. Whether thats us, or Mod PMs, I have no idea.

Anyway, as has been said, back to the Topic[s]
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:46 pm

Blogs and FT also generate interest and serve to increase loyalty. There is no doubt they contribute to increased bookings etc.

Or is DUB - HNL a genuinely popular niche route? :P
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Armodeen
Blogs and FT also generate interest and serve to increase loyalty. There is no doubt they contribute to increased bookings etc.

Or is DUB - HNL a genuinely popular niche route? :P
If BA didn't like us they wouldn't have a member of staff posting in here under an official capacity helping us with our problems
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Armodeen

Or is DUB - HNL a genuinely popular niche route?
It wasn't but ... it may be again. We are but putty in the hands of the Revenue Gods.

JER-LGW/LHR-LAX-HNL was OK ... our DUB run to SAV isn't until September
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:00 pm

It's not an onslaught. I've been in onslaughts, and they don't anything like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.