Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/£17.50 or 9000/£25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Fully agreed.
And a fifty percent increase in LH J, the typical award, is a serious devaluation of the program.
It could very well be justified from a business viewpoint and in agreement with the industry trend, but it is false to say that BAEC is back to where it was some time ago.

BTW, London-based posters might be the majority on this board, but it is not the majority of BA LH pax.
I agree with both of you.

There is a heavy LON bias on FT because that's where the money is and BA know that. I'd say BA's focus is LON and only LON a big FU to anyone in Scotland and the North of England. It puts them in a weak position when the inevitable happens. BA have essentially given up on shorthaul and especially connecting short-haul. CE is a joke and only for what's left of connecting traffic and companies with more cash than sense to pay for CE on sectors like LCY-RTM. BA are not even trying to compete with FR/EZY they accept the business is dead. The marketing messages may differ but the reality is there. BA is not far off totally giving up on UK connecting traffic going East.

I think its also quite foolish to think that SH will ever be profitable in itself, if you chip away at the product you just make it even more difficult to make a profit with a crap product. They have to bite the bullet for what it provides overall to the bottom line.

BTW 50 sectors for Silver is a reasonable reward in terms of curry's for the poor souls who put up with constant delayed flights. But while FB & M&M is total tosh at least its only 30 sectors and you can avoid LHR. No more than a third of my BA flights are ever on time!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
It puts them in a weak position when the inevitable happens.
Which is what precisely?

BA have essentially given up on shorthaul and especially connecting short-haul.
Really? Have you noticed how many shorthaul flights there are? I live in LBA and still get a regular feed. You can't really expect much more than that.

30% of BA's traffic is connecting, much of it to shorthaul. They cannot "give up" on it without jeopardising the profitability of the entire longhaul operation.

BA is not far off totally giving up on UK connecting traffic going East.
You've lost me.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by HAM76
Asia isn't the the only destination BA serves. On flights to the US there aren't that many oneworld alternatives with a much better product.
AA arguably has a better hard product on their 77Ws.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Which is what precisely?

Really? Have you noticed how many shorthaul flights there are? I live in LBA and still get a regular feed. You can't really expect much more than that.

30% of BA's traffic is connecting, much of it to shorthaul. They cannot "give up" on it without jeopardising the profitability of the entire longhaul operation.

You've lost me.
When the next banking or financial crisis comes along. Which is guaranteed! You can bet on it as much as you will die one day. We are on number 80 something.

It's not a matter of hhow many short-haul. I am referring that BA have given up on SH connecting to SH i.e. UK domestic to Europe. They have clearly given up attracting business on that as they consider it costs them more that point to point SH traffic to/from LON.

That's exactly the point. They need SH, they have to accept it may never be profitable in itself as it feeds LH.

As far as giving up to the East. BA don't compete for fares competitively with the likes of the ME3 + TK who all offer better products and services and importantly FARES for pax going to the East. Again, as far as connecting traffic goes from Domestic they are clearly not fussed about that traffic focussing again on LON.

It all comes down to London, London & London.

How long do you think LBA will last for before they find better use for that slot? It will go the way of RTM.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
+1. The London traffic is partly captive because BA vastly dominates in terms of network and frequencies, but connections is the part of the market where there is genuine competition. If BA loses it, profitability will be extremely fragile.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:41 am

Which is why it is a fallacy that we need additional capacity in London.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:41 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by techie
AA arguably has a better hard product on their 77Ws.
A friendly reminder that regardless if you choose BA or AA this is a JV and some part of your air fare will go to the other carrier, too
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When the next banking or financial crisis comes along. Which is guaranteed! You can bet on it as much as you will die one day. We are on number 80 something.
Yes, but that affects everyone not just London. Air traffic is extremely cyclical.

It's not a matter of hhow many short-haul. I am referring that BA have given up on SH connecting to SH i.e. UK domestic to Europe. They have clearly given up attracting business on that as they consider it costs them more that point to point SH traffic to/from LON.
I would agree with this. Shorthaul to shorthaul is a difficult proposition for customers to accept. Living in LBA the shorthaul-shorthaul scheduling is a real mess. I only endure it because I have lounge access and there isn't really an alternative to most places I go, except taking the train to LON or MAN which starts to look comparative time-wise. But not many folks want to be taking connections even at cheap prices. It doesn't really make much sense for BA to focus on selling SH->SH as a principle part of their operation.

That's exactly the point. They need SH, they have to accept it may never be profitable in itself as it feeds LH.
Yes that's true and is well understood by BA. There are attempts to "tune it" to be more profitable in places but it is not the function of SH.

As far as giving up to the East. BA don't compete for fares competitively with the likes of the ME3 + TK who all offer better products and services and importantly FARES for pax going to the East. Again, as far as connecting traffic goes from Domestic they are clearly not fussed about that traffic focussing again on LON.
On the other hand a diversion through the Middle East often adds considerable time and inconvenience to the journey. For example I go to KIX/ITM about once a year and have tried going through DXB/DWC, but it adds about eight hours to the total travel time (excluding the extra time it takes me to get to MAN). This year BA happened to sell me WT+ via LON and TYO for the same price as EK Y. It was a no brainer.

How long do you think LBA will last for before they find better use for that slot? It will go the way of RTM.
What I wonder is, if that's true, why they haven't already. What are they waiting for?

Someone told me it was something about insufficient aircraft.

We will see how it evolves.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Petrus

As been said hundreds of times already; BAEC is back to what it was before.
yes...that's right redemption levels are back to what they were before....
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:58 am

Sorry if this has already been covered but can someone explain how this would work:

Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades.

So currently if I book LHR to LAX lowest WTP upgrade to CW Im quoted £1400 + 25000 miles. How will this example journey be effected. I understand that I should add on up to 50% more miles for a peak ticket and less for an off peak.

If anyone can provide more info on how many miles could get used it would be really helpful.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
nice.

where was this angry mob when those of us were screwed with the prior changes?

oh, that's right, it did not impact you so you stood by....and you said nothing. in fact, you scoffed at us in NA.

well guess what, that is what happens.

even though i am impacted by this, i can not help but chuckle a little at you and say "now you know how it feels".
Whilst I don't take any joy in this. I remember well the scoffing when airmiles was scrapped and comments along the lines of "well BA doesn't want your custom so stop complaining". And "the world has changed so get over it".

Along with this was the snobiness demonstrated against tesco flyers and how they didn't deserve any loyalty. Well it now seems like BA don't actually care for a lot of their customers.

To now hear the outrage and calls for petitions from these same people is slightly ironic.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Petrus
As been said hundreds of times already; BAEC is back to what it was before.
It would be good if you could elaborate this statement. When before was it exactly what it will be from April 1st on? Personally I think that BAEC perks are becoming less and less interesting and that this evolution to always new lows goes at a very fast paste. The only exceptions might have been the introduction of life time gold and the possibility to call the EC 24/7. I do not remember any other real enhancement in the last 15 years. I might forget other improvements though.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by retroboyjinny
Sorry if this has already been covered but can someone explain how this would work:

Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades.

So currently if I book LHR to LAX lowest WTP upgrade to CW Im quoted £1400 + 25000 miles. How will this example journey be effected. I understand that I should add on up to 50% more miles for a peak ticket and less for an off peak.

If anyone can provide more info on how many miles could get used it would be really helpful.
LHR-LAX is 5456mi, which falls in Zone 6 IIRC.

So you pay the original WTP price (which I presume is £1400) and 30k Avios off peak, and 25k Avios during peak periods.

This is because CW off peak is 62.5k Avios, and peak is 75k Avios, vs WTP offpeak at 32.5k Avios, and peak at 50k Avios.

MPH1980 has a nice table that tells you the changes to UuA WTP-CW, which I've linked below, too.

MPC1980's UuA Changes Table

Last edited by MeltingAlf; Jan 30, 2015 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:43 am

I'm trying to work out what to do with my 320,000ish balance. Based in the north east RFS have obviously lost their value, but there is now the bonus of 4 seats per flight. I think I'm going to generate my last 241, downgrade the card and the go for a few summer breaks to Europe, combining with visiting the south. I think the long hauls are done after this summer, at least for a few years, and who knows what will be going on then.

Now I just need to work out what to do with my 25,000 amex MR points, I don't think I need any more avios!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
LHR-LAX is 5456mi, which falls in Zone 6 IIRC.

So you pay the original WTP price (which I presume is £1400) and 30k Avios off peak, and 25k Avios during peak periods.

This is because CW off peak is 62.5k Avios, and peak is 75k Avios, vs WTP offpeak at 32.5k Avios, and peak at 50k Avios.

MPH1980 has a nice table that tells you the changes to UuA WTP-CW, which I've linked below, too.

MPC1980's UuA Changes Table
Where is this formula published? Is this announcement hidden away somewhere? This is a major change, if it is indeed changing, which should be prominently announced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.