Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Accidental plane spotting from kitchen window

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Looked up this morning at about 7am and saw a BA A380 passing overhead in SW London on its way home. A great way to start the day over a cup of tea.

Walking to the train station I saw a few more lined up, the AA 777-300ER was next, nowhere near as majestic
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Justonemore
Looked up this morning at about 7am and saw a BA A380 passing overhead in SW London on its way home. A great way to start the day over a cup of tea.

Walking to the train station I saw a few more lined up, the AA 777-300ER was next, nowhere near as majestic
Looking up is definitely the best view of them, the full frontal view is well what looks like the result of a liaison between a particularly ugly whale and Kryton off Red Dwarf.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Which whales have you fancied most? presumably not the particularly ugly ones?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
The heath in Blackheath is an excellent viewing spot, and I walk down through it most days - had the QR A380 come over last week, first time I'd seen one of them. Still not sure what I make of the big bird in that livery.

Only seen a BA one twice mind you, and one of those times was the training flight when I was on it...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't resist looking up whenever I hear an aircraft overhead especially when it sounds like a widebody.

I regularly see the KLM 777 either going to SCL from EZE or returning sometimes quite low despite EZE being 100 miles away. Often catch sight of the LAN Dreamliner or LAN Cargo 777 doing the same route.

No chance of seeing a BA one though unless they add on SCL which is a possibility.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My bedroom on Richmond Green had good views across Old Deer Park, just where they dropped the landing gear on approach to LHR 27R and applied a touch of power to compensate. I don't miss that at all.

Nor did I miss the RAF Manby Jet Provosts doing circuit flying right over my room from 0700 in the Summer, especially as I'd just come off Night Shift at 0400 and was trying to get some sleep before starting again at 1300.

I recall when we moved into Married Quarters at RAF Waddington, in the V-Force days, and we stepped into the garden to view what we had been given. iWife sniffed the air, and with a happy smile said, "Ahhh, Avtur"

Aircraft are noisy and smelly [on the ground]. But I do appreciate their utility, in peace/war/deterrence*.

*Unlike most politicians.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by T8191
My bedroom on Richmond Green had good views across Old Deer Park, just where they dropped the landing gear on approach to LHR 27R and applied a touch of power to compensate. I don't miss that at all.
But presumably you were happy to trade off a bit of noise for the convenience of being 20 minutes away from the world's best connected airport?
[This is the reasoning I use for being the only one in SW London in favour of a third (and a fourth) runway at LHR]
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I live in the Midlands but but we are in the flight path of most N. American flights to/from LHR, but also from other airports such as CDG, AMS etc. We are also in the flight path for flights descending into East Midlands Airport, so get a great view there too.

So whenever I see/hear something above, I tend to look it up on the Plane Finder app.

Saw an Air France A380 yesterday from Paris to LAX.

A friend was also on their way to Toronto, so I tracked the plane from when it took off, to when I saw it flying above my house.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
I can recall seeing many planes going to land at LHR at the train station near Isleworth Crown Court. I always hoped that they were having a better day than me

H
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold77
But presumably you were happy to trade off a bit of noise for the convenience of being 20 minutes away from the world's best connected airport? ...
Ahh, I was but a lad them, and didn't travel much. Although, in 63 I did spot my father getting onto the car to pick me up from LHR* - he was cutting it fine, but there was less traffic in those days!!

* Accidental benefit of having an A-seat on the Britannia!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Well, I live in the US and so what we get to see here is a bit different.

I've learned to recognize the distinct sound of high-displacement piston engines.

Five weeks ago, for example, I looked out my office window and was astonished to see a B-24, of which only two in the world still fly.

DC-3s (C-47s) come by all the time, though. The one with three big white stripes is my favorite because that special one-time-only paint job reminds me of our finest hour, before or since.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Hoch
I can recall seeing many planes going to land at LHR at the train station near Isleworth Crown Court. I always hoped that they were having a better day than me

H

Were you in the dock or on The bench? If neither then perhaps we've been against each other. I remember seeing Concorde coming over Richmond in the late afternoon - such beautiful sight and much missed.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
The other day a FlyMayBe Dash 8 passed about 50 feet over my car inbound to Southampton airport whilst I was on the M27. Apart from the Chinook from Odiham flying alongside the M3 near Basingstoke yesterday, that's all I have seen in the last few days, it's been dark when I left the house and dark when I have got home so haven't seen any Heathrow inbounds/out bounds.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR & BAEC Lifetime Gold, VS Red, EK Blue, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriot Silver
Living on a hill just a few miles south-west of LHR, we have frequent departures from the 27s over our house, with the often window-rattling effects of a heavy 777 or 747 swooping low overhead. When out in the garden it's difficult to not look up and admire a big jet embark on another journey.

I've also been fortunate enough to spot my house from the F or K seat when heading for Europe or the Middle East, or to South Africa from the A seat. I was even fortunate enough to see it from an easterly departure when heading to NY. It's weird feeling seeing your house, knowing your family is in it, as you head thousands of miles away.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboJim
Living on a hill just a few miles south-west of LHR, we have frequent departures from the 27s over our house, with the often window-rattling effects of a heavy 777 or 747 swooping low overhead. When out in the garden it's difficult to not look up and admire a big jet embark on another journey.

I've also been fortunate enough to spot my house from the F or K seat when heading for Europe or the Middle East, or to South Africa from the A seat. I was even fortunate enough to see it from an easterly departure when heading to NY. It's weird feeling seeing your house, knowing your family is in it, as you head thousands of miles away.
Greetings, and welcome to FT, Your Majesty

Nice house - done the tour, I'm jealous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.