Wiki Posts
Search

CW seat divider etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
CW seat divider etiquette

Do you usually ask before raising the divider or is it generally accepted that having the divider raised is standard, and so just go ahead and raise it when allowed?
Have you ever asked and been told "no" in response? (Does anyone prefer it down beside take-off and landing?

I think my first CW flight (Stone Age?) I sat there sheepishly wanting to raise it but didn't know how and I didn't want to offend by asking. I think eventually an alert CC raised it about 20 mins into the flight.

For crew, is there a service standard in place when it comes to serving drinks & meals to CW window seats? I've had both where they lower the screen and pass it over, and where they place onto your tray directly from the gap between seats.

Much prefer the second way, especially for meals and choosing rolls.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Put it up as soon as possible. The passenger in the other seat may not be familiar with the seat and that it can be put up.

I believe I've read on FT that the service standard is to serve through the divider.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:56 am

Agree on putting it up as soon as possible.

Also prefer the second way of serving - but 90% of the time it's done through the divider. It's REALLY annoying on a sleeper service if you're on the aisle and your window seat mate decides they want to eat on the flight. Earplugs help - but not with everything.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by DAC71
Does anyone prefer it down beside take-off and landing?
It can go up as soon as the safetly briefing is finished.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MPH1980
Agree on putting it up as soon as possible.

Also prefer the second way of serving - but 90% of the time it's done through the divider. It's REALLY annoying on a sleeper service if you're on the aisle and your window seat mate decides they want to eat on the flight. Earplugs help - but not with everything.
Don't blame your seat mate, it is BA SOP to serve through the divider, not around it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:07 am

I find the whole thing awkward where you are facing a stranger and both are probably wondering when its okay to put the divide up. Us British probably don't want to come across as rude by putting it up. I have had a few instances where the cabin crew remove the awkwardness and put them up after the safety briefing. Maybe they can make that a global feature. After safety briefing, they all go up and its up to people to put them down if they are sat next to a friend etc.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:11 am

I raise it immediately after the safety briefing... My favourite feature of the CW seat is its privacy (and the very reason why, despite dated and routinely dirty, I prefer it to some other biz class products).

Originally Posted by DAC71
Does anyone prefer it down beside take-off and landing?
It does not need to be lowered for landing (nor take off). Just for the safety briefing.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
I normally smile to my seat mate and say "Nothing personal" and put it up immediately after the briefing.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by HeraclesBOAC
Don't blame your seat mate, it is BA SOP to serve through the divider, not around it.
I don't blame the seat mate - the noise created is a direct result of BA's SOPs and seat design.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
This whole serve through the divider nonsense needs to go. Whirrrrrrrrrrrrr. Whirrrrrrrrrrrrr. Whirrrrrrrrrrrrr. Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr every 2 minutes does my head in. Poor passenger in the aisle was trying to sleep too - oh no you don't you listen to this mate: whirrrrrrrrrrr whirrrrrrrrrrrr.

Finally persuaded them to stop it by putting my hand over the button. Got my wine passed over the top then and the food around the end (which is far classier)

In the meantime I look forward to the sound of electric motors
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by evacboy
I normally smile to my seat mate and say "Nothing personal" and put it up immediately after the briefing.
Ugh. That's even worse than just putting the thing up without saying a word.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, Skywards Silver
Just don't phrase it the way a women did once on a flight to KIN. She sat in the aisle seat where I was already in the window seat. Clearly hadn't flown BA CW before. After a few minutes she said " I don't think I can bear to look at you for the whole flight. Is there anything that can be done?"....
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Out of courtesy, I wait till after take off and there is nothing else to see through the window other than sky for the aisle seat, then hit the button. Do not normally speak.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Press the button and wave at your seat-mate as it rises. It usual elicits a smile.

When I was younger, I used to wait until the other person popped to the loo, but now I'm older and don't care what they think.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mauzac
Just don't phrase it the way a women did once on a flight to KIN. She sat in the aisle seat where I was already in the window seat. Clearly hadn't flown BA CW before. After a few minutes she said " I don't think I can bear to look at you for the whole flight. Is there anything that can be done?"....
Are you sure it was because of this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.