Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The FT Milan DO - a moveable feast - Saturday 6 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please vote for the dates that best suit you (multiple selections possible)
Friday 29 May
34.78%
Saturday 30 May
52.17%
Friday 5 June
17.39%
Saturday 6 June
65.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: themapelligroup
Signore e signori, it's my great pleasure to invite you to the FT Milan DO 2015. Milan is Italy's second largest city, and this year the world will gather here for the EXPO. A city of history, culture, entertainment, food, art and genius. I hope you will enjoy the experience!

When:
Saturday 6th of June.

Where:
Aperitivo (18:00-19:45):
Sans Egal
Vicolo Fiori, 2, 20121 Milano
http://goo.gl/maps/Zbdrt
http://www.sansegal.it

Cena (20:00-onwards):
Osteria Stendhal
Via Ancona, 20121 Milano
http://goo.gl/maps/itg2o
http://www.osteriastendhal.it

Who:
Aldebaran
corporate-wage-slave
EI147
gypsyjaney + 1
haasha
hugolover + 1
maclover
nufnuf77
szentkeresztya
themapelligroup

Hotels:
Milan offers a large variety of hotels, from the top luxury ones to more compact ones, from historic to modern, the only problem is to choose one! Milan is well connected by metro, taxis, buses, trams and its relatively small in comparison to other major european cities. One can choose to stay in the traditional city centre among the Duomo, Central Station and Parco Sempione or the movida district near Garibaldi station and Corso Como. Navigli area in the southwest part of the city is a charming area which transforms itself at night. The EXPO will be held in Rho Fiera, in the east of the city, in case you decide to stay closer to the exposition area. As I mentioned it's very easy to get around in Milan.

Flights:
BA has an extensive network to Milan, with 9 flights a day, to both Linate (6 flights) and Malpensa (3 flights). For your information Alitalia, EasyJet and Ryanair (yes I said it) fly to Milan as well, in case you're in for trying something new .

Which airport?
Linate:
You can get to city center by bus (line 73, ticket fare: 1.50€) that brings you to San Babila Square.
Taxi fares may vary according to your final destination and most of all traffic, so I would contact your hotel to obtain average taxi fares.

Malpensa:
Malpensa Express train (ticket fare: 12€ one way): trains mostly to Milano Cadorna station (near the Castello Sforzesco), but some run to Central Station.
Malpensa Express coach (ticket fare: 10€ one way): the coach connects the airport with central station.
Taxi: very expensive (around 100€) to get to city center.

My preference usually is for Linate, it allows me to leave later because it's much closer and smaller than Malpensa. Boarding is always made through bus (very annoying) while in Malpensa it's usually from jet bridge. Lounges are both pretty good, galleries in LIN and contract in MXP (but very nice with amazing view of the alps).

Attractions:
There are so many things to do that it's difficult to list them all. A walk in Duomo Square and Galleria is a must for all the visitors, the city center is a beautiful example of italian architecture from various centuries: Castello Sforzesco is a marvelous testimony of Italian medieval heritage. A visit to The Last Supper by Leonardo is suggestive, though you need to book it well in advance. EXPO tickets can be already booked on the website, so in case you're going to visit it it's good to buy your ticket in advance. La Scala is one of the most famous opera theatre of the world, if you don't get the chance to get into for a Opera or Balletto the museum and tour is well worth a visit. If you're more inclined to sport, and for sport I mean football, a visit to San Siro Stadium is highly instructive on how legendary a football team can be and how hideous the other can be (I won't say who's who, but the good one wears the colours of the sky and the night ). Last but not least the world (in)famous Quadrilatero della moda, where all the amazing and super exclusive boutiques are located. A place where women can feel in heaven and men can see their credit cards emptied.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP

I'm sure Ernest Hemingway will lend us his quote for the DO, for Milan will be a moveable feast.

Milan will be an exciting place in 2015, the EXPO will open on the 1st of May and will last until the 31st of October. The city has changed and is changing for this great event. I'm certain it will be a huge success, in spite of the corruption scandals we faced. No time will be better than this to visit and explore the city, as well as the surrounding areas.

I thought about a few nice places, but at the end I figured out that Milan itself should be the venue: the DO will be held in a 1920s historic tram which will go all around the city. There will be a buffet on the tram and of course champagne and wine in the true spirit of FT. A true movable feast of the roaring twenties.

I would like to organize it on a Friday or Saturday in late May or June, after the Edinburgh DO and before the Jersey one, I will ask the mods to add a poll if this event gains interest.

I hope you will come along!

The DO is set for Saturday 6th of June

maclover will help me for the DO, if other FTers from Italy want to give suggestions post them here or feel free to PM me or maclover

Last edited by themapelligroup; Jan 19, 2015 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Operational commitments allowing I will be there!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I shall make every effort to attend. It should really be held in Alba, Piedmont, so I can reduce my HBO even further!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:59 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Sounds like a great idea! Milan is lovely and I would love to attend. End of May also has a handy bank holiday here so that might be an idea?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Much though I love Milan (I go there 5 or 6 times a year) and the green Special Event tram is fun, won't accommodation in Milan be exorbitant during the EXPO?

Lombardy region are expecting 20 million visitors in 2015 as opposed to the usual 6-7 million. Surely that will affect hotel prices, especially in Milan?

I know I for one I am avoiding Milan from May to October for other than essential travel.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I never seem to be free when FT dos are on, but just like the Jersey one it sounds excellent. So I'd love to come if spaces are available nearer and it turns out I have time. Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this.

If I can't make it, good luck and I'm sure it will be a success.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Excellent idea. As you are probably aware there are already quite a few Do's in the pipeline this year so in terms of dates it would be nice to have them spaced out to maximise the potential attendees. The master Do thread is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...er-thread.html
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

It's a strong maybe for me at the moment and I can possibly do the beginning or mid June at the latest.

Personally, Saturdays would be best for the actual Do.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
If there is any way I can come I will.

Thanks for organising this, sounds brilliant ^

Ideally not late bank holiday weekend in May, should be able to make most other dates.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I really hope to make it to a Do this year. While I'd love to go to Milano, I think I'm stuck with a trip to Ottawa around the proposed dates, so the EDI one will probably work better for me unless this one somehow shifts to one of the last two weekends in June. Sounds like a great idea for a Do!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:00 am

I'm definitely in! Pretty much every weekend is fine for me.

If anyone wants to arrange a side trip to TRN, feel free to contact me ;-)
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
It should be easy to manage from Malta!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
would love to come but only one weekend in 3 I'm not at the grindstone earning the corn . so my fingers are crossed...
John
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I shall make every effort to attend. It should really be held in Alba, Piedmont, so I can reduce my HBO even further!
That's another fabulous place! Truffle festival is in November though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.