Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American booking for BA flights.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:42 am
Original Poster

American booking for BA flights.

About to book DUB-LCY-JFK-LCY-LHR-CPH in J, £809 on AA.com, £902 on BA.com. As they are all BA flights, will I get a MMB so I can choose my seats? Or is that only available on BA.com booked flights?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
You can use MMB to select seats (as long as your BA membership number is in the booking), but note that BA flights booked under AA code will result in less avios in business class...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calum
About to book DUB-LCY-JFK-LCY-LHR-CPH in J, £809 on AA.com, £902 on BA.com. As they are all BA flights, will I get a MMB so I can choose my seats? Or is that only available on BA.com booked flights?

Thanks in advance!
If your BAEC number is in it will show in MMB. You should get an AA PNR from aa.com whihc will let you book no seats since you habe no AA flights, but you should also be able to get a BA PNR which will allow you to select BA seats for your BA flights.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Yes.

In the E-ticket confirmation email AA.com sends out you should be able to find the BA reference in the flights. There will be a line like:

OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS /BA 0711R/AAAAAA
CHECK-IN WITH OPERATING CARRIER

AAAAAA representing the BA Booking reference.

I did this myself, and it worked okay. If for some reason you didn't get this email, you'll have to contact AA on the phone.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold

Thanks in advance!
I had to do this as mine weren't shown on ba.com.

Make sure you put your BA FF ID in at time of booking. You need the record locator of the flight (if unsure call AA who will give it to you)

- Call BA with the flight details and record locator and they add it to your FF page and there you can select seats.

YMMV!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

Thanks in advance!
Why not book with BA on the phone asking for AA codeshares? You would have a BA-issued ticket and everything would be nice and easy for the price of £809.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Why not book with BA on the phone asking for AA codeshares? You would have a BA-issued ticket and everything would be nice and easy for the price of £809.
You might just be on to something... £809 does seem like a bit of a steal but the AA.com flights were BA1 out and AA6230 back so maybe I'll see what it is with both AA codeshares.

Edit, just priced it up. Comes to £760. I think I'll be making my first call to BA shortly...

Last edited by Calum; Dec 19, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by gordo6
but note that BA flights booked under AA code will result in less avios in business class...
Really? I thought the number of Avios was determined by whose metal you are on (irrelevant of flight prefix) then bonus for class and status?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
Really? I thought the number of Avios was determined by whose metal you are on (irrelevant of flight prefix) then bonus for class and status?
I think that's how it works over at Star Alliance, but not OW.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
No, it's the marketing carrier that is responsible for any and all Avios (but the amount also depends on operating carrier - eg. AS flight booked under AA numbers --> full TPs and Avios and extra Avios for class of service and status; AS booked under AS --> only base Avios)

Same with AAnumbers on BA metal, they earn according to AA chart, so 125% for J and 150% for F I believe.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

No, it's the marketing carrier that is responsible for any and all Avios (but the amount also depends on operating carrier - eg. AS flight booked under AA numbers --> full TPs and Avios and extra Avios for class of service and status; AS booked under AS --> only base Avios)

Same with AAnumbers on BA metal, they earn according to AA chart, so 125% for J and 150% for F I believe.
So just to confirm, If I book under the AA codeshares, I will get full TP's? So 40-210-210-40(I'm not taking LHR-CPH so I'll probably lose the 40 TP's)

Trying to maximise TP's when only going to JFK is pretty hard.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

So just to confirm, If I book under the AA codeshares, I will get full TP's? So 40-210-210-40(I'm not taking LHR-CPH so I'll probably lose the 40 TP's)

Trying to maximise TP's when only going to JFK is pretty hard.
Yes, full TPs on AA codeshares operated by BA (though not for BA1-4 on AY numbers as reported elsewhere), just a wee bit less Avios.

Last edited by nufnuf77; Dec 19, 2014 at 9:06 am Reason: warning about AY BA1-4 codeshare
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Silver BAEC
Hi,

I'm struggling to find those prices. How did you price them up? What dates? I'm looking to do something similar but its coming up with over £1500.

Cheers!

Approach
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Yes, full TPs on AA codeshares operated by BA (though not for BA1-4 on AY numbers as reported elsewhere), just a wee bit less Avios.
Great! Thanks!! I'll be on the phone at some point to them then. Hopefully it works like a normal booking with AA flight numbers. I've spent more going WT to EWR at £840 rt.

Originally Posted by Approach
Hi,.....

Approach
I'll pm you!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Approach
Hi,

I'm struggling to find those prices. How did you price them up? What dates? I'm looking to do something similar but its coming up with over £1500.

Cheers!

Approach
Hi Approach,

It's within the IL28SALE, you have to find yourself within the dates:
Code:
PERMITTED 23DEC 14 THROUGH 02JAN 15 OR 27MAR 15 THROUGH
  12APR 15 ON THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR
  OR - PERMITTED 01JUL 15 THROUGH 31AUG 15
  OR - PERMITTED 22NOV 15 THROUGH 30NOV 15 ON THE FIRST
       INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
And you have to route from DUB to CPH or vice versa to get rid of a bit of YQ. Voila the price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.