Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:17 am

Lounge etiquette ?

People standing over the buffet with a (usually open) mouth crammed with food dropping out as they masticate, whilst loading up their plate.

Recently in Islamabad, I watched one of the staff come out of one of the traps in the rest room, and walk straight out. I finished urinating, washed MY hands (using a tissue to grab the door handle) only to find him arranging the sandwiches on the buffet with his bare hands.

Next trip, KL to MAN via DXB. Again, someone comes out of the toilet, without washing. Takes seat 3F across the aisle from me. Chap sat next to me (3H) sneezes regularly into his hands. Senior CC comes around and shakes toilet man by the hand to introduce herself, then shakes hands with Sneezy, then offers me her hand in greeting, and looks upset when I decline. I find her in the galley later to explain why.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
In my - purely anecdotal - experience driving in London, those cyclists with Christmas tree lighting and helmet cameras are some of the most aggressive, to whom but the rules of car AND pedestrian, variously apply (or not).
As someone who used to ride a lot in London, I hate to agree. It was very rare I would turn up at traffic lights on red to have other bikes waiting.

However well over 50% of the bikes that arrived at the line after me tended to wait at the line (I'm including a "successful wait" as the metre or two in front of the line for when cars had blocked the ASL, which was a common occurrence). I never did the maths to work out if that was normal behaviour, or if it's true that cyclists tended to obey the red lights when they were shown up by people setting a good example.

Worst drivers were the bus ones. One time stood out, while I was waiting at a (red) traffic light going onto a roundabout, in the centre of left hand lane of 3, I had one driver blasting his horn for a good 30 seconds.

Generally trips over about 4 years were incident free, aside from one van driver who decided to seriously cut me up (I actually rode into the side of his van before I managed to stop, given I was doing a good 20mph at the time - at least the murder-railings didn't squish me).

He took exception to this so got out and headbutted me, dropping his DHL id card in the process! Combined with a friendly driver who chased after him and got his numberplate, I believe he lost his job after his court appearance.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
why bother to sue?

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
People's inappropriate behaviour no longer surprises me. I have seen mothers change their baby in the seat during meal service on flights - some even handing a dirty nappy to the cabin crew while they are doing food service! Unbelievable, but no longer surprising. I never use to see anything like this many years ago, anywhere, but it is not even that unusual. It stunk the cabin out and was awful.

Actually I think airlines should start suing those passengers/lounge users for compensation when they behave ridiculously like that and affect other people's enjoyment of their flight or lounge

Unbelievable. People who are lacking in such basic common sense and manners should be banned from flights and lounges until they pass a test of basic common sense and manners.
why bother even thinking about suing them. just refuse them access. why are dogs or any pets allowed to roam free in the lounge? I just flew back form LAX to EWR and someone with a small dog on a leash (no carrier) not only allowed to board, but boarded before GS/1K/First class.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by privacylawyer
why bother even thinking about suing them. just refuse them access. why are dogs or any pets allowed to roam free in the lounge? I just flew back form LAX to EWR and someone with a small dog on a leash (no carrier) not only allowed to board, but boarded before GS/1K/First class.
Guide dogs should have a leash, otherwise they're not very useful. Hearing dogs are probably slightly more useful without a leash, but should have a leash. Any other "assistance dogs" should be taken off the owners, who should be shot.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paulwuk
As someone who used to ride a lot in London, I hate to agree. It was very rare I would turn up at traffic lights on red to have other bikes waiting.
After a painful accident, I gave up cycling on London's streets. I now confine it to mountain biking with the dog through the Surrey hills and forests. Driving out of London anytime after 1630 in the winter is stressful because of the biker brigade..you never know where they're coming from. Sorry, will stop the OT rant now.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Guide dogs should have a leash, otherwise they're not very useful. Hearing dogs are probably slightly more useful without a leash, but should have a leash. Any other "assistance dogs" should be taken off the owners, who should be shot.
Come on, it's Friday...lighten up.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by privacylawyer
. why are dogs or any pets allowed to roam free in the lounge?
I just misread you post as 'DOGS OR ANY OTHER PESTS' and laughed out really loud in the office But I totally agree!!!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
Come on, it's Friday...lighten up.
I've just Been looking at la to syd and rio to syd flights in 3 weeks - Friday doesn't even exist! Scary things non eupreans have to deal with!

Need a Tokyo-HNL flight to have Friday twice
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
People who are lacking in such basic common sense and manners should be banned from flights and lounges until they pass a test of basic common sense and manners.
Ban them from Flyertalk too please...^
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by njf63
him almost killing me, then me verbally challenging his lethal driving, then him getting out of the cab and punching me off the bike
Sounds like a cabbie...

I was boris biking home yesterday and a cabbie decided to overtake me, then pull in on the left in front of me to let someone out, almost knocking me off. I shouted "what are you doing!?" and waved my arms around like a nutter, but of course he drives a black cab so he's right about everything and it was totally my fault for existing, which he made clear in a barrage of verbal abuse. I'm sure he's the sort that only takes cash too.

One of many reason I will now only use Uber in London
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Any other "assistance dogs" should be taken off the owners, who should be shot.
Who should be shot? The dogs, the owners, or both?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Who should be shot? The dogs, the owners, or both?
It it reasonable obvious, both from the sentence construction and the use of the pronoun who rather than it.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I hate it when you find a nice, quiet space in the lounge and some moron strides towards you away from other pax to make that so-important loud phone call about how tiddles is doing just 3h after they left it.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
It it reasonable obvious, both from the sentence construction and the use of the pronoun who rather than it.
Don't you just love grammar karma?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.