Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA launches regional rail partnership with with HEX and First Great Western

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold

British Airways has announced a new partnership with Heathrow Express and First Great Western, allowing customers to buy single tickets incorporating their flights and rail journeys.

The combined tickets will be available from all travel agents working with BA in the UK, and will allow passengers to board the next available flight or rail service, should their connection be delayed in either direction. Overnight accommodation will also be provided should an alternative flight not be available on the same day.

See www.businesstraveller.com/news/101088/ba-launches-regional-rail-partnership

Interesting development if you live in the South West.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Apparently it covers Oxford, too. (Reported in The Times this morning).

Will be interesting to see how this prices up - why do I suspect it won't be all that favourable....
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: ABBA
Finally services to NQY?!

I suspect BA will stop serving LBA, MAN and maybe NCL soon enough.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:30 am
Company Representative - British Airways

British Airways partnership with HEX and First Great Western

Dear All

From 5 December 2014 you will be able to book train tickets in conjunction with British Airways flights for travel from 11 First Great Western stations* through your preferred travel agent.

Customers will be able to travel from St Austell to St Petersburg or Bath to Boston, with ease and journeys on the Heathrow Express, which departs every 15 minutes from Paddington for Heathrow’s Terminal 5 and Terminal 3, will also be included in the cost of the ticket.

The combined booking takes away the stress and fear of missing a flight, if a train is delayed or a connection missed, by giving customers the peace of mind they’ll be on the next available flight – and even get overnight accommodation if the next service isn’t on the same day. Customers will also be able to get on the next available train service, if their flight is delayed.

The 11 stations include Bath, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Cardiff, Exeter, Plymouth, Oxford, Par, Penzance, St Austell and Swansea.

We hope this is a welcome addition for our customers travelling regularly from these areas and are very excited to be bringing this service to you in partnership with Heathrow Express and First Great Western.

Warm Regards

Jeni
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:35 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Official announcement here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-western.html
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think this is a great idea, in particular the in-built flight protection. Hopefully this is a success and its extended further north.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I wonder how much more (or less!) this protection will cost compared to booking the tickets separately.

Will you be able to earn Avios and TP on the train portion? (and presumably it will count for BA spend on the BAPP)
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Where is the footnote to clarify what the asterisk is for?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC
I think it would be great if this was extended to Virgin West Coast, and the future Virgin East Coast. I suppose the difficulty in that would be that a) They use the Virgin brand, so would be unlikely to partner with BA, and b) the London connections would be rather more difficult than conveniently jumping on the HEX from Paddington.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, KL/AF Lifetime Platinum, TK Gold
Originally Posted by GSTBK
I think it would be great if this was extended to Virgin West Coast, and the future Virgin East Coast. I suppose the difficulty in that would be that a) They use the Virgin brand, so would be unlikely to partner with BA, and b) the London connections would be rather more difficult than conveniently jumping on the HEX from Paddington.
I assume there is no great urgency to do that as BA serve several points on the Virgin East Coast and West Coast networks with flights. And also those train networks are not as logical for onward journeys from Heathrow as opposed to First Great Western which operate from nearby stations.

I think this is about opening up areas of the UK not currently served by BA from Heathrow, such as the West Country and South Wales.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Didn't SQ do this first?!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
Does that matter ?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:13 am

This would be a great idea, and if it does work, they can implement this to Gatwick as well?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GSTBK
I think this new initiative is a great idea for those travelling from the areas mentioned.However as some of those places are already served by direct coach to LHR I'm not sure many would favour taking the train especially when it involves having to change in London to the HEX with luggage.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
I know CX and LH does this..think AF as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.