Wiki Posts
Search

easiest same day return?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:36 am
09R
Original Poster

easiest same day return?

the Mrs is 2 BA flights away from silver. We had booked to go away somewhere but the little one got ill so had to cancel.

Now looking to send the Mrs on a same day return on her own.

Current best option (within England) is Leeds. Arrives 8:40am and comes back 9:25 - is this easily doable? (Obviously will check in online for both). When arriving is is easy to exit at arrivals and go up to departures or is there a transfers lane she should follow? Are there any particular airports which are ideal for this kind of same day return?

I know there are other threads on this but struggling on my mobile device! Many thanks for your help!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Here's the thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tinations.html

..but Leeds (LBA) isn't listed. Its about a year since I've been to LBA but I think it is exit arrivals and re-enter security process so that turnaround will be very tight. Edinburgh or Glasgow would probably be best as you arrive and leave from the same concourse. Could also do it at Newcastle.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Newcastle isn't great as you are stuck in that domestic air side bit. Edinburgh or Glasgow sound far better especially without lounge access.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonnykanzen
the Mrs is 2 BA flights away from silver. We had booked to go away somewhere but the little one got ill so had to cancel.

Current best option (within England) is Leeds. Arrives 8:40am and comes back 9:25 - is this easily doable? (Obviously will check in online for both). When arriving is is easy to exit at arrivals and go up to departures or is there a transfers lane she should follow? Are there any particular airports which are ideal for this kind of same day return?

I know there are other threads on this but struggling on my mobile device! Many thanks for your help!
Yes, should be fine. See this thread for some comments.

Basically you will have to exit landside and go through security again, but LBA is a small airport. When you exit from the baggage hall to landside turn right and follow the building around. You will pass the check in desks and come to security. Use fast track security. Once through up one floor, follow the corridor but turn left through the duty free shop before you get to burger king, once through the shop pass the waiting area for gate 9 on your right. BA flight usually goes from gate 7 which is passed the Yorkshire Premier Lounge and around the corner. If you are at or towards the front of the aircraft and therefore quickly off I would expect you to get all the way around before all the passengers have come off. You should have at least 10 minutes buffer time before they start boarding.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, should be fine. See this thread for some comments.

Basically you will have to exit landside and go through security again, but LBA is a small airport. When you exit from the baggage hall to landside turn right and follow the building around. You will pass the check in desks and come to security. Use fast track security. Once through up one floor, follow the corridor but turn left through the duty free shop before you get to burger king, once through the shop pass the waiting area for gate 9 on your right. BA flight usually goes from gate 7 which is passed the Yorkshire Premier Lounge and around the corner. If you are at or towards the front of the aircraft and therefore quickly off I would expect you to get all the way around before all the passengers have come off. You should have at least 10 minutes buffer time before they start boarding.
I've seen some pretty long queues at Leeds security with the Jet 2 charters, even in fast track.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
I've seen some pretty long queues at Leeds security with the Jet 2 charters, even in fast track.
Even in the unlikely event there is a long queue (there usually isn't) just ask one of the staff and I am sure they will let you fast track the fast track line.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It's not within England, but if LGW is convenient then Jersey is an even shorter flight than Leeds.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jonnykanzen

It's probably doable but I'd recommend enjoying a day in Leeds. Regular bus service into town (about 20-30 mins), great place for shopping and then back to the airport. If she's never been before, Leeds is worth a visit.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by :D!
It's not within England, but if LGW is convenient then Jersey is an even shorter flight than Leeds.
Only just, by 8 miles according to gcmap. Depending on wind direction that day, so runway and SID from LGW it could be longer. I would agree though, JER is a good easy choice for a back-to-back whether you exit directly in to the gate area or even exit in to the arrivals corridor and have to go around and through secuirty again. AMS is also a good choice. I guess it depends on where is cheapest for the dates you are looking at.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you have lounge access NCL is best, if not EDI is probably best (small risk of a bus arrival which unfortunately pushes you to landside), or Glasgow where the risk is lower, or ABZ where there is no risk. In all four cases, most of the time it can't go wrong. You can work your way from NCL back to the main lounge, but involves going through doors marked "no entry". IOM, MAN and LBA are more awkward. BHD can be done airside but you may need some help to go up some stairs in the wrong direction. It is allowed, but it's not signed.

NCL has a metro into town, EDI the tram, and Glasgow is a bus.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; United Premier Platinum; Emirates Gold; Hilton Diamond
I am currently half-way through doing a back-to-back to Copenhagen. I can't believe there's any airport easier than this: exited jet-bridge and immediately able to turn back on myself and enter the gate-lounge. Had booked myself to return on the 817 (arrived on the 814) but arrived with so much time that I quickly hurried to Departures and the check-in lady put me on the 815 (the same plane) with no hassle. Back through security and sitting in my favourite seat.

I think I'm definitely going to make this my turn-around airport of choice! Too good. Now to work out why I can't select my seat on my flight to MIA tomorrow....
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by jhks23
I am currently half-way through doing a back-to-back to Copenhagen. I can't believe there's any airport easier than this: exited jet-bridge and immediately able to turn back on myself and enter the gate-lounge. Had booked myself to return on the 817 (arrived on the 814) but arrived with so much time that I quickly hurried to Departures and the check-in lady put me on the 815 (the same plane) with no hassle. Back through security and sitting in my favourite seat.

I think I'm definitely going to make this my turn-around airport of choice! Too good. Now to work out why I can't select my seat on my flight to MIA tomorrow....
AMS is very easy as well as depature and arrivals streams are mixed. You can walk off the airbridge in to the pier D gate area and then just get back on when boarding starts. Added to that you have some options to go from LGW, LCY, and LHR, and it is a much shorter flight so you can get there and back very quickly.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
AMS and CPH can very occasionally be not so good if you end up at the wrong gate (e.g. a 767 substitution). Ditto HAM, DUS and HEL if bus.

GOT, SVG, BGO, OPO and SOF are idiot proof.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Not sure I understand the reluctance regarding NCL. If you park at the usual gate (which is gate 3) then you have to walk past the lounge on your way from the gate to arrivals. I don't see any issue with going straight into the lounge, especially if you're already checked in for the return!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Not sure I understand the reluctance regarding NCL. If you park at the usual gate (which is gate 3) then you have to walk past the lounge on your way from the gate to arrivals. I don't see any issue with going straight into the lounge, especially if you're already checked in for the return!
It looks like the OP's spouse is about to get, rather than renew, Silver, so no lounge and just a set of seats to look at, no shops. Having said that, if she is nice, she may be able to talk her way into the lounge if she is very close to Silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.