Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LHR lounge before flight to Frankfurt (after VS UC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR

I am trying to work out a plan to first fly on VS LAX-LHR (love the pods and can use miles). Then I want to fly (same day) on BA to Frankfurt on Business Class.

Will not arrive at LHR until 16:05 and the VS arrivals lounge will be closed.

Can someone tell me how far the BA LHR lounge is that a business class flyer can use? And hopefully it is in the terminal that I would use to fly to Frankfurt? My flight choices leave at either 17:15 or 19:35. If the 17:15 time is not too close to make my connection, it's probably too tight to use the lounge though. Will a dinner be served on both of those flights?

Edited: From what I can tell from the Heathrow site, I will be arriving terminal 3 and leaving terminal 5. And they say 90 min min. transfer time, so I would have to take the later flight.

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. I've looked at the stickies and ran some searches, but my situation is a bit complicated. I don't have any BA status but have Priority Pass, Lounge Club and AE Plat.

Last edited by onebigworld; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
If you're flying Club Europe on BA then you will get lounge access. The Galleries North / South lounges are where you should head to in Terminal 5 after security. Just show your boarding pass at the entrance. It's a nice enough space to spend a few hours before your flight. Self service buffet and self service drinks (champagne is on request, though).

Once you get off at Terminal 3, follow the signs for flight connections and a bus will drop you at Terminal 5.

You'll get dinner on the flight to Frankfurt - I'll find the relevant thread.

Edit: here's the thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...de-2014-a.html - look at the dinner section. You get a small salad on the hop to FRA. Enjoy!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by onebigworld
From what I can tell from the Heathrow site, I will be arriving terminal 3 and leaving terminal 5. And they say 90 min min. transfer time, so I would have to take the later flight.
Definitely the later flight. If you were booking on the same PNR it wouldn't allow a 1 hour 10 min connection and if you booked separate tickets, it's doubtful whether you'd make the conformance cut-off of being at security screening at T5 35 minutes before departure and you would be denied boarding.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Is your VS flight and BA flight on one ticket or two?
If on one ticket (on the same booking reference), then you use the airside transfer and any checked bags will be labelled for Frankfurt.

If on two tickets (on different booking references), then you use the airside transfer only if you have not checked bags. If you do have checked bags, VS checked in will only label the bags for LHR. You will have to clear UK immigration, collect your bags, take the free train between T123 and T5 and recheck in at the BA at T5 before heading through security. This is going to take some time.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:15 am

I think it must be two bookings, since OP mentions using miles for the VS sector.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
Appreciate all the help. I haven't made this booking yet, but yes it would be miles for VS. I'm gone for 3 weeks, so will need to check a bag. So I gather there is no way to avoid that lengthy process KenJohn mentioned.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by onebigworld
Appreciate all the help. I haven't made this booking yet, but yes it would be miles for VS. I'm gone for 3 weeks, so will need to check a bag. So I gather there is no way to avoid that lengthy process KenJohn mentioned.
Sure there is ... you beg VS to through check your bag even if you are on two separate PNRs. It can be done, it's largely down to how charitable the VS check in staff are at LA. The last time I had to deal with VS was on an award rom JFK to LHR for family members, who were then connecting to a flight to Italy on BA a fair few hours later, bit like you will be. The JFK UC desk was happy to through check the bag even if the BA flight was on a separate PNR. SFO used to be a bit less charitable about this. Never flew VS out of LAX so can't tell you much about what they will say, but you should try and ask.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for that, MarkedMan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.