Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does higher status give a greater likelihood of being offered a POUG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club

Tha subject says it all:

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I doubt it. Some sectors get blocked off from POUG to prevent lost revenue, but that is status independent. From the airline's perspective this is not a reward thingy, it's a "get more cash" thingy.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think so. One thing I have noticed, but I will accept that this is anecdotal rather than statistically relevant data, is that when I buy Y or B fares on SH flights, I (almost) always get a POUG. This is regardless of when booked, or the current state of the CE cabin (unless it is rammed). I rarely take up the offer, since I usually make do with ET on routes less than 90 minutes. H fares are a little more variable, but K and M much less so.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Thanks. I am new to BA, currently being in the process of transfering my allegiance from another airline to BA and need to learn 'the system'.!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't think so. One thing I have noticed, but I will accept that this is anecdotal rather than statistically relevant data, is that when I buy Y or B fares on SH flights, I (almost) always get a POUG. This is regardless of when booked, or the current state of the CE cabin (unless it is rammed). I rarely take up the offer, since I usually make do with ET on routes less than 90 minutes. H fares are a little more variable, but K and M much less so.
It'd make sense to offer POUG to those that have booked the more expensive classes.

I wonder if they offer multiple levels of POUG on the same flight, depending on which booking class was originally booked.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:43 am

I don't think status makes much difference.

I say that as a gold who usually travels on discounted fares and almost never gets offered POUGs.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Paralytic
It'd make sense to offer POUG to those that have booked the more expensive classes.

I wonder if they offer multiple levels of POUG on the same flight, depending on which booking class was originally booked.
You've spent this much, so why not give us another £89 to ensure you haven't got a sweaty bloke immediately next to you. Indeed, the only reason you paid for a Y fare was you bought it 25 minutes ago and are stuck in 25B, so happy days!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I don't think status makes much difference.

I say that as a gold who usually travels on discounted fares and almost never gets offered POUGs.
In which case you're saying status both does and doesn't make a difference in the same post?!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
In which case you're saying status both does and doesn't make a difference in the same post?!
No, I'm saying that if status mattered, I'd expect to get offered POUGs as frequently as others report. Lots of people seem to expect to be offered them whereas I very rarely (less than 1 in 20, maybe less than 1 in 50?) do. So I don't think status matters.

Why the confusion?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:15 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
No, I'm saying that if status mattered, I'd expect to get offered POUGs as frequently as others report. Lots of people seem to expect to be offered them whereas I very rarely (less than 1 in 20, maybe less than 1 in 50?) do. So I don't think status matters.

Why the confusion?
It could be because in your scenario status matters in that higher status pax don't get offered POUGs whereas lower ones do. So the reverse of what we normally expect with status.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Why the confusion?
You're saying you believe golds get offered them less, therefore surely you believe states DOES affect the chances of getting offered a POUG??
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Ziz
It could be because in your scenario status matters in that higher status pax don't get offered POUGs whereas lower ones do. So the reverse of what we normally expect with status.
Fair enough. The OP was asking if higher status led to greater frequency of POUG offers though.

I suspect fare basis is more of a factor. I guess they may also penalise higher status pax but I don't think it's very likely.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
You're saying you believe golds get offered them less, therefore surely you believe states DOES affect the chances of getting offered a POUG??
No, I'm saying I get offered them much less than others report. I don't know why that is, but it seems unlikely to me that having higher status than many is increasing my chances as OP asks. Personally I don't think it reduces my chances - I think it's more likely to do with fares and booking classes, but that's just a guess.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: ABBA
POUG, what's that?

/me is from the regions, we don't get such delights
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Actually on short haul, the cheaper the ticket the more you are likely to be offered it (in very general terms); so if you buy a very cheap HBO paradoxically you increase your chances of a POUG. Not so sure about longhaul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.