Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios on Hilton booked through BA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I've been looking around and can't seem to find out exactly how many Avios I will receive for a hotel only booking.
I've booked a Hilton Garden Inn through the BA website and paid using my BA Amex PP. Hotel cost was roughly £600.

Do I just receive the 3 avios per £1 for BA spend on the Amex? Or do BA credit your BAEC with avios for the hotel booking? (For example if I had booked using another credit card.)

Also I cannot find a way to add my Hilton Honors number to the booking. Or if there is actually any benefit in doing so when not booking directly with Hilton.

I am aware that a £600 hotel booking isn't going to have me rolling in Avios, but I was just curious as to what I would receive and from where.

Thank you.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Spruce-Moose
Also I cannot find a way to add my Hilton Honors number to the booking. Or if there is actually any benefit in doing so when not booking directly with Hilton.
I always book directly with Hilton, so I'm unsure how/when Avios will be credit using your method, but have a look at: http://directconnect.hilton.com/dc/d...equestid=4983#

You can manage reservation details with Hilton there.

If that doesn't work, an email or call (or visit them on the stay!) to the front desk will yield results. It's a simple tap of a few buttons for the receptionist.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've been looking around and can't seem to find out exactly how many Avios I will receive for a hotel only booking.
I've booked a Hilton Garden Inn through the BA website and paid using my BA Amex PP. Hotel cost was roughly £600.

Do I just receive the 3 avios per £1 for BA spend on the Amex? Or do BA credit your BAEC with avios for the hotel booking? (For example if I had booked using another credit card.)

I am aware that a £600 hotel booking isn't going to have me rolling in Avios, but I was just curious as to what I would receive and from where.

Thank you.
I don't think you are guaranteed to get any HH elite benefits if you don't book through Hilton (it's up to the property iirc) but I'd certainly want the number in to count as a stay.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I don't think you are guaranteed to get any HH elite benefits if you don't book through Hilton (it's up to the property iirc) but I'd certainly want the number in to count as a stay.
I don't think you get HH stay credit either if it's a third-party booking (?)
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
It will not count as a stay (You won't see your figure go up to progress to Gold/Diamond etc). You must book directly via Hilton to do that.

I have found that I have a 100% success rate at getting other benefits though, such as Diamond lounge access, upgrades, free breakfast/water and so on, if I ask politely at the front desk or in an email a few days prior.

"I know that policy is X and this won't count as a stay but I wonder if you would be so kind as to agree to an upgrade/lounge blah blah blah

Looking forward to stay etc kind regards etc"
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by paul4040
It will not count as a stay (You won't see your figure go up to progress to Gold/Diamond etc). You must book directly via Hilton to do that.

I have found that I have a 100% success rate at getting other benefits though, such as Diamond lounge access, upgrades, free breakfast/water and so on, if I ask politely at the front desk or in an email a few days prior.

"I know that policy is X and this won't count as a stay but I wonder if you would be so kind as to agree to an upgrade/lounge blah blah blah

Looking forward to stay etc kind regards etc"
Glad that has actually been confirmed as the policy( It's what I thought was the policy). I've rarely booked Hilton stays using 3rd party sites but I have had 2 booked through AMEX that managed to get counted as stays so I've always wondered although was happy to have the error in my favour.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
FYI, I book Hilton through Egencia (Expedia Business) and I do get HH points, etc. for it.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Some business travel agents' stays do count but as a rule, it's safer to assume that agency bookings including via BA don't count.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.
Any ideas on the Avios? Would it just be the Amex spend or would I receive some from BA?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:33 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Thanks all.
Any ideas on the Avios? Would it just be the Amex spend or would I receive some from BA?
No I don't believe you'll earn avios through BA.com on just a hotel booking. You would if it was a package flight+hotel booking.

Why did you book it through BA.com? Was it cheaper than Hilton direct or other OTA's that offer cashback?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

BA was cheaper than the online TAs that I looked at. To be fair I neglected to look at hilton direct. Not to worry.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry

If you're booking next time direct through Hilton, there are a few handy discount codes floating around on the HHonors FT board (most notably the MVP discount and PR13CB), which give full points & double-dip avios for the stay. There are also some double/triple/even quadruple avios offers as Hilton promos (earned 1400 avios with a single night!)
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

Flight and hotel through BA.com definitely gets 3 avios on your plat Amex and another 2 for BA holidays booking credited a few weeks after the stay.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:06 pm

BA was cheaper than the online TAs that I looked at. To be fair I neglected to look at hilton direct. Not to worry.
Check out the HHonors forum on FT. PR11PN works very well in Europe, as does the Gold Medal Rate (look it up). I have often found they undercut OTAs.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly check the Hilton website next time I am planning on booking.
I had a look tonight out of curiosity and the price quoted was only a few pounds more than the BA quote. Had I of known I'd have paid the extra.
Strangely I booked the airport accommodation directly with the hotel, without giving it a second thought. No prizes for guessing which chain!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.