Search

A380 news and terminal moves.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

​British Airways has confirmed that by the end of October 2015 the airline will operate from two terminals at Heathrow.
The process for moving out of Terminal 1 has already started, with flights to Dublin and Belfast successfully moving to Terminal 5 on October 26. Over the next 12 months, flights to another 17 destinations will change terminals.

The airline has also announced that its Airbus A380 will fly to Miami from next October, with two daily flights to the Florida sunshine on board the superjumbo. The new A380 route is part of the airline’s plans to enhance the use of facilities in T3 and T5.

Lynne Embleton, Director of Strategy, said: “It is great news that we can now look forward to having flights from just two Heathrow terminals. This means that we can offer our customers, and those from our oneworld partners, smoother journeys, especially if they are connecting between flights.

“Being based in two terminals rather than three also means we can now use our short-haul aircraft in a more efficient way and improve the short-haul schedules we offer our customers.”

The complex process of arranging which flights will fly from which terminal has had to take into consideration the customer proposition, schedules, connections, stand availability, baggage capacity and reducing some of the peaks at Terminal 5.

To help prepare for greater numbers of long-haul customers in Terminal 3 and the introduction of A380 services for the first time, the airline is working with Heathrow Airport to invest in the check-in areas, baggage system, lounges, connections centre and façade.

Once the moves are complete, Terminal 5 will be home to just under 120 destinations and Terminal 3 will serve 21 British Airways destinations.

Customers are being informed of the changes and ba.com has also been updated to reflect the moves.

Timeline of terminal moves

October 26, 2014 – Dublin and Belfast flights relocated to Terminal 5 from Terminal 1. Barcelona flights moved into Terminal 3 from Terminal 5.

June 30, 2015 – Hanover, Luxembourg, Lyon, Marseille and Bilbao flights will move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3.

June 30, 2015 – Amman, Beirut, Baku and Cairo flights will move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5.

October 14, 2015 – Miami, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Cape Town, Accra and Nairobi flights will move from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Can I help you
June 30, 2015 – Hanover, Luxembourg, Lyon, Marseille and Bilbao flights will move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3.

June 30, 2015 – Amman, Beirut, Baku and Cairo flights will move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5.

October 14, 2015 – Miami, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Cape Town, Accra and Nairobi flights will move from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3.
Thank you for the news flash. Some good news in there, I can see some people around the southern bits of the Med who will be happy! And I'm very pleased about the European movements, less so about the longhauls. There are some meaty T5 to T3 moves there, so I do indeed hope they get some improvements to the T3 infrastructure in time for the change-over.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club

Funny how when it was a rumor plenty of people jumped in to explain how any move would not be logical. Just goes to show you, sometimes it's better to be silent.

Personally not a huge fan of T3 though use it when flying AA. I was pleasantly surprised with the connection experience from T5-T3. Not sure how to feel about Cape Town being moved there :-(

Question- will BA then move to have its own arrivals lounge given the considerate increase in long haul operations from T3?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Doesn't Vegas have a large proportion of connections as Europe-LAS is under served? Is T3 a good plan to undermine that?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Cairo flights will move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5.
Praise the Lord!

A dummy booking for LHR-CAI-LHR for flights after 30 June 2015 still displays the pop-up message - 'Selected flights depart from and arrive at Heathrow Terminal 1'

Last edited by Phil the Flyer; Nov 11, 2014 at 7:36 am Reason: Sort your IT out, BA!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by freshaz
Funny how when it was a rumor plenty of people jumped in to explain how any move would not be logical. Just goes to show you, sometimes it's better to be silent.
Quite. I only post rarely on here, but made a contribution in August about the terminal moves. My word, some of the smug responses I received
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Consolidating into two terminals is an excellent move.

What strikes me as interesting however is the long haul moves.

Some of the routes moving currently have Old F sold as CW and therefore are not top performing F routes, where F remains at least on some rotations.

Does that mean no CCR on these routes where they do have F? In other words, back to how it was when the Kangaroo route operated from T3 under the JSA.

On the other hand, the OP refers to the introduction of A380s to T3 and investment in lounges. Is T3 finally going to get a CCR to match the flagship plane?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent, none of my regular flights have moved to T3. Other than CPT and ACC it looks like they have dumped all the low yielding leisure routes into T3 and kept the important routes in T5.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
CCR2 maybe?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Oh dear! T3 beckons for my CPT flights as well as my BCN ones. Still, ORY/CDG will keep me in T5. For now.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold

It's a start! Still no reason to push when I get past 3000 each year, as there's no CCR.

All in all, I think generally bad news for serial MRers, as it basically removes an east coast gateway or removes your CCR access, depending on which you value more. Only really leaves IAD, JFK/EWR and BOS now.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
LAS is the main long haul that will effect me - much prefer T3 to T5 so quite happy.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
So MIA is going A380 for sure!
Hope they do some kind of CCR equivalent for T3 (sort of hinted at in the press release/ "invest in lounges")
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Well done Flyertalkers, I think much of this news had been predicted on here.

Regarding MIA and the A380, will the departure gates be in the D1/D2 area?

If so, that's a long trek from the OneWorld lounge. Or will there be new gates at the E-gates?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Is MIA going A380 or was that just a rumour?
Hope they do some kind of CCR equivalent for T3 (sort of hinted at in the press release/ "invest in lounges")
It does say so above, double daily.
I know nothing about the lounges but what I do know is there are plenty of improvements coming to the ground operation in T3, I cannot see that the lounges will be an exception.
This is not a short term fix and I think we will see a much larger longhaul operation from T3 in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.