Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABZ introducing drop off charges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Thumbs down ABZ introducing drop off charges

per this report http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news...rport-1.655285
Frequent BA flyers and other register displeasure at @abz_airport #ripoff
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Lots already have but the reply came back from the ABZ twitter lot that ABZ isn't the first airport to do it and it certainly won't be the last.

Minor inconvenience - yes. End of the world - no.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:32 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Heathrow Airport Holdings testing the water for something bigger, perhaps.

I hate airports that do this. It's unashamed money grabbing, pure and simple.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Perhaps whoever buys ABZ from HAH will reverse it?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Aha! This will be the new owners, the Ferrovial and Macquarie Group Consortium exclaiming, at ABZ we are a provincial facility and proud. Same goes for EDI.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to the club. LBA has had a charge for a few years now.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
I'm sorry. Are people seriously complaining about a Ł1 fee?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Given an inch and tomorrow it becomes a yard.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If wanting to avoid the fee simply drop the passenger off at the free drop off point.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
I'm sorry. Are people seriously complaining about a Ł1 fee?
It's not the amount it's the hassle factor. I know NCL has this but I've never dropped someone off so don't know how it works.

Do you need a pound coin? If they take cards is it a simple tap on a contactless reader on the barrier or do you need to use a chip & PIN pay station?

Whichever way you look at it it's a pain.

Just like rail station pay toilets. I'd have less against them if the London ones had Oyster readers on the barriers.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:34 pm

I guess it would weed out the cars that loiter around waiting to collect people at the drop off.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If wanting to avoid the fee simply drop the passenger off at the free drop off point.
Indeed, which has been taken care of…
“As part of this review, a free option is being made available within the Long Stay car park with a free rapid shuttle service taking customer directly to the main terminal entrance.“
But that’s really not the issue, is it? The issue is airport operators engineering revenue streams which rely on making the passenger experience as miserable as possible - forcing passengers to pay out in order to receive what they will currently tolerate for free. You may not be familiar with Aberdeenshire - it is very much a car orientated region with very few public transport alternatives.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Prospero
Indeed, which has been taken care of…
“As part of this review, a free option is being made available within the Long Stay car park with a free rapid shuttle service taking customer directly to the main terminal entrance.“
But that’s really not the issue, is it? The issue is airport operators engineering revenue streams which rely on making the passenger experience as miserable as possible - forcing passengers to pay out in order to receive what they will currently tolerate for free. You may not be familiar with Aberdeenshire - it is very much a car orientated region with very few public transport alternatives.
By shuttle I assume they mean bus, not driverless pods. Are these buses just the ones they use now for longhaul or do they have to put extra on to serve the anticipated increase in demand. It could end up eating into their extra profits.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by layz
By shuttle I assume they mean bus, not driverless pods. Are these buses just the ones they use now for longhaul or do they have to put extra on to serve the anticipated increase in demand. It could end up eating into their extra profits.
Bus or minibus I'd expect.

The route from the long stay car park isn't very pedestrian friendly but I suppose most motorists will attempt to drop off friends/family at the roundabout at Brent Road which is much closer.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 30, 2014 at 3:58 pm Reason: reduce image size
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
ABZ airport could be so much better. There isn't even a bus to Dyce station at the weekends and the Aberdeen to Inverness bus no longer stops, either, which is a real pain for those of us trying to head up to Morayshire.
I have no objection to airports charging a user fee, but these irritating additional fees...... (!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.