Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA airplane etiquette - having photos taken on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

Well I suppose we’ve all seen it at one time or another. You know, you’re sat down preparing for take off, the flight attendant walks by and then somebody springs up and asks if he or she can take a photo of them in their seat.

Having read a thread this morning about the JFK-LCY babybus I saw the following interesting comment from Banana4321.

Originally Posted by Banana4321
crew were asked to take pictures of a couple and a single traveller sitting in their seats - LCYCW has gone tourist...
Now, I’m sure that for the vast majority of business travellers find flying just a run of the mill process to get from home to that all important meeting on the other side of the world. But with business class and first class more accessible to everyone, whether it be through sale bookings or with the help of FT of course, many more leisure travellers are flying premium classes.

As we all know, most people like to record this moment of joy with a quick snap. What better way of showing friends and family how your experience was, than by posting a photo of yourself happily seated in the comfort of a premium seat with all the trappings of luxury travel (champagne, meal, amenity bag) clearly shown next to you. You only have to google ‘British Airways Club World‘ and you get an array such photos. Of course if you’re travelling alone, you really have no choice but to ask the cabin crew - as to ask another passenger is quite a cheek.

This leads me to the question of etiquette. Is it acceptable to have such photos taken?

Now, we all know that most BA cabin crew are great. I’m also sure that they get asked to take photos quite often and I imagine at times it can be a little annoying. In addition to that, I would imagine that it can also be a nuisance for the seasoned traveller who just wants to settle down.

As I shall travel First Class for the first time in April, I’d be most interested in your thoughts. All comments are most welcome.

Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
First World Problem.

This is not a problem at all providing that flashes are not used when people are trying to sleep. Anyone who thinks it is (IMO) needs to get over themselves and go private!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes of course it's acceptable.

Unless you are flying in a private jet a plane is PUBLIC transport so it is perfectly acceptable for people to take photos in whatever cabin they are flying in.

What is so wrong with someone wanting a memento of a special trip that they may have saved up their hard cash or avios for?

As long as it's not in the middle of a drinks run or meal service of course.

And as for the Baby Bus yes I did take a couple of pics of my meal and seat (none of me though but one of the crew did ask if I would like her to take one of me) but I wasn't the only one. A guy that had BA Gold tags on his hand luggage was doing the same.

As for your first F if you don't want to take any photos then don't take any and if you do then do but unless someone is taking a photo of you and you don't want them too you'll just have to live with it.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Oct 30, 2014 at 5:28 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As a general guide, whatever SFO777 does, do the exact opposite
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:25 am

Provided you don't photograph anyone else, I don't see an issue.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Terminalator
This.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
In my view it's perfectly acceptable. I am happy to volunteer to take photos for people too. I don't have a problem with it at all. I don't see what the fuss is about.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
What would be the problem if someone did? I couldn't give a stuff if I happened to be in a picture that someone took, wouldn't even care if it was published on social or national media either.

Throughout a year ALL of us must at some point appear inadvertently in other people's photographs, particularly with the use of cameras in phones. So if you are out in public there are people taking selfies with others in the background, much more so whenever at concerts, any tourist attraction and sporting event etc or on holiday.

Surely people are not so up themselves and full of their own self-importance to object in any way? Surely not?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
And not use the flash after the light has been dimmed.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I would be too embarrassed to ask. I believe my BAEC Status and CIV could be downgraded to even lower than they already are.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Was this bad then? I took this picture of someone reading the Joey Essex (ask someone <30) book, who obviously wanted to be Joey Essex, for my daughter, who wanted to share it with her friends.

I thought I'd better blur his face when posting it here. Its an improvement.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:08 am

I can't see this is a problem providing common courtesies are observed.

On boarding a recent CX flight and finding myself in F rather than J, my grin must have been obvious as the very nice CC asked if I would like a photo in the seat.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by BOH
What would be the problem if someone did? I couldn't give a stuff if I happened to be in a picture that someone took, wouldn't even care if it was published on social or national media either.
What I got from Terminalator's post was more taking photos of someone else rather than photos with someone else in them. The latter I'm sure everyone outside of a witness protection scheme is fine with; the former is weird whether you're on a plane or not
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
There were quite of few people wanting their pic taken against the BA speedmarque on the A380.

VS now have a selfie area on their 787 so you can check in and upload a pic whilst in the air using the wifi, for free.

On my first BA1 flight, I took a pic of the seat and a crew member offered to take my pic, but I was too embarrassed to say yes.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I can't see this is a problem providing common courtesies are observed.

On boarding a recent CX flight and finding myself in F rather than J, my grin must have been obvious as the very nice CC asked if I would like a photo in the seat.
Ha ha, CX crew in F offered to do that too when I decided that the food presentation was so nice (almost artistic) that I decided to capture it on the camera. I thanked her and laughed that it was the food I wanted to capture because it was so pretty, not myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.