Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which compensation when baggage delayed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Which compensation when baggage delayed?

Hi all!
Arriving in JNB BA baggage service told me that they delayed my suitcase. That was one suitcase for me and my wife. It was registered to my name. I was given 150£ debit card, but they refused to give the same to my wife (because she didn't have any registered bags).
Were they correct or not?
If it's important the tickets were bought for avios + 2-4-1.
Finally they delivered it in 46 hours only.
Both of us are Gold members in BAEC.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The card isn't compensation, but really to cover interim expenses without either BA or you having to go back and forth about receipts for minor purchases. If you are out more than GBP 150, you can try submitting that excess with receipts and you might get some token.

But, practically speaking, one delayed bag is one delayed bag whether it contains items for one or 10 people.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
How can your wife be compensated for a delayed bag if she didn't have any bags to be delayed?

If you had two bags in your name and they were delayed you don't get 2 payments.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Sounds very strange and a little bit ridiculous. I thought that they should count people but not baggage items...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by x-man
Sounds very strange and a little bit ridiculous. I thought that they should count people but not baggage items...
Why? Maybe passenger #2 travels with hand baggage only. It seems perfectly reasonable that only passengers whose name is on the delayed luggage should need financial recompense for any inconvenience.

It's certainly a good reason to always travel with a bag for each person though, with both person's items split between the two in case only one goes missing. And also a good reason not to just say "I can check-in three bags so I'll just check in my wife's and the kids bags under my name".
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Surely Amex insurance is worth more than that for a 46hr bag delay?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by oyster
Surely Amex insurance is worth more than that for a 46hr bag delay?
Amex Plat (UK): Up to £300 for essential items (with receipts) per person when Your (Amex's bolding, so I would assume that this would not cover a second person's stuff in the same case either) checked-in baggage has not arrived after four hours. Up to another £300 after 48 hours.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
The €150 card was to get you out of trouble, You also have £1000 to spend on what you class as essentials and receipts need to be sent to BA for these. Anything over this needs to be claimed from your travel insurance company.

It will only apply to one of you as you had the bag in your name. Any other way is open to abuse. Dear BA my wife and 4 kids all had their stuff in my bag etc....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.