Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA versus Virgin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by iceandaslicegandt
All those companies were the bad days of Britain providing awful service. BA as a newly privatised company was a leader in its field providing great new products and service..It made huge profits by doing that and should return to those days..understanding that the market has changed but I will now book Virgin rather than BA when I can..
That is fine and dandy providing you are travelling to the (increasing reduced) places served by VS.

BTW, BA seems to be making a considerably greater fist of making a profit than VS, and without being bailed out by one of the US majors, so the business model must be doing ok.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA might just as well throw in the towel. According to Flyertalkers they're crap in all departments.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
BA seems to be making a considerably greater fist of making a profit than VS (...) so the business model must be doing ok.
"Pax experience down, profits up", to paraphrase that line of thought?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:32 pm

without being bailed out by one of the US majors, so the business model must be doing ok.
Who in turn had been bailed out by US chapter 11. The airline landscape today would look VERY different had that not existed.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Greenpen says I've never flown with either.

Flew VS last week and BA in J in March and BA in First last year. Also had a BA Gold card...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:06 pm

BA versus Virgin

Don't forget a separate wc for that cabin on Virgin. I was very disappointed with BA in WTP. Food after my meal sat in front of me for an hour after I finished.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
It's interesting reading this as a passenger who moved away from VS to BA, I always thought that VS were ahead in W against BA and other postings and reviews underlined that impression. However VS have considerably enhanced away their lead on BA. That glass of sparkling wine, used to be same fizz as J. Main meal size reduced, Liquor service no more, fresh fruit bowl in galley no more, Hagen Darz ice cream no more mid west bound flight, afternoon tea service decimated. East bound no seperate drinks and meal service. Oh and wine from the bottle, and then placed in galley to help yourself no it's Y miniatures now. The dedicated upper deck for W on LGW 747, no enhanced away. Dedicated crew for W, no enhanced away. Whereas BA, pre take off drink – added, hot bread service – added, Club World meal – added, new seat – added on new aircraft. Lastly let’s not forget the totally useless VS FQTV scheme, I have been silver ever since I stopped flying VS, Silver’s with lounge access beat’s a hot breakfast any day.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Only one problem with all this BA vs VS comparison......VS's incredibly shrinking route network. Before long you won't be able to fly on VS to anywhere bar the USA or wherever Delta demands that it's subsidiary (sorry partner) flies to.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I think this thread would have two or three posts if people read it first instead of regurgitating other posts.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Sadly all the signs currently point to VS becoming consumed entirely by Delta within a few years. I do like an underdog.

VS UC is absolutely brilliant, until you get to your seat. The hard product is just leagues behind the competition in 2014.

VS PE is better than BA WT+, but unfortunately the shrinking operation and lack of membership of a proper alliance mean that it's a write off for me, if I was choosing a PE flight.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
Also for me (infrequent flyer from the regions) the main advantage for me with BA is that I can connect in LHR (more problematic for LGW) without having to pick up luggage or changing terminals. I have flown UC on VS - the timing for the destination has always meant that an overnight stay in LHR, adding cost and time to the trip.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by iceandaslicegandt
BA as a newly privatised company was a leader in its field providing great new products and service..It made huge profits by doing that and should return to those days.
Clearly, you don't understand how the market has changed, because that is no longer the way in which a UK-based airline can make huge profits.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by pappap647
Don't forget a separate wc for that cabin on Virgin. I was very disappointed with BA in WTP. Food after my meal sat in front of me for an hour after I finished.
Which as with BA depends on the aircraft type, you don't on a VS A340 for instance

Like the OP, if you travel WTP a lot, on different aircraft, you will notice the differences on board (with the new seat anyway) are pretty much non existent, certainly no real reason to choose one carrier over the other ignoring all other factors

Sometimes you have to wait a while for tray removal, sometimes you don't, dependent on crew and load mainly, this is a factor with any Avon on any airline

As I mentioned above the main beneficial VS differtiators, for me anyway, are the separate check in and priority boarding. The fact that BA often boards WTP last is infuriating

The main BA ones are the frequency, network and BAEC, on board its a wash, supposedly better, BA Business Class food or not
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:55 am

Another difference is when routes get 'enhanced away'. VS seem to honour redemption bookings (Redemption flights to Tokyo after January rebooked on other airlines without a quibble) , BA doing anything they can to get out of redemption bookings to routes that have been axed.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
BTW, BA seems to be making a considerably greater fist of making a profit than VS, and without being bailed out by one of the US majors, so the business model must be doing ok.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
"Pax experience down, profits up", to paraphrase that line of thought?
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Clearly, you don't understand how the market has changed, because that is no longer the way in which a UK-based airline can make huge profits.

I think a lot of the angst in these arguments (and most others on the subject) is the result of confusion between what is best for the business versus what is best for the customer,

No-one would argue that the dumbing down and cost slashing of the BA product isn't great for the business balance sheet but results in a worse experience for the end user.

It's the business' job to get the balance right and whether it does or not is subjective for each customer.

Some go bonkers about what label is on their alcohol while others fume if a curtain isn't pulled whilst the real money is being grabbed by increased stealth charges and holding fares steady whilst denigrating the product.

it's just a question of where your personal line in the sand is.

Last edited by Lioneye; Oct 22, 2014 at 4:48 am Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.