Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC check-in/fast track security perks when travelling with non-status companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC check-in/fast track security perks when travelling with non-status companion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I normally do most of my travelling solo, though at the beginning of November, I have a LHR-LAX trip with my brother. I'm BA Gold, he has no status, and I bought both tickets in the same booking.

I know I am allowed to use the business/first check-in desks, and the fast track security lanes. In this situation, will my brother also be allowed to use both of these with me, or will he have to go to a regular check-in desk/security queue? We're arriving at LHR at the same time (we're travelling economy, and yes, I'm already regretting it)

Specifically with the south security lanes at LHR, will the boarding card-reading machines let my brother through into the fast track lane? Or is the trick to just duck under the tensa barrier and ignore staff?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes - I frequently do this with the statusless Mrs Lem
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
No problem at all although you have to go to the manned gate to Fast Track Security as the self scanner system will not realise your brother is your guest.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by johnaalex
No problem at all although you have to go to the manned gate to Fast Track Security as the self scanner system will not realise your brother is your guest.
Never had a problem there - has always opened for Mrs Lem
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks everyone
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:08 am

I don't understand how the automatic gates work in this respect. I've been through several times with the lowly-blue Mr W without problems. We don't always follow each other through the same gate, nor do we go through different gates at the same time. Haven't done it for a few months now, so things could have changed, but I can only assume the gates aren't (weren't?) smart enough (or set up) to know who's entitled to Fast Track.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:12 am

BA Silver and Gold cardholders can take 1 guest through fast track. And it's fine to use the gates at security.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Are you both travelling in the same Cabin? I had an issue with a friend of mine when boarding in BCN. I checked at the desk and indeed only I was allowed to board Fast Track as I am Silver (travelling in Y). He had to join the normal queue. Seems they allow you to Fast Track a guest at security, bring them into the lounge, then wave bye bye at the gate. It's a scrum anyway.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
...I can only assume the gates aren't (weren't?) smart enough (or set up) to know who's entitled to Fast Track.
c-w-s said a few weeks/months ago that gates have now been programmed to recognised status and shoo away those who are trying to sneak in without being entitled to do so. When guesting someone, it is suggested to use the manned station. For the avoidance of inconvenience of others in case things don't work at the gates, if nothing else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.