Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone app feature - beta test

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
^

Agreed... There is no way that windows phone has 1/3rd of the market share that iOS has. I think 1/100th of Apple's share would be a generous estimate, and 10 is closer to reality than 10%...
Kantar Comtech is the most respected analyst of smartphone usage to provide open source data. Their July 2014 report on UK market share can be viewed here - http://uk.kantar.com/tech/mobile/kan...-market-share/
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Tallwills
Kantar Comtech is the most respected analyst of smartphone usage to provide open source data. Their July 2014 report on UK market share can be viewed here - http://uk.kantar.com/tech/mobile/kan...-market-share/
Does Kantar monitor the hits to Bing in the sites it tracks or does it just track apps?

If it happens to monitor bing it could skew the results. One of the most annoying things on Windows Phones that I tried is the 'search' button is to easy to hit accidentally and opens up bing all the time rather than being context sensitive.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by layz
Does Kantar monitor the hits to Bing in the sites it tracks or does it just track apps?

If it happens to monitor bing it could skew the results. One of the most annoying things on Windows Phones that I tried is the 'search' button is to easy to hit accidentally and opens up bing all the time rather than being context sensitive.
Kantar's marketshare data is consistent with industry sales analysis.

It's a measure of the success of Apple's branding and communications strategy that iPhone fanboyz and girlz are usually in shock / denial when shown the 60/30/10 share of Android, iOS and Windows in the UK and EU5. Apple has been very successful in selling at a premium price, their good, though not exceptional phones. Smartphones are now becoming commodities and the smartphone market is growing through sales to more price conscious customers. Apple has chosen to ignore these consumers.

I sound like a Windows fanboy, but actually use a Blackberry, i5s & Nokia 1020 depending on need. Increasingly though, I take my 1020 when travelling for its camera, sat nav and robustness, hence my annoyance at the failure of BA to update their Windowsphone app.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:17 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Hi all,

The beta test is now full.

Thank you to everyone who has offered to help. If you sent a Private Message asking to join the beta you will receive an email today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help testing this new feature.

Warm regards

Nick
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Received my email this morning inviting me to take part in the beta test.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: DL DM
New iPhone app feature - beta test

Received my mail - thanks
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:16 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Got mine as well thanks ^
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:47 am

Just got my email invite
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a measure of the success of Apple's branding and communications strategy that iPhone fanboyz and girlz are usually in shock / denial when shown the 60/30/10 share of Android, iOS and Windows in the UK and EU5.
10% is still not very good because that includes most recently released Nokia phones (including all their flagship phones), Nokia was number one in the EU for so long, that they've slipped so far is very poor. The higher figures in the EU count for the traditional strength of Nokia there. People familiar with the brand used to buy it automatically when their contract was due for renewal.

Places where Nokia was weak (e.g. the US) Windows phones have failed to take hold.

I'd still question the 10% as Nokia phones are quite distinctive and I rarely see them in the wild. I still see more BlackBerry's.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It would be interesting to understand if the app will deploy gate information when BA know it or in line with when BAA want us to have it. My biggest frustration is very late information on gate which a message to iphone at the same late time as everyone else does little to address.
Further to this, it would be good if alerts could be timed to be delivered in such a way as to prevent CW/F passengers scrumaging at the gate with the rest of the aircraft.

VS continually call passengers from the club house when the Y/PE queue is diminished, so you often walk straight on board.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by layz
10% is still not very good because that includes most recently released Nokia phones (including all their flagship phones), Nokia was number one in the EU for so long, that they've slipped so far is very poor. The higher figures in the EU count for the traditional strength of Nokia there. People familiar with the brand used to buy it automatically when their contract was due for renewal.

Places where Nokia was weak (e.g. the US) Windows phones have failed to take hold.

I'd still question the 10% as Nokia phones are quite distinctive and I rarely see them in the wild. I still see more BlackBerry's.
Tech journalists are notoriously partisan on phone OS matters. I'm sure you can find market share discussions on the internet that better suit your views... If you can access the internet from your new, bendy iPhone6, with the cracked screen and iOS8 connection problems.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tech journalists are notoriously partisan on phone OS matters. I'm sure you can find market share discussions on the internet that better suit your views... If you can access the internet from your new, bendy iPhone6, with the cracked screen and iOS8 connection problems.
Now if the iPhone 6 was as bad as you believe it is I always have my favourite Android phone, the Nexus 5, to fall back on, or even my iPhone 5S.

I have to work with both iOS and Android (and occasionally other platforms, hence I know about that annoying bing button) and I'm happy with either platform, but I prefer the experience of a pure Android phone like a Nexus as Samsung and others try to enhance the OS in their own ways.

Windows Phone has its charms as well, but it was too little, too late. Ballmer should have started creating an alternative to that dreadful desktop on a phone Windows Mobile long back. But MS and BlackBerry were too complacent.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Lightbulb

Suggest we keep this thread restricted to the administration of the beta testing, and direct the more general discussion about BA's apps to the main app thread :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ed-21-may.html
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hi,

I just received the email to download the beta App.
However, I get a generic error message and the app does not download on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.2).

Please let me know if this is a common issue.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:35 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Hi,

I just received the email to download the beta App.
However, I get a generic error message and the app does not download on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.2).

Please let me know if this is a common issue.
Likewise - but installed fine on mine (iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2 too)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.