Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to free seat selection for Silvers (at least) coming soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free seat selection for Silvers (at least) coming soon?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IMH
So do many more of us. But at this stage we should bear in mind that this is very possibly just one call centre employee saying something silly instead of simply admitting that they don't know what's going on.

It would be good to add a question mark or "rumour" to the thread title.
Good idea - I have updated the title
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:34 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
If it does turn out to be the case, it'll be bad news with the 29" seat pitch coming in ET on the A319s.

I will also say I expect that this will happen.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
One data point. When booking as a gold, it is also asking to pay for seats at the time of booking, but free when selecting the same seat after the flight has been booked.

I suspect this is a misunderstanding that has started a rumour.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Paralytic
One data point. When booking as a gold, it is also asking to pay for seats at the time of booking, but free when selecting the same seat after the flight has been booked.

I suspect this is a misunderstanding that has started a rumour.
But it might be reasonable to suspect that the "seat selection" area of the site is being tinkered with in some way by someone - otherwsie why would there be glitches?

(I am totally ignorant about websites and code etc!)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jhempy
So here we are!
Now we have to pay for dirty seat on a dirty plane!
When will we be charged for drinks in the lounge?
Good to have CX, QR and MH.^
Let's not get carried away. What may have started out as just a misunderstanding or the over imaginative mind of a telephone agent first became a rumour and then, in just 14 posts, a fact.

Edit: 19 posts by the time I'd finished typing two lines, which will be >100 by the morning, possibly getting worked up over nothing. Just imagine what will happen if it turns out to be true .

Last edited by SteveF; Sep 22, 2014 at 2:44 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040
But it might be reasonable to suspect that the "seat selection" area of the site is being tinkered with in some way by someone - otherwsie why would there be glitches?

Given how flaky the site is at the best of times, I don't think they'd be tinkering with it unless they had a pressing reason for doing so (bug fixes not being included in the list of pressing reasons).

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Having recently had one of my best business class experiences on my first trans atlantic with Delta, taking away silver benefits would persuade me to shop elsewhere. Being left with middle seats in CW would make me go to some effort to avoid BA.
On short haul, with the reduction in seat pitch if I cannot choose exit seats for free why pay more to go with BA when you get a similar product as an LCC? This weekend I went to OSL and having used Norwegian before they would become a better option for my regular trips. LGW is just as easy for me after work and the only price to pay is the loss of lounge, which will be more than made up for by the lower cost.
If this happens it will seriously drive away customers who BA should be trying get more out of.
Some of the recent changes really do baffle me!!

Last edited by BerksFlyer; Sep 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040

We've all experienced BA's lack of rigorous change management to its website, so you could well be right. This really would be a horrible change.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I suppose one question is if they remove free seat selection for silver then what happens to seat selection for bronze at T-7d? That is pretty much the only benefit of bronze that is worth anything. Personally I change most of my domestic reservations at T-72h to move to front row and almost always have a decent choice so in that sense bronze=silver on domestics and probably ET would be too. As to 747 UD, I would think that is a real blow for silvers to lose, but then the clear gold water at the moment consists of basically nothing except galleries F (speaking as someone who will be gold in the near future).

My gut feeling is that if call centre workers had really been told this for sure then it would be leaking from multiple sources already. Do I remember correctly that the silver line is not actually a dedicated line and so they could be confused with other changes for other tiers? Don't know, wishful thinking perhaps.

Judgement reserved.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:45 pm

Unless I've missed an email/brief somewhere along the line I've not been made aware of it.

[views are my own and do not represent British Airways]
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I suppose one question is if they remove free seat selection for silver then what happens to seat selection for bronze at T-7d? That is pretty much the only benefit of bronze that is worth anything.
This is what I was thinking.

I usually travel in CW so the 7 day seat selection is about the only benefit I get since I get lounge/fast track/priority boarding etc with the ticket.

If this is taken away, then it doesn't make any difference if I'm Blue or not even a member at all.

Heck, I even got free seat selection when I booked a DXB>DOH flight with QR and I have zero status with them.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:38 pm

I havent heard any mention of this. I would have been bery surprised if executive club in manchester had been given communication via email/brief that newcastle hadnt. Im saying this because an earlier comment referred to an exec club BA agent mentioning these changes.

******* all views expressed are my own amd do not represent those of either BA or IAG********
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Watching with interest ... Silver seat selection on booking is my primary reason for wanting to retain Silver, as a modest leisure flyer.

Remove that, and to a large extent my BA loyalty goes out of the window.

(removes dust and cobwebs from VS Red Card)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the official account would comment and pour some cold water on these rumours?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
Watching with interest ... Silver seat selection on booking is my primary reason for wanting to retain Silver, as a modest leisure flyer.

Remove that, and to a large extent my BA loyalty goes out of the window.
Have hotline staffers ever been the first to know of a change like this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.