Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Card expiry - booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Exclamation Card expiry - booking

The debit card I used to pay for my trip next month has expired, will I have any problems checking in or BA asking for the payment card? - The new card still has the same account number and sort code. Should I still hold on to the old card?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
You should be ok.

My debit card used for my flight in November will have expired but I do tend to check in online.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by icegirl
The debit card I used to pay for my trip next month has expired, will I have any problems checking in or BA asking for the payment card? - The new card still has the same account number and sort code. Should I still hold on to the old card?
I was in a similar position a few years ago, only I'd cancelled mine as I suspected it had been cloned.

I was unable to check in on line or at the self service kiosks. A visit to a check in desk had it all solved after I presented the replacement card.

EDIT: Wouldn't do any harm keeping the old one, though I suspect it will all be ok.

Last edited by vibrex; Sep 22, 2014 at 8:57 am Reason: Addition
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The long number on the card needs to be the same. On a debit card, this may have no bearing to the sort code or account number.

If it is different, then just keep the expired card until check-in. I do that with all my credit cards as well, even cancelled one. They need to swipe the card with the same long number on the system. It does not connect the bank in any way.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!

Originally Posted by KenJohn
The long number on the card needs to be the same. On a debit card, this may have no bearing to the sort code or account number.

If it is different, then just keep the expired card until check-in. I do that with all my credit cards as well, even cancelled one. They need to swipe the card with the same long number on the system. It does not connect the bank in any way.
The long number on my debit card is different (the last 2 digits). The bank are telling me to use the new card straightaway and dispose of the old card.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:53 am

As others have said keep hold of it and then dispose of it when you have taken your flight.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks

I can't believe how BA can't include simple piece of information or guidance for this issue on their website or process to deal with this sort of thing.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:21 am

Unfortunately icegirl that would be the sensible thing to do so dont expect it to happen any time soon!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by icegirl
The long number on my debit card is different (the last 2 digits).
The long number on credit card tend to stay the same on expiry. It only changes if a new card is issued as replacement for lost cards or where there has been fradulent use. Although the expiry date is different, BA systems appear just to accept the long number as the proof you made the original booking.

There is more of a hassle with debit cards with the long number changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.