Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC members living in the regions and different FF programmes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC members living in the regions and different FF programmes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Interesting to look at this thread again a few years later. I stuck with BA to retain status for lounges and fastrack on domestics which I would have lost had I switched alliance.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
For me, the changes only cemented that BA is really only interested in the LON market and creating more benefits for those down there.

Avios RFS for those in the regions are unfortunately poor value. From Poland (or obviously any place in that zone). WAW-Domestic is 24,000 Avios plus £70 or in business its a whopping 48,000 and £83.11. Now bare in mind IB will fly you MAD-ORD off peak for 60-odd in business. These are huge amounts and bare in mind how little the low to mid economy fares now bring in Avios wise and in my opinion CE is a bit crap.

Three of my closest friends were all had the Amex card but could not see the point of collecting Avios which had frankly become worthless for their personal situations. Instead of getting you a flight (except LON) it is about a discount on a fare that 9/10 times is cheaper and quicker with a LCC. All it does show is that BA is heading with great speed to a programme where Avios have a fixed value and its basically a cashback system like SN's LOOP!. Its a two speed FFP but the oversight is to address the middle ground of those who are not booking on price alone but do not have the access to route deals and fully flex fares.
So which programme are you recommending instead?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by florens
It's still much cheaper than LH M&M shorthaul redemptions (for example) IMHO. I find Avios RFS great value, especially on short notice because BA shorthaul ET fares can be really, really expensive.
All programmes have their sweet spots.

Avios can be great value for travellers focussed on Heathrow, but redemptions became much less attractive for non-LHR/LGW users when domestic transfers had to be paid for (in miles and £).

From, say, Manchester, Miles and More offers tremendous short notice "saver" deals. And with travel via three or four European hubs (plus Brussels ), there's usually pretty good availability.

Truth is it's sensible to have eggs in a couple of baskets if your travel patterns allow.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
From, say, Manchester, Miles and More offers tremendous short notice "saver" deals. And with travel via three or four European hubs (plus Brussels ), there's usually pretty good availability.

Truth is it's sensible to have eggs in a couple of baskets if your travel patterns allow.
That is one difference I've noticed between BA and AF-KLM / Lufthansa. I get targeted emails from both of these alliances with specific NCL/EDI/GLA fares. Some of the Air France ones are quite eye catching, even if they seem a little keen for me to go to Abidjan. And in economy (£395 return). Whereas BA's offers are more broad brush, marketing general fare sales and hotel link-ups, and not being particularly NCL specific.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is one difference I've noticed between BA and AF-KLM / Lufthansa. I get targeted emails from both of these alliances with specific NCL/EDI/GLA fares. Some of the Air France ones are quite eye catching, even if they seem a little keen for me to go to Abidjan. And in economy (£395 return). Whereas BA's offers are more broad brush, marketing general fare sales and hotel link-ups, and not being particularly NCL specific.
I've noticed this targeting from regional airports by KLM/AF as well, and always bought it a bit odd that BA doesn't do it. I'm guessing their IT infrastructure isn't set up to do it, but it shouldn't be that tricky to set up.

I bought a FlyBe ticket GLA-BRR return a few months back, and despite it only being my second ever FlyBe trip (and first from GLA) I've had a whole flurry of emails offering me trips abroad originating in GLA... so I guess it can be too keen sometimes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.