Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you feel about mid flight upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Originally Posted by cheryltheperil
On a recent flight to Brazil, my husband came back from the bathroom to find somebody asleep in his bed
That might be taking the inflight upgrades a bit far!! What was the story behind it?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
I should confess. Last night I remembered an inflight upgrade I got because I knew one of the crew (not BA). I didn't turn it down either!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a recent flight to Brazil, my husband came back from the bathroom to find somebody asleep in his bed
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
It wasn't you was it?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ellie_nz
That might be taking the inflight upgrades a bit far!! What was the story behind it?
It was the guy from a couple of seats behind him who'd also gone to the bathroom, saw the empty bed and just got into it and promptly fell asleep.

He was absolutely mortified when alerted to his error. Probably not helped by me calling him Goldilocks
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
I would find it very annoying if I was relaxed halfway through a flight, perhaps with paperwork on an empty chair, to have so own move into it. Had this in Y on QR a couple of weeks ago, albeit just before landing. Someone running late for a connection was moved up from the back to an empty seat next to me nearer the front.

However I believe that WTP to CW upgrades are not only wholly appropriate, they should be mandatory for all GGLs in WTP.
really? Why?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by m3red
really? Why?
So they can make room for Goldies stuck in Y.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Stez
I believe that a goldie in y should get a mandatory seat swap with a bronze in j
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Stez
I'm sure golds in y are used to y by now!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: BA GGL
On my recent trip back from HKG in y, I saw a lady get moved because the passenger next to her was extremely drunk – swearing, throwing stuff all over the place (the amenity kit, bits of the meal service he didn’t want etc). It was the A380 upper deck, the exit row right at the back which is around row 80 or so, and at this point they are 2 by 2 on the window side. The lady was at the window, this guy was in the aisle seat, and about 2 hours in she got moved. I have no idea whether she moved cabin, or moved to simply another Y seat (albeit she had been in a good one with legroom), but frankly sitting on the floor the rest of the flight would have been an “upgrade” at this point.

I was next seat along, but separated by the aisle, and therefore not so lucky. My sleep went out of the window due to the frequent sweary outbursts (not helped by this guy wearing noise-cancelling headphones so likely, even though drunk, to have been completely unware of the noise he was making). The CC stopped serving him, obviously, but the majority of the damage had probably been done prior to departure. One of them asked him to clear up all the stuff he had thrown around the place, as obviously this was in the emergency exit area, which he refused as he said he was the customer, and customers did not pick stuff up. The CSD then came and had a similar conversation, invoking the Captain’s authority, to which this guy also refused. Shortly after this he then passed out and enjoyed the kind of trans-continental sleep I had been dreaming of. I was quite unable to sleep by this point, and I did not see a member of the CC approach him again for the entire flight, and the rubbish remained scattered all over the floor, and into the vacated seat. When he came to an hour or so before the flight came into land, he had sobered up, and did then clear everything up, but I did not see any apology. He looked fresh as a daisy, whereas I looked wrecked – and had an onward connection to JFK and Cleveland! (flying east would have been better, but had to meet family in London). I have no idea what happened after this, I saw no Police as I left the plane or anything like that. Could he have got himself on a banned list perhaps? I thought about complaining to BA, but what’s the point? It wasn’t their fault that they had an idiot on board, and they clearly could not move everyone in that small section of the cabin. Ultimately the CC ensured that there was no escalation or fracas, and whilst my journey and that of a few others was rather miserable, we all got there without incident. Sitting virtually next to him, all I can say was that despite the aisle, and in-flight upgrade (to anywhere!) would have been very much appreciated!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snuffi
Sitting virtually next to him, all I can say was that despite the aisle, and in-flight upgrade (to anywhere!) would have been very much appreciated!
Sounds bloody awful. Some people really have no respect.

Did you bring your complaint to the attention of the Cabin Services Manager/Director?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
I'm strongly against upgrades is general. If someone has bought an upgrade I don't mind, if they have a serious problem so have been moved as compensation I don't mind, if there's an overbooking I don't mind either but any other upgrades I'm against. It's not fair for those who have paid a premium.

I was flying back in CE a few years ago. Not many people were on the flight and the cabin crew allowed them all to pile into CE even though they did not book CE.

Another time I was in F and for some reason a husband was in F but his wife was in Y. Following a loud word with the CSD and the typical "Do you know who I am" boast his wife was allowed to join him in F on the only available seat.

I was in J one flight and a CSD upgraded her friends from Y. Her actions and behavior clearly showed they were personal friends (not to mention her saying "I shouldn't really be doing this") It was a night flight too, I was asleep and the sound they made when being upgraded and lugging their bags from Y was incredible. It drowned out the sound of the engines. (This wasn't with BA but it still annoyed me)

Last edited by WeAreFlyingHigh; Sep 5, 2014 at 6:02 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
I was in J one flight and a CSD upgraded her friends from Y. Her actions and behavior clearly showed they were personal friends (not to mention her saying "I shouldn't really be doing this") It was a night flight too, I was asleep and the sound they made when being upgraded and lugging their bags from Y was incredible. It drowned out the sound of the engines. (This wasn't with BA but it still annoyed me)
You should have taken her name, reported her to the airline and demanded your money back, if this was a crew member making your flight miserable. They can't be responsible for the customers but they can be responsible for their friends or themselves.

I'm all for upgrades, having had plenty myself. It's the frequent flyers, those who give the airline a lot of money who get them usually. It's also the people who pay the most for their tickets who usually get the upgrade, so why shouldn't someone in J, for example, who's paid more than someone in F, get an upgrade?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
Originally Posted by ppp909
You should have taken her name, reported her to the airline and demanded your money back, if this was a crew member making your flight miserable. They can't be responsible for the customers but they can be responsible for their friends or themselves.

I'm all for upgrades, having had plenty myself. It's the frequent flyers, those who give the airline a lot of money who get them usually. It's also the people who pay the most for their tickets who usually get the upgrade, so why shouldn't someone in J, for example, who's paid more than someone in F, get an upgrade?
I did actually note her name but apart from her fussing over friends she had upgraded, she was an excellent CSD and her entire team worked their socks of for what was probably some of the best service I've ever received. I feel guilty for reporting her when it was only that one things she did which peed me off.

That's an interesting point but I look at it like this. When you booked a ticket you had a choice for a paid upgrade but you refused to take it. If reduced first was cheaper than full club why not take the reduced first? Rarely do you see reduced first but full club being sold on the same flight at the same time. Reduced all classes are usually in sync when sold. If you booked at different times indeed creating a situation where J was dearer than I, that's tough luck. If BA upgrade people for that why not upgrade WT people who didn't have a discounted fare? It's airline pricing for you. You take the plunge and hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.