Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buying non-£ tickets with BA Premium Plus Amex - Raffles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

All,

I apologise if this has been asked/debated before, but do people think it is worth buying non-£ tickets with your Premium Plus Amex?

By way of example, I have just bought 2x ex-EU (Oslo to Sydney) tickets in Club (going via HongKong and switching to Cathay for the HKG-SYD-HKG legs). The total cost with the BA shareholder discount came to 40,166 NOK (£3,930 or £1,965 pp) - a bargain, I thought.

I paid with my BA Amex thinking that i would like the 12k avios (£4k x 3). The fx fees amounted to £118. My alternative would have been to pay using a Santander Card i have which has no fx charges but obviously no avios.

Presumably, then the question is whether 1) i want to buy avios per se and 2) whether £118 for 12k is good value?

1) i must answer myself but can anyone help me with 2)?

If the answer to 1) is no, then perhaps the next best solution is to get one of these cards with no fx fees? A good idea perhaps for regular high-spend Ex-EU ticket buyers? - http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/05...t-card-review/ (courtesy of Raffles!)
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spmd2
All,

I apologise if this has been asked/debated before, but do people think it is worth buying non-£ tickets with your Premium Plus Amex?

By way of example, I have just bought 2x ex-EU (Oslo to Sydney) tickets in Club (going via HongKong and switching to Cathay for the HKG-SYD-HKG legs). The total cost with the BA shareholder discount came to 40,166 NOK (£3,930 or £1,965 pp) - a bargain, I thought.

I paid with my BA Amex thinking that i would like the 12k avios (£4k x 3). The fx fees amounted to £118. My alternative would have been to pay using a Santander Card i have which has no fx charges but obviously no avios.

Presumably, then the question is whether 1) i want to buy avios per se and 2) whether £118 for 12k is good value?

1) i must answer myself but can anyone help me with 2)?

If the answer to 1) is no, then perhaps the next best solution is to get one of these cards with no fx fees? A good idea perhaps for regular high-spend Ex-EU ticket buyers? - http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/05...t-card-review/ (courtesy of Raffles!)
If you telephone the UK BA office you can pay in GBP.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:06 am

One other thing to bear in mind is whether you need to use an Amex for your travel insurance cover to be valid.

I must admit that a combination of laziness and reliance on the Amex Plat insurance means that I almost always pay for foreign hotels, flights and car hire on an Amex, either the BA PP or the Plat. Occasionally I will use an Amex at hotel reservation and check-in with the intention of using a fee-free card at check-out, but I often can't be bothered or forget.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
Ah, thanks. I didn't know that was possible without fees etc., but that seems like a nice easy way around it assuming they convert into £ at the prevailing rate.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
It depends on your own situation, how badly you need the Avios and how you want to spend.

If I calculate correctly, your 12,000 Avios cost just under 1p each (0.983333p) which is close to the roughly 1p per Avios value that some of us calculate as reasonable value. That's cheaper than buying direct from BA or avios.com.

So it's neutral.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spmd2
Ah, thanks. I didn't know that was possible without fees etc., but that seems like a nice easy way around it assuming they convert into £ at the prevailing rate.
Yes, the airlines use an interchange rate that is very close to the spot rate.

There will be a booking fee for telephone issuing (£5) and a card fee (£5).

However, the ticket will qualify as issued in the UK, if you are hoping to make use of a Euro bonus accelerator or something.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
However, I do not think shareholder discount as used by the OP can be used for bookings made on the phone.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Doesn't this mean you need UK POS availability?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
However, I do not think shareholder discount as used by the OP can be used for bookings made on the phone.
Can the OP hold a shareholder reservation using the new "hold" feature, and then call and pay?—if the system provides him/her with a reference number in the usual way this should be possible. However OP might not get the £10 back, depends how it works.

Can a BA ticketing desk do the shareholder discount?

Originally Posted by BA6501
Doesn't this mean you need UK POS availability?
If the reservation is also made in the UK, yes. In my experience, EU and UK POS availability doesn't differ enormously, but I suppose it could in principle.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If the reservation is also made in the UK, yes. In my experience, EU and UK POS availability doesn't differ enormously, but I suppose it could in principle.
Just to add that I think someone has posted before that the uk call centres will look at EU pos as well if they can't get the fare you have found under uk pos. So I don't think if you call the uk line you are completely restricted to uk pos availability only.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Can a BA ticketing desk do the shareholder discount?
I believe shareholder discount is strictly online only, although I may be wrong.

I also suspect it might not offer the option to hold? I haven't had a look at it so I don't know but someone may have done can verify that?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
an alternative is the Lloyds AMEX Avios card which has no FX fees and offers double Avios for 6 months (so 2.5 (usual is 1.25) per £1). Only a little bit below the AMEX 3 Avios per £1.

Additionally, you also get an upgrade voucher after spending £7k on the card (though no idea how that works in practise as only just got one (personally, largely for said 6 month bonus, the FX fee free element and also to have an opportunity to earn Avios in places where they don't accept AMEX (it comes with a mastercard where you earn 1 Avios per £5 spend - not great at all but 'every little helps').
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
The Lloyds AmEx card is interesting. Be aware that it links to avios.com rather than BAEC Avios. No problem in transferring between the two, however the upgrade voucher relates to avios.com reservations only.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Roger
The Lloyds AmEx card is interesting. Be aware that it links to avios.com rather than BAEC Avios. No problem in transferring between the two, however the upgrade voucher relates to avios.com reservations only.
didnt know that. Can I move Avios from my BAEC account to Avios.com so that I can make a booking on there and then use the voucher? Or should I leave / collect enough on Avios.com to have for redemption there?

presumably this means, jokers and others BAEC 'features' can't be combined with an Avios.com booking?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris1979
didnt know that. Can I move Avios from my BAEC account to Avios.com so that I can make a booking on there and then use the voucher? Or should I leave / collect enough on Avios.com to have for redemption there?

presumably this means, jokers and others BAEC 'features' can't be combined with an Avios.com booking?
Yes. Also only upgrades WT+ to CW (or WT to WT+, ET to CE) so, at least in my view, limited usefulness. BA flights only, excluding ex-LCY.

I have one as well, not sure what I will spend it on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.