Wiki Posts
Search

CX F with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
CX F with Avios

Is it possible to redeem CX F with Avios? I can't find any availability (checked routes to HKG from LHR, ORD and JFK) in F (on direct flights) but lots in J.

Not knowing much about CX awards, I'm just unsure as to whether they don't release many and so it's a case of more careful looking, or whether they don't release any to BAEC members.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
It is possible to get F awards but they are sometimes hard to find.

CX does tend to release some award space close to the date of travel if the cabin is lightly loaded.

Bear in mind that these days most flights with a First cabin on CX will be on the 777 with only 6 seats available.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Is it possible to redeem CX F with Avios? I can't find any availability (checked routes to HKG from LHR, ORD and JFK) in F (on direct flights) but lots in J.

Not knowing much about CX awards, I'm just unsure as to whether they don't release many and so it's a case of more careful looking, or whether they don't release any to BAEC members.
Yes, perfectly possible to book F seats on CX on ba.com using avios. I have two such bookings for later this year. Keep searching, availability does come up. There is usually a reasonable amount of short notice availability in F as well.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Some of my best Avios redemptions have been on CX F.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is a seat in F on these nearby flights:

CX 250 (2) and 254 (1) on 21 August
CX 252 (2) and 253 (1) on 22 August
CX 252 (1) on 23 August

Just some examples, but they are available.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Some of my best Avios redemptions have been on CX F.
Agreed! Mr JtO and I flew from Hong Kong to Haneda recently in the nose of the 747, and it was a really fantastic experience - not least because it cost us a grand total of £53 and 60,000 Avios. I just wish it had been longer than four hours!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:36 am
Original Poster

That's great. I was looking well into next year, just as a dummy booking. Partly I wanted to see how many Avios would be needed for those really long flights (i.e. ex-ORD or JFK)! I saw the USA Today article about the longest flights from the US, which prompted this
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
That's great. I was looking well into next year, just as a dummy booking. Partly I wanted to see how many Avios would be needed for those really long flights (i.e. ex-ORD or JFK)! I saw the USA Today article about the longest flights from the US, which prompted this
There is a guy who keeps track of the longest flights in the world here. Not sure if it's in Trip Reports or TravelBuzz, but it's quite interesting.

Here is his personal blog...

http://weekendblitz.com/top-10-world...-stop-flights/
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is a guy who keeps track of the longest flights in the world here. Not sure if it's in Trip Reports or TravelBuzz, but it's quite interesting.
Thanks - I'll check it out. It's 105k in Avios from JFK-HKG in F and 16 hours on the plane. I cannot imagine doing that in one go in Y!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
I just booked LHR-HKG in CX F for two of us over Christmas and New Year. I used AwardNexus to scan availability and dates came up fairly regularly while waiting for the perfect dates...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Morland
I just booked LHR-HKG in CX F for two of us over Christmas and New Year. I used AwardNexus to scan availability and dates came up fairly regularly while waiting for the perfect dates...
Not come across AwardNexus. I'll check it out over lunchtime. Need something to do while we wait for cws's thread to be reopened!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The new service (evening departure ex-HKG, redeye ex-ORD) has no F, so ORD F might be a bit tight in terms of redemption, but I do happen to see F avios redemption popping up on quite a few number of days (more than MPC, ironically lol).
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
Agreed! Mr JtO and I flew from Hong Kong to Haneda recently in the nose of the 747, and it was a really fantastic experience - not least because it cost us a grand total of £53 and 60,000 Avios. I just wish it had been longer than four hours!
I did that - HND to HKG one afternoon, only 2 of us in F, 30k Avios and about £30. What a wonderful way to spend 4h30...superb food, drink and service.

I may have been slightly "refreshed" by the time I arrived in Wanchai.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Short haul F on CX have to be some of the best F flights I have ever taken.

It is just a shame that you run the not insignificant risk of an equipment change on CX on their Asia routes. Although HND seems to be a pretty safe bet.

I had 4 different sectors downgraded from F to J in the last week alone for flights in December.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:03 am
Original Poster

I'll have to bear that in mind for the future. What's so great about the service? Is it like full F just in a shorter flight?

They look pretty great Avios value. Is it similar to the LHR-DME service on BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.