Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bitter ex cancelled flight!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by paul4040
They've also earned the expectation that cancelled tickets can simply be reinstated on a whim.

Not always a good idea, commercially...
Oh come on. No-one in their right mind would cancel a non-cancellable/non-refundable flight in normal circumstances. The number of times something similar to this happens must be tiny.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by moonbeam
its my sister's wedding in Marrakech i will be attending,

the Virgin flight is for my best friends Birthday, my ex was a +1 for both events!
Poor you but I thought you said they only cancelled your seat not their own, how are they hoping to be a +1 without you?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Poor you but I thought you said they only cancelled your seat not their own, how are they hoping to be a +1 without you?
I have no idea what they will be doing my tickets were not on same booking!

They will not be welcome at either event for sure!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by louie-m
Oh come on. No-one in their right mind would cancel a non-cancellable/non-refundable flight in normal circumstances. The number of times something similar to this happens must be tiny.
You've obviously not worked for a Virgin company then - I have, and the continuous "Virgin ethos" of just doing whatever the customer wants whether it's warranted or not is a giant boiling frog.

If I ever did travel VS and needed some goodwill off them, I'd expect it more, and what's more, I'd be armed with lots of examples where Virgin have torn up their terms and conditions on a whim. Passnger-friendly in the short term, I agree. Not so much in the long term.

The net effect of all of this is a much lower level of dissatisfaction that a customer has before they file a complaint (in essence they tolerate less) - which comes with its own costs to handle. Additionally, when a complaint does arrive, the customer relations team has less firepower to uphold the company's bottom line.

The Virgin company I worked for is in a regulated industry with around 20 competitors, and is widely considered by many to be a market leader in its field. The Virgin company received by some distance the most complaints per 100,000 customer interactions, 30% more than the nearest other competitor. Each complaint cost an average of £24 just to handle. That does not include the cost of any compensation given to the complainant.

The regulator's report is publicly available and I'm happy to supply a link by DM.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angatol
How about PMing BA Executive Club (Jeni?) on here? This seems like the kind of rare situation that might prompt a goodwill exception, especially if you point out that Virgin did it.
BA won't give a hoot what Virgin allegedly did. I think it's unfair on Jeni to be expected to sort out a situation caused by a domestic tiff unless there has been some foul play involved with the cancellation.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
This.

If you were in this position and thought you couldn't travel, you'd just no-show in case the position changed.

So on that basis, once paid for, these tickets *could* be reinstated on a whim except for the wholly artificial step of cancelling them (i.e., waiving rights under the contract for carriage).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You'd probably be surprised how often similar "mishaps" occur:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...cant-make.html
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I wonder how Judge Judy would rule ?

Interesting question. The motive was not to defraud (ie to take funds with deception) but just to spite.
I don't think asking what Judge Judy would do advances this thread much because I strongly suspect she would rule:

a. in favour of OP if OP was suing the ex;
b. in favour of BA if OP was suing them.

It seems clear BA has acted in accordance with its terms and conditions, and aside from any 'goodwill gesture' points I can't see they have any liability to OP. The ex, on the other hand, could be sued for the cost of any replacement ticket...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:35 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I wonder how Judge Judy would rule ?

Interesting question. The motive was not to defraud (ie to take funds with deception) but just to spite.
The most likely outcome of a county court (based on what has been disclosed so far):

OP v BA - Judgment for BA
OP v Ex - Judgment for OP

Personally I think BA are being very unfair with the OP in the reported circumstances, this is a situation where a little consideration could afforded.

The suggestion to connect Jeni is a good one, clearly those at the end of BA's phone lines are unwilling to assist.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The most likely outcome of a county court (based on what has been disclosed so far):

OP v BA - Judgment for BA
OP v Ex - Judgment for OP

Personally I think BA are being very unfair with the OP in the reported circumstances, this is a situation where a little consideration could afforded.

The suggestion to connect Jeni is a good one, clearly those at the end of BA's phone lines are unwilling to assist.
Ha. Only if the OP can prove they paid the bitter ex.

I am sorry that you've been so roundly shafted by your ex but expecting BA to do anything about it. Cancelling a non refundable ticket does sound the hight of childishness but you have no proof that you paid for these tickets.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angatol
What part of "might prompt a goodwill exception" did you not understand exactly?
If we all send in queries in the hope that they ''might'' generate a gesture of goodwill then her inbox will take even longer to work through. We've been advised before the BA lurker presence on FT is to solve problems relating to the BAEC.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:39 am
uk1
Suspended

I would have thought it perfectly reasonable to ask whether BA might "uncancel" this ticket in these circumstances. They are unusual.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MickV
Ha. Only if the OP can prove they paid the bitter ex.

I am sorry that you've been so roundly shafted by your ex but expecting BA to do anything about it. Cancelling a non refundable ticket does sound the hight of childishness but you have no proof that you paid for these tickets.
If asked for proof I have email of him sending me bank details and also bank statement confirming said funds!

Loyalty is a two way street I have been a loyal Ba flyer for many years! It would have been nice if they had been a little more flexible!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
moonbeam - sorry to hear of your problem, which was the last thing you needed after the end of a relationship.

Some lessons here for others to learn from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.