Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY-LHR connection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by nux
The HMRC regulations for APD quite clearly defines what qualifies as a connecting flight that does not attract APD, and separate tickets as described is not covered and so the carrier is still liable for APD.
That's far from clear.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:10 am

"I don't even count the number of times I have had major problems on the DLR"
For the last few months, DLR has been running at over 99% 'on time'. You must have been particularly unlucky.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:24 am

Thank you WindowongheAside.

Our journey from T5 to LCY cost about £28 on the HEx and £46 on the black cab from Paddington station to LCY. Total £74.

Some one mentioned 'so much for so little comfort'! We'll the HEx was very comfortable thank you. It was extremely quick and very clean and air conditioned. Personally I thought £74 wasn't too bad all things considered.

The black cab was comfortable with only 2 adults and children in it. We had plenty of room, especially compared to the crush you can often get on the tube or DLR depending on the time of day. No escalators to endure or steps and no crowded platforms and dirty air. The views from the cab versus the tube go without saying!

When we got a quote for a private cab, either from LHR or Paddington and weighed up all the other options including the fun factor we decided that 'our' choice was the best 'value' for us. Let each traveller make their own valued decision based on the facts.

I must add that we used our Network Rail Family & Friends Railcard to obtain a 34% discount for the adults and a wrapping 69% discount for the children's tickets!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
"I don't even count the number of times I have had major problems on the DLR"
For the last few months, DLR has been running at over 99% 'on time'. You must have been particularly unlucky.
I've never (except for planned engineering works) had problems with the DLR either.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The only trouble I've ever had with the DLR is forgetting to check out on arrival at LCY!!!

It does seem to trundle along at an incredibly slow pace, though, when you are racing from LHR to LCY and hoping not to miss a flight!!!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:48 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
I booked a 3:20h connection from LCY to LHR - ba.com says they recommend mininum 3.5hrs and the MCT is 3h. I wonder if anybody managed to convice BA to rebook yourself from LCY to LHR to get a seamless connection? The LCY flight also seems to be quite full.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
I booked a 3:20h connection from LCY to LHR ... I wonder if anybody managed to convice BA to rebook yourself from LCY to LHR to get a seamless connection?
If your ticket is changeable, I'm sure that can be done for change fee (if any) plus fare difference (if any).

If you wanted a "seamless connection", why didn't you book it in the first place?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:14 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I booked a 3:20h connection from LCY to LHR - ba.com says they recommend mininum 3.5hrs and the MCT is 3h. I wonder if anybody managed to convice BA to rebook yourself from LCY to LHR to get a seamless connection? The LCY flight also seems to be quite full.
I wouldn't be sweating on that at all - I had a 3:05h connection a couple of weeks ago, used the DLR-Tube option (via Bank given it was a Sunday and therefore much quieter), and had time for a shower in the T5 arrivals lounge (having come in on BA2) and breakfast in the F lounge before my flight to DUB.

There's no way BA will re-book you FOC - they know you'll have plenty of time to make the flight in reality, and if something goes horribly wrong in transit they'll deal with it when you get to LHR.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the potential for further Tube strikes, I'd be sweating!!!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:32 am

Got a similar transfer in Oct LCY - LGW - looking at getting a taxi as can't change my flight to City without it costing me a fair bit of cash.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
BA will have no problem rebooking you on payment of the change fee and fare difference.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there a reason why you didn't book the seamless connection yourself from the start?

Was it to do with prices?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've read all of the other posts but wouild appriciate input;

T5 to LCY at 7am on a Weds; Im thinking Picadilly to Green Park, Jubilee to DLR.

The main reason is that I think the traffic will rule out a cab

Has anyone any experience of doing this transfer at a similar time?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by smckay

Has anyone any experience of doing this transfer at a similar time?
The timings in this thread would still be good I would say. And yes a cab would be far more variable, and somewhat unlikely to be quicker.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18654233-post53.html
Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Hitting Central London on a weekday morning around 8am - hope you're travelling light! Normally I think there's merit in HEX to Paddington, Bakerloo to Baker Street, Jubillee to Canning Town, but at that time I think Paddington might be pretty rammed.

Piccadilly to St Pancras and then high speed to Stratford for DLR also doable - trade off in time and money for comfort though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.