Search

Change in Avios Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, JJ Ruby, Accor Platinum
Thumbs up Change in Avios Booking

Hi Fellow FTrs!

I made an Avios booking earlier this month during the 50% off Avios redemption sale, GRU-LHR-GRU in WT in November for 30.000 Avios + US$ 257 in fees (luckily law in Brazil prohibits airlines from charging fuel surcharges on flights departing from here - and as long as the return flight is on the same e-ticket, this apply to the whole itinerary )

Now I have two questions about my booking:

1) If I want do change it - provided there is X class availability of course - would I need to pay the difference to the normal price in Avios?

2) I just checked the PNR on Manage My Booking on ba.com and it says the departure time of the first flight was changed from 20:50 to 21:10. A mere 20 min change, but would it allow me to change the booking free of charge?

Btw, the booking was made thought avios.com

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
with 2 - no. 20 minutes does not count as a significant change I think it has to be something like 2 hours before a FOC change kicks in.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
And question 1 - yes you would.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
with 2 - no. 20 minutes does not count as a significant change I think it has to be something like 2 hours before a FOC change kicks in.
I'm not sure there are any clearly defined rules about what the minimum amount of time is, so as long as you have a clearly justifiable story, you should be able to argue for a free cancellation (if that's what you want). I know that I have been able to cancel a booking with a 30 min change. As it happens this 30 min delay upset another flight connection and I couldn't rearrange everything to make it work, hence I argued that I needed to cancel.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I'm not sure there are any clearly defined rules about what the minimum amount of time is, so as long as you have a clearly justifiable story, you should be able to argue for a free cancellation (if that's what you want). I know that I have been able to cancel a booking with a 30 min change. As it happens this 30 min delay upset another flight connection and I couldn't rearrange everything to make it work, hence I argued that I needed to cancel.
The 2 hours are what I've read on here previously.

Of course if there are connections then a 20 minute change can make the difference between being over or under an MCT but the OP is flying point to point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.