Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
BA is one of the airlines that had avoided overflying the whole of Ukraine even before the tragic incident of MH (as opposed to just the areas over Crimea restricted by the FAA and Eurocontrol), even though this came at a greater cost. ^

Here is what airlines did:
  • Actively avoided Ukraine (except for flights terminating in the area): AF, BA, CX, LX, DL, EK, UA
  • Overflew Ukraine: BR, KL, LH, MH, TG, SQ, VS, AI, AY, LX, EK, QR, EY
  • Do not have routes over Ukraine (any statements about not overflying Ukraine are irrelevant): GA
Print Wikipost

Has BA been avoiding flying over Ukraine?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Has BA been avoiding flying over Ukraine?

Looking at a dozen or so flight paths of LHR-SIN and SIN-LHR on Flightaware, ALL BA flights have avoided flying over Ukraine and the border with Russia. This even if on the same exact day the SQ flights flew over Ukraine, implying that it was most likely a conscious decision on the part of BA to take a longer, more costly, route (and some paths are quide decidedly crooked as a result).

If this was an actual BA policy, enormous kudos for making a behind-the-scene safety decision of enormous value, which only the unfortunate event brought to the surface.

BA operations, you earned a huge amount of goodwill on the part of myself and my family.

^ ^ ^
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
According to BBC News just now, BA had been advised not to fly over that area since the start of June this year.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
^ indeed!

I was just thinking this, and pretty glad I am on BA then next week's SIN-LHR
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What about BA840 daily to Kiev?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What about BA840 daily to Kiev?
Without looking up the actual route, that would fly in over the western part of Ukraine, whereas the unrest is happening in the east.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The airspace in the east of Ukraine has been closed according to reports on the bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28356745
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:01 pm

Yes.

The pilot made an announcement on a recent BKK-LHR I flew apologising for the delay stating it was because we had been routed to 'avoid Ukrainian airspace due to the current events in the country'.

I can only presume this has been standard BA protocol for the past couple of months.

Presumably BA were acting upon recommendation from someone as I don't think said routing was mandatory.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kkp0897
The airspace in the east of Ukraine has been closed according to reports on the bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28356745
Spot the difference:

German airline Lufthansa said it had decided to "fly a wide detour around east Ukrainian airspace with immediate effect".

It said the decision would affect four of its flights on Thursday. "The safety of our passengers is our top priority," a spokesperson added.

Similarly, Virgin Atlantic said it would re-route "a small number" of its flights on Thursday, following the incident.

"We do not anticipate significant delays and are planning for increased flight lengths on impacted flights of approximately 15 minutes," a spokesperson added.

British Airways said its flights did not use Ukrainian airspace, with the exception of a once-a-day service between Heathrow and Kiev.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:16 pm

Yes BA has been avoiding the affected are for months following advice from security services and Eurocontrol/ICAO.

The western side of Ukraine is a different kettle of fish and no warnings are in force.

Routes to the Far East are either via Northern Europe/Russia/Mongolia/China, or for SE Asia Turkey/Armenia/Iran/Afganistan/Pakistan/India etc.

Upper level airspace and routes in the region affected are now closed until further notice.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Routes to the Far East are either via Northern Europe/Russia/Mongolia/China, or for SE Asia Turkey/Armenia/Iran/Afganistan/Pakistan/India etc.
I have to admit flying across Iran Afghanistan and Pakistan are always a bottom clenching moment for me over that air space. Should I be worried as my whiskey drinking over that region do turn into doubles!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:37 pm

I have to admit flying across Iran Afghanistan and Pakistan are always a bottom clenching moment for me over that air space. Should I be worried as my whiskey drinking over that region do turn into doubles!
Iran are very friendly, we identify ourselves on an air defence frequency to put them at ease, then we are dealt with most politely by the civilian controllers and other get offered excellent shortcuts. Pakistan requires a forward call to let them know we are on the way. Afghanistan is similar but due to terrain we follow a procedural service due to limited radar coverage for the most part. It may be reassuring to know that below you in Afghanistan are a large number of military coalition aircraft. I am often more concerned over India and the Bay of Bengal due to poor comms.

As for the whiskey turning to doubles, your greatest risk is a toppling of your internal gyro.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:43 pm

Some of my favourite in-flight views have been over Afghanistan!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Sigwx
I am often more concerned over India and the Bay of Bengal due to poor comms.
That's encouraging... not. I'm off to India and then West Bengal in 10 days (BA and Air India)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
That's encouraging... not. I'm off to India and then West Bengal in 10 days (BA and Air India)
Whilst poor, they are not dangerous. We use a system of Pilot/ATC txt messaging known as CPDLC over parts of India so as to alleviate the problem. Right now the Monsoon is of far more interest.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Sigwx - it's really helpful to get your insight into how pilots deal with various countries' ATC - I've certainly learnt something new today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.