Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
Bristol FT DO Events, Friday, the 19th Sept. / Saturday 20th Sept. Information (in chronological order)

Friday 10:00: Tour of Rolls Royce Bristol Heritage Centre.

Background:

The Sir Roy Fedden Heritage Centre houses an unrivalled collection of Bristol-built engines ranging from the Jupiter, the most successful aero engine of the 1920s, through the wartime Bristol Hercules and Centaurus sleeve-valve radials to famous jets such as the Harrier’s Pegasus and Concorde’s mighty Olympus.

The display includes de Havilland and Blackburn engines, firms that merged with Bristol Siddeley before the final consolidation with Rolls-Royce.

Fee: Donation to charity of £ 4 or £ 5 greatly appreciated.
Duration: The tour will last roughly 2 hours.
Getting to the venue: Meeting at 09:50 at the main Rolls Royce visitors reception at No1 gate. Site map available here.

Some car sharing occurring, BotB vehicle filled (4), thundercat has kindly offered to take 3 (4 in a pinch) and courtster has also kindly offered...please PM them if this is of interest.

Address:
Rolls Royce PLC
Gloucester Rd
Bristol BS34 7QE

Attendees: 9 FTers

BotB
Bristoltraveller
courtster (please urgently provide Ikaz with your details in order to take part)
francismc
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
PETER01
thundercat

(We'll be having lunch somewhere afterwards so if anyone wants to join us then please do PM us!)

Friday 17:00: Main DO Event - Gathering at Watershed

Details:

Meeting up @ Watershed Cafe/Bar where there is free wifi and a decent selection of drinks as well as snacks.

There will be some A4 sheets on the tables where we are located with FT and BA logos to help find us!

Drinks/Food Menu:

http://www.watershed.co.uk/food-drink/menus/

Getting to the venue:
You can easily walk from the train station or anywhere downtown to here, if you are driving then the Millennium square car park is the place to park for convenience. (the top of park street is also good and cheaper but does mean a small walk down to the waterfront.

Address:

Watershed
1 Canons Road
Harbourside
Bristol
BS1 5TX

Attendees: 15 FTers

BotB
BristolTraveller
CCayley
corporate-wage-slave
Cymro
francismc
haasha (arriving late)
hawklx
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
PETER01
pinkcat
thejohn
thejohn's +1

Friday 20:30: Main DO Event 2 -Evening Meal

Details:

Assuming everyone will have shown up by this time and want to eat something to help soak up the liquids, we'll go as group to this restaurant Steak of the Art (it is a steakhouse with local produce but does also cater for vegetarians so we are hoping this will work for everyone).

They have an events room that can hold 25 so we have booked it and hope that everyone shows up and is alright with this choice @:-)

Drinks/Food Menu:

Steak of the Art Menu.pdf Please note it takes a few seconds to load...be patient!

They asked us to warn them if we would need vegetarian meals or if we would want anything from the "Menu Rapide" that they do not normally serve during evenings. An example of their specials menu can be found here, it changes every day (with some similarities).

Getting to the venue:
The venue is only a minute or two walk from the Watershed and so very convenient, and they take Amex.

Address:

Steak of the Art
Cathedral Walk
Harbourside
Bristol
BS1 5LN

Attendees: 14 FTers

BotB
BristolTraveller
CCayley
Cymro
francismc
haasha
hawklx
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
PETER01
pinkcat
thejohn
thejohn's +1

Further Foolishness to follow, after the meal until the wee hours...

Venue: Goodness only knows...rest assured there will be some action until well into the new day...If you arrive this late...PM BotB or Ikaz for current location...

Saturday 10:30: Brunch/Sightseeing walk back downtown afterwards

Details:

The best place to take in the views and have something to eat is at the White Lion Bar (part of the Avon Gorge Hotel) in Clifton.

Getting to the venue:
This is generally a taxi ride away from the downtown area but we will walk back to the downtown area as part of an informal tour of Bristol after eating to get some exercise and enjoy the sights.

Address:

The Avon Gorge Hotel
Sion Hill
Clifton
Bristol
BS8 4LD

Attendees: 10 FTers

BotB
CCayley (maybe)
haasha
hawklx (maybe)
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
pinkcat (maybe)
thejohn
thejohn's +1

Not too late to join us! @:-) Open to all...

Other Useful Info:

Hotels:

Hotel info in this post

What to See and Do when not at the DO!

What to see and Do
Print Wikipost

Bristol FT DO 19 Sept 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
For folks arriving from London - do I assume correctly that the evening part is going to be somewhere near Bristol Temple Meads train station?

I am afraid I won't able to arrive earlier than 18:14 (maybe even 19:12), so checking if someone will still be up around the time I arrive
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by francismc
Does have to mean flying the orange plane from Edinburgh though :0
Or BA to LHR, BA to DUB, EI to BRS. Because that's a totally legitimate routing that's been done before for the purposes of Tier Points.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by haasha
For folks arriving from London - do I assume correctly that the evening part is going to be somewhere near Bristol Temple Meads train station?

I am afraid I won't able to arrive earlier than 18:14 (maybe even 19:12), so checking if someone will still be up around the time I arrive
Harbourside is less than 10 minutes in a taxi from Temple Meads, and at 19:30 will only just be getting started. (It's a nice 15 minutes walk along Redcliffe Way and over Queens Square, if it's a balmy autumnal evening).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
Harbourside is less than 10 minutes in a taxi from Temple Meads, and at 19:30 will only just be getting started. (It's a nice 15 minutes walk along Redcliffe Way and over Queens Square, if it's a balmy autumnal evening).
Thanks. Silly me should learn to read one day, it's all in the first post. Or get better memory implanted.

Hoping for a walk!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Ok, I am confirmed. Invited myself to stay with friends and have told them that I would be busy on the actual evening.

Don't think I'll be able to join any daytime activity but definitely up for evening DO.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
At last! An FT "DO" I should able to attend.

Please put me down for the Friday evening (It will be subject to wherever work sends me but I'll make very effort to get there)

Thanks
FB
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for all the updates everyone, I believe the wiki now reflects the current situation:

18 confirmed for the evening DO on Friday the 16th Sept. at this stage ^

Sorry to see some people not be able to make it but completely understood, finding a date that works for everyone is very hard! Maybe another DO or if this one is successful...next year @:-)

I have to say that Airbus has initially turned us down for the tour on Friday as they apparently only give tours for educational purposes to schools and such and not for aviation fans.

So, we are trying to see if Rolls Royce would be possible and failing that we may have to improvise...I'll try to keep you updated as we know more.

As others have posted, there are plenty of hotel chains and choices in the city, including a few Hiltons, Marriott, Accor and IHG, I'll try to post links and current pricing for those later this week.

If we stay around 20 then we'll see what we do for a place to meet/eat/chat...of course, the more the merrier so anyone still sitting on the fence, please do come and join us. ^
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
I assumed you'd have your work cut out with Airbus.

I know it's not directly aerospace related, but have you thought about calling the Bloodhound SSC team?

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/gr...chnical-centre

Having been to a few open days at the technical centre myself, I think everyone would appreciate the work that is going into it. That RR EJ200 Typhoon engine should certainly give it some kudos round these parts

Last edited by courtster; Jul 21, 2014 at 10:06 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Very good

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
Or BA to LHR, BA to DUB, EI to BRS. Because that's a totally legitimate routing that's been done before for the purposes of Tier Points.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
It's a shame you're doing 19th Sept rather than 26th. My FT do debut will have to be put off for another time, although I particularly fancied Bristol having lived there for a couple of years. I'll be on Ba768 on 19th Sept so while you're all eating on the harbour side in Bristol I'll be enjoying a CE dinner on my way to OSL. Hopefully the cod will be on offer!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by BotB

I have to say that Airbus has initially turned us down for the tour on Friday as they apparently only give tours for educational purposes to schools and such and not for aviation fans.
DTKWWA????
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
If I am not driving the entire contents of son's room back to Uni, I would like to come from the Fri evening onwards
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Sorry for the long silence, I did want to wait until the JER DO was over before making a lot of noise about this one...So expect much more frequent updates and info from this point onwards. Ikaz and I are looking forward to meeting everyone in Sept. Right, first some tidying up...

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
It's a shame you're doing 19th Sept rather than 26th. My FT do debut will have to be put off for another time, although I particularly fancied Bristol having lived there for a couple of years. I'll be on Ba768 on 19th Sept so while you're all eating on the harbour side in Bristol I'll be enjoying a CE dinner on my way to OSL. Hopefully the cod will be on offer!
Shame, sorry to hear that BerksFlyer, maybe another time (or next year if this one is successful ^ ) Enjoy your trip.

Originally Posted by chris1979
DTKWWA????
Apparently they do

Ah, well, it was worth a try. Will be great to catch up again chris1979, have you decided if you are going HBO or not yet?

Originally Posted by pinkcat
If I am not driving the entire contents of son's room back to Uni, I would like to come from the Fri evening onwards
Excellent, I hope your son realises the seriousness of the situation pinkcat?

Hope to see you there and maybe we can show these young people that there is still lots of life in our 'old' bones. :-:

Hotels I can recommend will be posted in separate post below...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Bristol Hotels to consider for the DO

Prices are indicative and valid as of the time of this post, they are lowest price for date of the DO.

N.B. this list is not extensive, the ones listed are ones known to have decent ratings on Trip Advisor or that I have stayed at / had friends stay at. As always YMMV, please feel free to choose others!

Okay, now that the caveat is over...here is the list of hotels I would suggest...

In Alphabetical Order by Chain (just so I don't show any favouritism!)

Accor:

Ibis Bristol Centre £ 61

Ibis Bristol Temple Meads Quay £ 56

Mercure Bristol Holland House

Staying at Holland House:

chris1979

Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel £ 79

Novotel Bristol Centre £ 71

Club Carlson

Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol £ 68

Staying at Radisson Blu:

thejohn+1

Hilton

DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol City Centre £ 66

Staying at DoubleTree City Centre:

francismc
holmedown+1
thundercat

Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre £ 71

Hotel Du Vin

Hotel du Vin & Bistro £ 148

IHG

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre £ 73

There are several Holiday Inn Express hotels dotted around Bristol as well

Marriott

Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre £ 79

Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel £ 105

Premier Inn

Premier Inn Bristol City Centre King Street £ 73

There are several others around the city as well but this one is good and very well located with good reviews.

And two hotels I wouldn't suggest:

The Bristol Hotel (used to be the old Jury's Inn) directly on the harbour. Why? The rooms are very thin walled and you will not get a good nights sleep. Excellent location though. There are better hotels nearby that are cheaper.

Hilton Bristol On the Northern part of Bristol, nowhere near the city centre. This hotel has very poor room quality and is far away from everything.

Locals attending but not staying at hotels:

BotB
BristolTraveller
hawklx
Ikaz

Last edited by BotB; Aug 31, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:31 am
Original Poster

New banner added to the wiki, which contains some pics I have taken from around Bristol over the years, not going to win any prizes but hopefully adds some colour and whets the appetite for those still thinking about joining in. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.