Search

Avios (and cash!) refund

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Avios (and cash!) refund

Here's one for the learned members of this forum;

The family and I are travelling YYZ to LHR on the 22nd June and return booked back for 12th July. Trip 'Paid' for with Avios and of course cash for the taxes, fees etc etc.

We've decided to extend our stay a week so I did a quick check on Avios availability the following week by entering a single booking LHR-YYZ and yes good number of seats available. On then going into the original booking to make the change the system shows no availability for the following week return on the same dates.

So, I've made another booking for LHR to YYZ as a single on 'paying' again with Avios and cash for taxes etc for the 20th July.

The question is if we simply 'no show' for the original return flight will we get Avios and cash refunded, or, do I have to cancel that leg for the refund.

Many thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you no show, I doubt BA would proactively refund your miles and cash.
I would cancel your unwanted return and insure the miles are reinstated and cash refunded.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SFO, when I go into MMB it will only allow me to cancel the entire reservation so I guess I'll have to wait until we've flown the first leg and then cancel!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would call and have an agent split and cancel the return. Would also free up those extra seats for others.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
I would call and have an agent split and cancel the return. Would also free up those extra seats for others.
Good advice although worried about the horror stories here about phone wait times!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by VivJ
Thanks SFO, when I go into MMB it will only allow me to cancel the entire reservation so I guess I'll have to wait until we've flown the first leg and then cancel!
Please call and cancel the inbound at least 24hrs before your outbound flight departs.
Cancellations made after the first flight is flown would result in no Avios refund,just relevant taxes etc.

Last edited by cbagent; Jun 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbagent
Please call and cancel the inbound at least 24hrs before your outbound flight departs.
Cancellations made after the first flight is flown would result in no Avios refund,just relevant taxes etc.
Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by cbagent
...and wouldn't be able to be done online anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.